Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Belz Lakewood, is this true?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
I don't have any solutions, but I was curious to know if the parents of these children are concerned at all about the illegality of keeping these children home from school.

I understand the school isn't open, but aren't the parents required to enroll their children elsewhere?

This is considered educational neglect in New Jersey and can likely result in fines and possible jail time.

I don't think there is an exact start date that anyone needs to abide by. As long as they get the minimum number of days per year of schooling.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
I don't have any solutions, but I was curious to know if the parents of these children are concerned at all about the illegality of keeping these children home from school.

I understand the school isn't open, but aren't the parents required to enroll their children elsewhere?

This is considered educational neglect in New Jersey and can likely result in fines and possible jail time.

You probably shouldn’t post without researching first. NJ mandates 180 school days per year, but the dates don’t matter. If the school opens late they’ll likely cut out the unnecessary teacher in-service days to make up those few days.

Sheesh, why are we so quick to put people in jail? Even the public school parents whose kids aren’t in school go through a looooong process with many chances given before they’re fined for truancy.

This post is laughable.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Orchid wrote:

And where should they go?

GLUE  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:28 pm
NJ has one of the loosest requirements for homeschooling, if worst comes to worst all the girls will be "home schooled"

I heard that there is a high school in Lakewood that also did not start because their building is not ready.

barbara1

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:59 pm
It is unfortunate that the Bezalel School in Lakewood was forced to delay opening for the new school year due to financial difficulties. Sadly, this reflects the reality for many local frum families who are struggling to keep up with tuition payments. Given the current state of the economy and rising inflation, it's no surprise that schools are facing such hardships. The truth is, the financial burden on the average frum family is overwhelming, as they must earn so much just to make ends meet.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 7:20 pm
barbara1 wrote:
It is unfortunate that the Bezalel School in Lakewood was forced to delay opening for the new school year due to financial difficulties. Sadly, this reflects the reality for many local frum families who are struggling to keep up with tuition payments. Given the current state of the economy and rising inflation, it's no surprise that schools are facing such hardships. The truth is, the financial burden on the average frum family is overwhelming, as they must earn so much just to make ends meet.

I've been saying this for a long time. We have set up an unsustainable system. The result of such a system is that it gradually gets worse every year. This was almost a guarantee to happen down the road. It's just the recent inflation sped things up.

You can only push an unsustainable system forward for a limited period of time, eventually it always crashes. But there is no one big enough to stand up now and reset things. I guess we have to wait till it gets even worse before change happens.

amother
  Springgreen  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:53 pm
I believe that many people who make the move across the bridge to the goldina Medina are charmed by the prices (which aren't cheap anymore) grass and space. People don't crunch the numbers before hand and notice how many expenses will arise that didn't before. Anyone who was fully covering tuition with vouchers in years gone past is in for shock when along with their morgage they now have high tuition bills.yes chasidush tuition is usually cheaper than litvish (more so by boys than girls though).. but it is still a massive expense that people are unable to pulloff...leading brand new state of the art buildings floundering for funds when parents don't come through with their tuition because the morgage gets paid first

GLUE  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 2:16 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
I believe that many people who make the move across the bridge to the goldina Medina are charmed by the prices (which aren't cheap anymore) grass and space. People don't crunch the numbers before hand and notice how many expenses will arise that didn't before. Anyone who was fully covering tuition with vouchers in years gone past is in for shock when along with their morgage they now have high tuition bills.yes chasidush tuition is usually cheaper than litvish (more so by boys than girls though).. but it is still a massive expense that people are unable to pulloff...leading brand new state of the art buildings floundering for funds when parents don't come through with their tuition because the morgage gets paid first

When Belz started in Lakewood, there was someone who was helping people get a down payment to pay for their house.
I remember when the first major wave of people came from Brooklyn not to long ago, many people where asking on how they can get on to vouchers and where shocked that there was nothing.
Many people had gone to fairs on how much cheaper housing was but the real esate agents running the fairs "forgot" to mention on how other things where more expensive in Lakewood like tuition.
Years ago there was a write up in some Frum rag about this on how many people after moving to Lakewood were in a worse financial place then Brooklyn.

amother
Banana  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:24 am
amother Springgreen wrote:

Huh?

Tuition is a very high expense inside and outside the "goldina Medina". In fact, some schools are significantly cheaper in Lakewood than across the bridge.

amother
  Banana  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I feel terrible that this thread caused lashon hora, it was not my intention at all.

Are you new to this site?

Unfortunately it is common on here for threads to devolve into LH (and rechilus, and baseless accusations, and perpetuating untruths about a certain sect of yiddishkeit and/or an organization...) .

Have you seen any of the recent threads discussing hatzalah/HN?

amother
Seagreen  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 4:54 am
I was actually going to donate to belz. Eventhough, my family is finacially struggling and I dont have money right now for anything extra. Then someone told me that they have beautiful school/cheider buildings and shuls. Idk they should refinance if they have a mortgage. They, spent so much on theyre buildings. Possibly they even own some of the buildings. At the same time, so many schls are still in trailers. Who asked them to build so much at once. Its a stunt to make parents pay up theyre tuition and get ppl to donate.
Regarding, Bnos Hadassa, they grew too fast for themselves. There was a need in lkwd for girls to get accepted into schls. They made parallel classes. And, now they are "paying the price" they had to move this yr into something bigger and its taking longer than expected to be ready.

amother
Nectarine

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 5:49 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Yes. My daughter is home until they start.

Tuition here is insane. I pay 700-800 a kid.

Plus expensive rent (high for Lakewood standards)

So many are struggling. I just got a call from a father who can’t afford his daughters tuition and is asking for help

Most of us in the U.S. outside of Lakewood are supposed to be paying double that.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 6:59 am
amother Nectarine wrote:
Most of us in the U.S. outside of Lakewood are supposed to be paying double that.

My boys go to the yeshivish yeshiva in my community and my girls to the community BY.
I pay for two boys 31400 not including any extras like building fund, dinner, annual registration fee etc
The bill for my 3 girls was over 41000 but I work in the school and got a tuition break.

amother
Midnight  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 7:44 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
I was actually going to donate to belz. Eventhough, my family is finacially struggling and I dont have money right now for anything extra. Then someone told me that they have beautiful school/cheider buildings and shuls. Idk they should refinance if they have a mortgage. They, spent so much on theyre buildings. Possibly they even own some of the buildings. At the same time, so many schls are still in trailers. Who asked them to build so much at once. Its a stunt to make parents pay up theyre tuition and get ppl to donate.
Regarding, Bnos Hadassa, they grew too fast for themselves. There was a need in lkwd for girls to get accepted into schls. They made parallel classes. And, now they are "paying the price" they had to move this yr into something bigger and its taking longer than expected to be ready.

did they make parallel classes for the older grades too or just incoming?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 8:25 am
amother Seagreen wrote:

If you were going to give, you should give. You shouldn't be making their cheshbonos.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 8:52 am
amother Seagreen wrote:

Then someone told me that they have beautiful school/cheider buildings and shuls. Idk they should refinance if they have a mortgage. They, spent so much on theyre buildings. Possibly they even own some of the buildings.

Have you seen their finances to make a cheshbon on their behalf? Big donors a lot of times want something specific with their donations. Schools will make beautiful lunchrooms so it can double as a simcha hall to bring in extra income. You want something durable so you don't need to raise money for repairs. Do you know if their credit is in a place where they can refinance?

A lot of assumptions based off their quality of siding

amother
Honeysuckle  

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 8:59 am
GLUE wrote:
NJ has one of the loosest requirements for homeschooling, if worst comes to worst all the girls will be "home schooled"

I heard that there is a high school in Lakewood that also did not start because their building is not ready.

BH today!!!!
The other high schools started tues or wendsday so it’s not so crazy.
And they had a 1/2 day on wend.

But first of all these are high school girls easier to leave home for working parents than elementary school girls.

And the building was ready just needed certificates and approvals so we knew it would happen soon. It’s not like here we’re it is an unknown timeline.

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 9:02 am
I remember when belz bought the building on chestnut from bnos Orchos Chaim for 3 million dollars and rabbi mandelbaum made a fortune and everyone said the chassidim have money for buildings and take care of their chassidim. So now they can’t give 3 million to start school and parents won’t have to worry about tuition??

amother
  Lily

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 9:03 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
BH today!!!!
The other high schools started tues or wendsday so it’s not so crazy.
And they had a 1/2 day on wend.

But first of all these are high school girls easier to leave home for working parents than elementary school girls.

And the building was ready just needed certificates and approvals so we knew it would happen soon. It’s not like here we’re it is an unknown timeline.

What school is that?

amother
  Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Sep 13 2024, 9:08 am
amother Lily wrote:
What school is that?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics