Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Yom tov
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:02 pm
I have started to think about this 3 day yom tov coming up...either I buy clothing or food. No clothing for me, but my kids have outgrown everything and I don't knowwhat to do. Where do I turn for help?

amother
Arcticblue  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:14 pm
In the same boat. I wish I had answers. My son needs pajamas - the ones he has are 2 sizes too small and are now in tatters. But the credit cards are nearing maxed out and how will I buy food? I would love a new snood - the ones I have are fallling apart but those credit cards!!!! and never mind the sales popping up all over my neighborhood - cash and carry - ha!Hashem should help us all. I know and believe that He will.

ramateshkolmom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:18 pm
Maybe you can post your location and gender and sizes and we can help you with the clothes.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:18 pm
Personally I would choose food over clothes. The kids can wear handmedowns but you have to eat

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:25 pm
What did they wear on shabbos?

Busybee5

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:32 pm
Are there any clothes gemachim where you live? You need to get free or very cheap clothes and whatever food you can afford for yom tov. It doesn't have to be meat. Nice chicken, shnitzels are perfect.

mom!  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
In the same boat. I wish I had answers. My son needs pajamas - the ones he has are 2 sizes too small and are now in tatters. But the credit cards are nearing maxed out and how will I buy food? I would love a new snood - the ones I have are fallling apart but those credit cards!!!! and never mind the sales popping up all over my neighborhood - cash and carry - ha!Hashem should help us all. I know and believe that He will.

What size? I have boys pajamas in multiple sizes to give away. Lakewood and surrounding

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:34 pm
Are there any rummage groups near you or gemachs? That's a greay way to find free clothes for your kids. I would look there for clothes and focus on food for yt.

Also, look for local food banks for some food. There is likely kosher food available. Also, speak to your rav about finding resources to help you get through yt.

m-u-a-mama

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:30 pm
mom! wrote:
What size? I have boys pajamas in multiple sizes to give away. Lakewood and surrounding

Same here in size 2T.
Also have a few Shabbos outfits for boys 12-18 & 18-24 months barely worn . Gorgeous stuff from one season ago.
Op it that doesn’t help u lmk maybe I can make a new post.

foreverwaiting

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:43 pm
Ive got some 24m and 2t boy stuff in fr/five towns area if that's helpful

Also happy to give you some food from my pantry and freezer. Chicken, tuna, cereal, pb. Please pm if that's helpful.

Life got so expensive!

amother
  Arcticblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:40 pm
mom! wrote:

Thank you! Size 5 but how would I connect with you?

amother
Whitewash  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:45 pm
Literally same boat. Not making it as it is. Add yom tov to that. My teens/ pre teens want to feel good in what they wear, maybe one hand me down but they each need 2 new things. Also shoes.
I have one winter appropriate shabbos outfit, not even thinking to add to that.
It’s so hard. I wish there was more help. (Not even thinking about food yet).

amother
Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:51 pm
Klal yisroel has enough money for you to buy clothing and food for you ! Is there a tomchei Shabbos in your area ?

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:53 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Klal yisroel has enough money for you to buy clothing and food for you ! Is there a tomchei Shabbos in your area ?

Somehow it doesn’t trickle down to the working middle class.

mom!

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 10:52 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Thank you! Size 5 but how would I connect with you?

Please pm.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:02 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

All the help doesn't go to the working class.
In my community there is only help if you are so poor you can't pay basic rent/food or you are chinuch/kollel (even if spouse has a good job). It is awful there is nothing for those of us who work but have holes in our shoes.

erm

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:15 pm
All new clothing for ladies, children and teenagers. Local stores (posh, the lingerie shop, talking fashion, elegant etc.) donate their end of season clothing that didn't sell.
Prices range: $6-$25
Open Sundays: 10:00-4:00
call for other times

1301 Ave K
Entrance on East 13, through metal gate

Call or Text for Info
646-318-0071
718-490-0999

giftedmom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:20 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Literally same boat. Not making it as it is. Add yom tov to that. My teens/ pre teens want to feel good in what they wear, maybe one hand me down but they each need 2 new things. Also shoes.
I have one winter appropriate shabbos outfit, not even thinking to add to that.
It’s so hard. I wish there was more help. (Not even thinking about food yet).

If you can swing it I saw some great things for teens on Ali this season. Pretty much identical to what stores are selling. Shoes too.

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:36 pm
giftedmom wrote:
If you can swing it I saw some great things for teens on Ali this season. Pretty much identical to what stores are selling. Shoes too.

Their stuff is not cheap.

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 6:56 am
amother Whitewash wrote:

By Chasidim it does. Everyone is invited to any clothing or shoe event and the rav of shuls give out money for groceries too all congregants. I thought anyone can get tomchei Shabbos ? Its just not a good feeling to be a taker
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics