Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Crock pot for Shabbos, day 3
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 7:25 pm
If I want to make cholent for Shabbos which is after 2 days of yt- I keep my crock pot plugged in but with nothing inside it for 2 days? What have you done? Do I need a Shabbos timer?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 7:26 pm
You could probably keep it empty. I've also filled it with water and kept it in. Timer works best, though, if you hold by it.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
You could probably keep it empty. I've also filled it with water and kept it in. Timer works best, though, if you hold by it.

We do.

ettilou

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 7:29 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:

I’d advise against doing that. I did that one time and even I went to pour the boiling hot water out it splashed in the sink and hit my chest and I ended up with a terrible burn. That wasn’t the worst part, I had to call Hatzolah and they had to look so my chest Surprised Can't Believe It Surprised Can't Believe It SO embarrassing lol

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 7:53 pm
I leave the crock pot plugged in with no insert. You can also set a timer if you have one.

teachkids

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:05 pm
We use a 7 day timer to turn it on Friday morning

amother
Cappuccino  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:12 pm
Timer.
Some crockpots cant be on for more than 20 hours it doesn’t let.

saralem

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:43 pm
Either no crock at all in the metal part or fill with water. I’ve done it many times.

Magnolia72

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:34 am
Or make it in a pot and put a blech on your stove for shabbos.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 10:38 am
Leave it on without the insert.

It's also great for reheating food on Yom Tov.

Gt

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 10:41 am
amother Leaf wrote:
Leave it on without the insert.

It's also great for reheating food on Yom Tov.

This!

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 10:43 am
teachkids wrote:
We use a 7 day timer to turn it on Friday morning

Where do u find this? My husband went to an electric store recently to ask for one and they didn't have it

Chayalle  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 11:19 am
I'm thinking of utilizing my crockpot over YT since it's gonna be plugged in. I'm thinking of doing an overnight roast for the first day meal, and BBQ chicken to put in on the second day to feed my niece and nephews (sis is walking in for Shabbos) and whoever else wants.... and then putting the chulent (which I prepare on the stove) in right before Shabbos.

If that crockpot is on, it's gonna have to earn it's keep....LOL.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 11:29 am
I do it in the oven which is anyway on all YT

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 11:33 am
Chayalle wrote:
I'm thinking of utilizing my crockpot over YT since it's gonna be plugged in. I'm thinking of doing an overnight roast for the first day meal, and BBQ chicken to put in on the second day to feed my niece and nephews (sis is walking in for Shabbos) and whoever else wants.... and then putting the chulent (which I prepare on the stove) in right before Shabbos.

That’s actually a very interesting idea! Do you have recipes for overnight roast?

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 12:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
That’s actually a very interesting idea! Do you have recipes for overnight roast?

Check out “pesach while you sleep” even if it’s not pesach lol. For overnight meat recipes

amother
  Cappuccino  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 12:28 pm
amother Maize wrote:
Where do u find this? My husband went to an electric store recently to ask for one and they didn't have it

Amazon.
I’ll link it.

amother
  Cappuccino  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 12:30 pm
amother Maize wrote:

BN-LINK 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M.....share

sara1232

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:05 pm
Chayalle wrote:

This is brilliant. Thank you for this idea.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 1:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
If I want to make cholent for Shabbos which is after 2 days of yt- I keep my crock pot plugged in but with nothing inside it for 2 days? What have you done? Do I need a Shabbos timer?

If you hold that you can remove timer pins on YT... For a 3 day Y"T that ends with Shabbos, I usually put my crockpot on a 24 hr timer. It's set to turn on each day for a few hours and then it turns off. I leave the insert out of the heating element.

On Friday, I pull out/remove the OFF pin. This way the crockpot doesn't turn off after those few hours. It stays on for the whole shabbos and keeps cooking the cholent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note