Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I just can’t understand it-and I can’t take it either!
  Previous  1  2  3 9 10  11  12  Next

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:33 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Seems like salary isn't the issue at play over here...

It would be - if he chv no longer has it.

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:33 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
What about tuition? Or is that included in child care?

Tuition is childcare - we pay $28k for tuition for 2 kids, $30k for a nanny that we share and then $4k for camp

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:35 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
Tuition is childcare - we pay $28k for tuition for 2 kids, $30k for a nanny that we share and then $4k for camp

So your tuition expenses are much lower than OP's. Right there is 30k more.

amother
  Blush  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:36 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Presumably his job is tied to his location. Most good jobs are.

And therefore? The point I made that his salary is excellent even though they're out of the tri state area still stands. And so does my question: Where in the world do they live??

I obviously don't expect an answer, just really curious.

amother
  Tangerine  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
Bh we don't need anything fancy -- I picked the cheapest monthly plan. Something that made a big difference for us was having the kids and me on my insurance and my husband on his. For a family plan with either mine or my husbands company, we'd be paying about $8-900, but for an employee w/dependents plan at my company it's about $350 and for just my husband on his plan is about $100. I don't think people typically consider splitting it like this, but for us it's a huge cost saver. In addition, we do put $100 a month into a HSA, which my company matches with $150 a month and that accumulates pretty quickly if you don't use it. Small bills l pay out of pocket for and try to save my HSA for a birth, which is expensive on my plan since the actual health insurance isn't great.

Are you sure your numbers are monthly and not per paycheck?

Very very cheap health insurance. If your numbers are accurate you’re paying $4,800 per year for your entire family. That’s extremely low and unusual, even if splitting it up the way you’re suggesting.

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:37 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
So your tuition expenses are much lower than OP's. Right there is 30k more.

But she doesn't have a nanny - her tuition and my tuition plus childcare are the same thing.

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:38 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
But she doesn't have a nanny - her tuition and my tuition plus childcare are the same thing.

She pays 24k a year for household help/childcare.

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:

Very very cheap health insurance. If your numbers are accurate you’re paying $4,800 per year for your entire family. That’s extremely low and unusual, even if splitting it up the way you’re suggesting.

I just checked my paystub so yes I'm sure. I work for a relatively large and not-jewish/frum firm which tends to have cheaper insurance. I would suggest that people who both work in companies as opposed to for themselves check if its significantly cheaper to have an employee plus dependents plan on one spouses insurance and then the spouse individually on the other insurance since it cut our costs in half and I think people don't generally consider that option.

amother
  Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:44 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
She pays 24k a year for household help/childcare.

True, but its unclear whether that's cleaning help or a nanny or some combination -- regardless, the $2k a month is big but that's not what's killing her financially, its the $3700 health insurance plus $2k HELOC plus $2k support plus $500 cc bills that's much harder. If I were her, I'd definitely try to find some type of government or large corporation job for the health insurance, even if I made $50k instead of $80k.

amother
  Peachpuff

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:44 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:

There are companies that subsidize most of the health insurance cost. I work for a nonjewish corporate tech company and pay less than $400 monthly for health insurance.

They’re doing many layoffs so no reason to be jealous. I don’t know how much longer I’ll have my job.

amother
  Tangerine  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:49 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
There are companies that subsidize most of the health insurance cost. I work for a nonjewish corporate tech company and pay less than $400 monthly for health insurance.

They’re doing many layoffs so no reason to be jealous. I don’t know how much longer I’ll have my job.

Trust me I am not jealous. We have excellent health insurance - we only pay 35% of the cost! And 35% of the cost for a family comes out to about $1200/month. Employer subsidizes the other 65%.

This is for a plan in NJ, low deductible and low ish copays maybe that’s why? Is yours a high deductible plan?

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:50 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:

My husband and I both work for companies with free health insurance. A bit overkill, I know Confused . The thing is it's not like you always get a choice. This is how it happened for us, but many don't have that option.

Oy, I hope you're not laid off! That's horrible.

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:53 pm
amother Blush wrote:
And therefore? The point I made that his salary is excellent even though they're out of the tri state area still stands. And so does my question: Where in the world do they live??

I obviously don't expect an answer, just really curious.

Where did you read that she lives out of the tri state area? I'm just guessing, but it does seem probable to me that she lives in a HCOL area (eg not Detroit). There are also plenty of communities out of the tri state area where real estate is pretty expensive- eg Los Angeles.

amother
  Blush  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:28 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Where did you read that she lives out of the tri state area? I'm just guessing, but it does seem probable to me that she lives in a HCOL area (eg not Detroit). There are also plenty of communities out of the tri state area where real estate is pretty expensive- eg Los Angeles.

She herself said upthread that she does not live in town and lives somewhere very low key.

I personally wouldn't consider LA very low key.

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Blush wrote:
She herself said upthread that she does not live in town and lives somewhere very low key.

I personally wouldn't consider LA very low key.

Nope, she didn't say that. Read it again.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:43 pm
To save time for everyone searching, OP said:

I live in a low key neighborhood. Out of town ish. Very little material pressure. Our house cost much less than a house in town.

amother
  Blush

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:45 pm
ittsamother wrote:
To save time for everyone searching, OP said:

I live in a low key neighborhood. Out of town ish. Very little material pressure. Our house cost much less than a house in town.

Lol was just coming here to post this. The new arrow feature makes it so much easier to pull stuff up in a long thread like this!

@DarkRed, I'm not sure what about this is different than what I said.

I also can't believe her house cost that little and still has such a high mortgage! Unless it was just refinanced to the sky, which can make rates jump.

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:58 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Lol was just coming here to post this. The new arrow feature makes it so much easier to pull stuff up in a long thread like this!

@DarkRed, I'm not sure what about this is different than what I said.

I also can't believe her house cost that little and still has such a high mortgage! Unless it was just refinanced to the sky, which can make rates jump.

Out of townish does not necessarily mean that she lives out of town. I can think of a few neighborhoods in the tristate area that meet this description. I'm not trying to out OP, but the combination of high salary/high mortgage makes me guess that OP lives in a HCOL area, wherever that may be. That type of salary is generally not as common in an area where housing costs are low.

oohlala  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:59 pm
Maybe she means passaic, the most expensive place to live low key.

ittsamother

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:58 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Out of townish does not necessarily mean that she lives out of town. I can think of a few neighborhoods in the tristate area that meet this description. I'm not trying to out OP, but the combination of high salary/high mortgage makes me guess that OP lives in a HCOL area, wherever that may be. That type of salary is generally not as common in an area where housing costs are low.

Yes but then she straight up said "Our house cost much less than a house in town." Which would seem to indicate that her house is not in town...
Page 10 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 9 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics