Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Trash chutes locked Brooklyn building

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:47 am
I live in an apartment complex building in Brooklyn NY and the superintendent locked all the trash chutes in the building. There is no way to access the basement unless you go outside. He put a sign "closed for maintenance" on all the trash chute doors but it's obvious it's not broken. He just does not want to clean. This means that even if you are on floor 5 6 etc you have to go outside to get rid of your garbage and walk down steps outside and put it in the basement. Now there are insects in the building. It's also a safety risk imagine if someone Gd forbid is elderly they have to go outside and walk down steps just to get the garbage out of their apartment? ALL trash chutes in the building are locked for over a month??? and there is no access to basement at all except from outside by steps....

How in the world is this legal??? I am so upset. The landlord won't do anything. I complained to 311. So far nothing. Should I Sue?

Molly Weasley

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:20 pm
According to this, it's nyc law. Remind your landlord.

https://up.codes/s/refuse-chute

SYA

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:44 pm
I know of a building that locked the chute rooms because of mice and rat infestation. They cleaned the rooms and put down traps and bait. Not sure what happened after.

mommy100

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:57 pm
In my building when that happened one of the neighbors took a screwdriver and unlocked them all. No one has said a word since

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 4:46 pm
My elderly parents live in an apartment building with no access to the garbage shoots (out of order). This causes my parents who can barely walk to painfully bring down the trash down many flights of stairs (no elevator) . It's hard enough for them to walk down the steps, how much more so shlepping a bag. This has made me do angry I told my parents I'm calling 311 and calling the city health department. My parents don't want me to as they feel the landlords (who live in the building - I hope you recognize yourselves because it's absolutely unconscionable, it's elder abuse and you will have to answer to Hashem after 120 ) will know who the complaint is from even if made anonymously. Sheer wickedness!

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:36 pm
Our building did the same for almost half a year now, and God forbid someone puts their bag outside their door for a short time until it can be taken down

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:37 pm
Why so worried about the landlords? Call them out on it. Call 311 every day until something happens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries