Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
1 million dollars a year rent!
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 3:06 pm
I taught at a preschool in Manhattan that had a million dollar a year rent, ten years ago. And this was for a very small playground, 2 small offices and 10 classrooms - none of which were anything fancy. So $1M rent in a high demand area, for the size a school needs, can just be a drop in the bucket!!

shabbatiscoming  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 2:53 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
It's $1,000,000 per year.
So for 500 students it comes to $2,000/per year per student is $166.67/month per student.

Right,oops. Forgot to finish the equation Smile

shabbatiscoming  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m sure they did lots of research and this was a good option now.
I’m not questioning the schools decision, more like how in the world are schools supposed to swing this.

I’m wondering how they’ll be able to sustain it?
It’s about $200 from each girls tuition monthly just for the building.

This school does not ask for a lot of tuition….

Maybe they’ll go up now… (Oy vey).

How much is not a lot? Its $167 a month.

amother
Papaya  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 9:34 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Why the rudeness??

Probably because she's sick of these unsubstantiated, clickbait-style posts with no real sources, that are rampant on here:

"XYZ rov says you're not a jew if you vote for kamala"

"I heard XYZ nasty rumor about hatzala and/or HN"...

"The Belz community spends beyond their means, they can't support their school due to unnecessary expenditures. It's true because I said so! [insert negative comment about the belzer rebbe too, cuz why not]"

And so on and so forth... These are just a fraction of the many posts Ive seen like this - and just in the past few days.

These threads are (at best) hearsay, and probably unadulterated rechilus. Specifically targeting one group, institution, or organization.

Sorry, it's just getting old.

amother
Latte

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 9:42 pm
What is included In the rent ( which would be paid for a building they own anyway) insurance? Taxes? Utilities? Sanitation?
It could be a bargain for all we know. Also as someone said they may be sub leasing to a shul or whatever.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 9:47 pm
Where is this?

Why do OP's leave out critical information in their original posts??????????? Big pet peeve of mine. Obviously we can't validate your outrage if we don't know where this is and that would make a massive difference in your point. Is this yerushalayim or the upper west side??????????????

Magnolia72

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:01 pm
Wow!!

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:05 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Where is this?

Why do OP's leave out critical information in their original posts??????????? Big pet peeve of mine. Obviously we can't validate your outrage if we don't know where this is and that would make a massive difference in your point. Is this yerushalayim or the upper west side??????????????

There is no outrage. I’m just shocked at the expenses a school has as part of its operation.

Tuition is about $500 a child and if $200 goes just for rent how is this gonna work?

This is a Brooklyn school. Where real estate is not UWS prices but quite expensive!

tweety1

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:23 pm
amother Iris wrote:
With no details, it's just gossip. No-one wakes up one day and decides to splurge on a $1,000,000 building for no good reason.

A thread like this starts with speculation, and leads to gossip, slander and who knows what else.

If you're worried how it's sustainable, go and help them if you can. Otherwise, leave it.

Sorry lady. Nothing excuses rudeness. Don't post if the only way is to be rude. She has questions. She's allowed to ask. You don't have to answer. But to answer the way you did is wrong.

CPenzias  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:49 pm
That honestly doesn't sound so crazy. It's a lot of money for you and me but for a school with 500 kids? Let's say each kid is 10k a year in tuition that's 5 million ago 20% is going for building. It's not a million per month.

CPenzias  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
There is no outrage. I’m just shocked at the expenses a school has as part of its operation.

Tuition is about $500 a child and if $200 goes just for rent how is this gonna work?

This is a Brooklyn school. Where real estate is not UWS prices but quite expensive!

You only pay $500 per child a month? I'm jealous. My daughters tuition is higher than my mortgage

amother
  Papaya  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 12:33 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
Thank you! It took about 10 minutes to put it together, I appreciate the recognition.

Thank you molly!

Idk how I missed this post when I first came to this thread, but it brings a ton of perspective, thanks for doing the research.

amother
  Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 12:35 am
tweety1 wrote:
Sorry lady. Nothing excuses rudeness. Don't post if the only way is to be rude. She has questions. She's allowed to ask. You don't have to answer. But to answer the way you did is wrong.

I reread the post in question, and I must say... I've seen FAR ruder, thoughtless, and shocking posts on here.

Maybe I've become desensitized (sadly) but I didn't find it so terrible (certainly not worthy of two comments chastising her).

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 12:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
So thats 2k a month. How much is tuition?

$166 per student per month

1,000,000 divided by 12 months = $83,333

$83,333 divided by 500 students = $166

amother
Anemone  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 12:56 am
CPenzias wrote:
You only pay $500 per child a month? I'm jealous. My daughters tuition is higher than my mortgage

We pay about $300 a kid

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:28 am
I also have a daughter in this school. It's only temp. They purchased a lot. Iyh they'll be building a new school building. BTW, they rented out the old section, so most of the rent is covered...

Molly Weasley

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:36 am
amother Anemone wrote:
We pay about $300 a kid

Lucky you!

$300 a kid is probably a chasidishe school, and the building was probably donated.

amother
  Anemone

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 1:51 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
Lucky you!

$300 a kid is probably a chasidishe school, and the building was probably donated.

Correct
Not sure on donation part- probably partially donated/part fundraised. But it’s a HUGE school system

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:05 am
amother Fern wrote:
$166 per student per month

1,000,000 divided by 12 months = $83,333

$83,333 divided by 500 students = $166
If you looked at the rest of the thread you would have seen that someone already corrected me and I realized that I just didnt finish the equation. Smile

CPenzias

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 3:05 am
amother Anemone wrote:
We pay about $300 a kid

What kind of school /education are your kids getting?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics