Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help Tuition Assistance to be a reality in all 50 states
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:45 am
keym wrote:
Won't it just cause taxes to be raised to cover all the public AND private school needs?

No.
Public schools are funded by state dollars. This is a federal initiative.
The only federal funding schools get, and this is public and private, is Title funding for very specific uses.

Molly Weasley

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:47 am
Aurora wrote:
No. It's not.

Still opens the gateway to government interference in our schools, and we all benefit from supporting our neighbors' educational needs. You think that only Jews build bridges, work as doctors, etc? Our property values go up partly if there are good public schools in our district.

Every child deserves a good education, whether or not that child is a Jew. Public education is a public services. If you want a different education, pay for it.

A huge part of why it has been so easy to live as a Jew in the USA is because there is a separation between public institutions and religious ones. I think if we break that wall, we're in trouble. But our kids will be the ones paying the bill.

Most of the schools that will benefit are probably Catholic ones, not Jewish. We're a tiny minority.

Look at the cost of tuition for each kid. Is the amount a public school spends really so insane?

In New York city, the typical Yeshiva tuition is about $8,000. Public school is $38,000.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/newy.....ding/

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:49 am
Stated tuition is likely lower than the per pupil cost and they fundraise the rest.
But definitely way less than public school.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:49 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
In New York city, the typical Yeshiva tuition is about $8,000. Public school is $38,000.

Tuition typically does not cover the full cost of educating each child. There is a lot of government funding in NY, plus other fundraising.

Aurora  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:51 am
Molly Weasley wrote:

Ok. But how does what's being offered for that tuition compare? Things like other activities that supplement education. Do the New York schools also offer those?

and if so, we should be thankful for our bargain.

amother
  NeonPink  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:56 am
keym wrote:
Won't it just cause taxes to be raised to cover all the public AND private school needs?

We are paying so much into the system anyway, that we don't benefit much from. I say it's worth raising it a small percentage across the board, so that the money is distributed evenly and we benefit like the rest of americans do.

Anyone who switches from public to private will save the government money, because a voucher system would still probably pay way less per kid than the cost of sending to public school. So it may not even cost more in the long run.

Aurora  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 5:59 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
We are paying so much into the system anyway, that we don't benefit much from. I say it's worth raising it a small percentage across the board, so that the money is distributed evenly and we benefit like the rest of americans do.

Anyone who switches from public to private will save the government money, because a voucher system would still probably pay way less per kid than the cost of sending to public school. So it may not even cost more in the long run.

We already benefit like the rest of the Americans do. We are just saying we don't want what everyone else is getting, and we want something different.

Why should the secular government pay for a religious choice? Like I said before, I think this goes bad places.

and I don't think we'll save the government money. Once schools see they can get more money, they're going to ask for more money.

And in the end, we'll all be stuck paying the bill.

amother
  NeonPink  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:09 am
Aurora wrote:
We already benefit like the rest of the Americans do. We are just saying we don't want what everyone else is getting, and we want something different.

Why should the secular government pay for a religious choice? Like I said before, I think this goes bad places.

and I don't think we'll save the government money. Once schools see they can get more money, they're going to ask for more money.

And in the end, we'll all be stuck paying the bill.

You say that we are making a religious choice, so it makes sense.

Imagine food was covered by the government. So everyone's tax dollars went to support only the not kosher food brands... Would that be a fair system?

And yes you can say we benefit because communities are better off if people has enough to eat, but that still doesn't make the system fair.

amother
Seashell  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:12 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
It's the first time it's even getting to the House. So an impressive amount of progress, actually.

Whether it will help the parents or not remains to be seen. I imagine that will be location-dependent. Maybe the Florida or Ohio parents can chime in.

This has nothing to do with Ohio and Florida.
I don't know much about Ohio but Florida gives parents a certain amount of money and they could use it towards a private school or public school.

This has to do with giving a tax rebate to people who donate to a scholarship fund and then that scholarship fund gets doled out probably to mostly lower class ppl (who probably already get breaks) & has many limits & rules.
Will it be like CHS where the price for places that accept CHS have gone up through the roof for those who don't have CHS?

Aurora  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:13 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
You say that we are making a religious choice, so it makes sense. Imagine food was covered by the government. So everyone's tax dollars went to support only the not kosher food brands...

And yes you can say we benefit because communities are better off if everyone has enough to eat, but that's not the same.

It's called "food stamps." Kosher food is still a religious choice. We are choosing to be Jews. This is a choice we have made to be religious in a way that comes with costs. And I agree that yeshiva tuition is a very hard and expensive cost - but it is ours and comes from our having chosen this life.

And no, it's not the same. Your case for subsidizing kosher food stamps is a much stronger one davka because of the differences.

amother
  Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:14 am
amother Ecru wrote:
That’s shortsighted.

If this bill comes through and even if you don’t qualify for funding from them, it will be easier for you to get a scholarship from your school if the lower income families are using these grants. It benefits everyone.

I think you're living in la la land.
Especially in Lakewood where most schools tell you that your price for tuition doesn't actually cover the cost.
People will get scholarships and they'll say that really you should have been paying that amount until now so we won't charge you more but we'll pocket the difference.
Those who can't get a scholarship will be forced to pay extra.

amother
  NeonPink  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:17 am
Aurora wrote:
It's called "food stamps." Kosher food is still a religious choice. We are choosing to be Jews. This is a choice we have made to be religious in a way that comes with costs. And I agree that yeshiva tuition is a very hard and expensive cost - but it is ours and comes from our having chosen this life.

And no, it's not the same. Your case for subsidizing kosher food stamps is a much stronger one davka because of the differences.

I'm honestly not understanding. Food stamps includes kosher food. How does that compare to the public school system??

Aurora  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:19 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
I'm honestly not understanding. Food stamps includes kosher food. How does that compare to the public school system??

You started the comparison by bringing in government subsidized food, which is called "food stamps."

If you can't explain the comparison, then I'm lost too.

amother
Lawngreen  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:21 am
amother Seashell wrote:
I think you're living in la la land.
Especially in Lakewood where most schools tell you that your price for tuition doesn't actually cover the cost.
People will get scholarships and they'll say that really you should have been paying that amount until now so we won't charge you more but we'll pocket the difference.
Those who can't get a scholarship will be forced to pay extra.

This 1000 percent.

amother
  NeonPink  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:23 am
Aurora wrote:
You started the comparison by bringing in government subsidized food, which is called "food stamps."

If you can't explain the comparison, then I'm lost too.

It's not the same at all, because food stamps subsidizes kosher food. Would you be okay with them stopping?

amother
Jade  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:37 am
I'm not signing this petition or whatever it is. I don't believe for a second that that this is going to help parents. It's only going to help the schools. That's what always happens when more government finding becomes available. The schools is not gonna be easier on scholarships because of this. I mean maybe schools like the ones Hashem Yaazor runs which seems transparent and fair, but not the in town tristate right wing schools which are like the mafia

Aurora

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:44 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
I said, imagine the government subsidized food, but only non-kosher food.

Food stamps subsidizes kosher food. Would you be okay with them stopping?

This is a good question. I am not sure. And part of the reason I don't want to answer is because I'm not on food stamps. That's not a choice I'm facing - but I am facing yeshiva tuition and saying no.

But you said earlier that tuition was different from food - and I agreed. It's why I said you made a stronger case for the kosher food stamps.

And, again, we are choosing to be Jews and choosing a lifestyle that is more expensive. Why are we asking a public and secular government to pay for our choices in a way that takes money from others in the system? Especially in something that is very likely to come back to haunt us?

mig100

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:46 am
amother Emerald wrote:
The only bill I am supporting is to get a tax credit on money I pay for my tuition.
How will they divide the money?

Yep

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:48 am
amother Jade wrote:
I'm not signing this petition or whatever it is. I don't believe for a second that that this is going to help parents. It's only going to help the schools. That's what always happens when more government finding becomes available. The schools is not gonna be easier on scholarships because of this. I mean maybe schools like the ones Hashem Yaazor runs which seems transparent and fair, but not the in town tristate right wing schools which are like the mafia

I don't know how this will be structured but an SGO is an outside organization, not the school, that handles the money and distribution. I'm not sure it will raise tuition amounts at all since it's not going to be given to every parent and the school doesn't really have free reign how to distribute it.

Tuition rates will increase no matter what due to cost of living but not due to this program.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 6:50 am
How would this work for states that have a Blaine Amendment?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics