Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore Tuition Rebate Initiative!! Hug from Hashem!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:39 am
I got an email this morning regarding my rebate. I assumed we would not qualify, so I ignored all the emails about it, because we are on MEGA tuition assistance and I just figured our rebate would go to "fill the hole", so to speak. Like my rebate was already given as a tuition break.

But no! Chasdei Hashem! I get a few hundred dollars in a check! Not even as a tuition credit.

This is such a massive hug from HaKodesh Baruch Hu!

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 12:07 pm
wow! Im so happy for you! BH

amother
Catmint  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 1:49 pm
Quote:
I got an email this morning regarding my rebate. I assumed we would not qualify, so I ignored all the emails about it, because we are on MEGA tuition assistance and I just figured our rebate would go to "fill the hole", so to speak. Like my rebate was already given as a tuition break.

If you paid any tuition, are up to date on your obligations, attend one of the participating schools, and live in Baltimore you qualify. It has nothing to do with how much of a tuition break you get.

Read the FAQs about how it works. This year is 3.5%, but they are hoping to get donations and up it next year.

amother
Mulberry  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:06 pm
I have a question-they say it’s initially for the 10 biggest schools, but Bnos is on for this year and BT isn’t. Isn’t BT bigger than Bnos?

amother
Dandelion  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:08 pm
Good to know to be on the lookout for an email!

amother
Begonia  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:17 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
I have a question-they say it’s initially for the 10 biggest schools, but Bnos is on for this year and BT isn’t. Isn’t BT bigger than Bnos?

I was assuming that BT had opted out of the program for some reason, is that possible?

amother
  Mulberry  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:20 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I was assuming that BT had opted out of the program for some reason, is that possible?

Maybe. I was just wondering, that’s all. No idea if any schools opted out.

amother
  Catmint  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:31 pm
Quote:

Bnos is smaller than BT as is Toras Simcha and Kesser Torah.

Maybe they meant the mainstream schools, maybe the schools had to opt in, maybe BT tuition is so much higher (which I understand it is) that 3.5% coverage may be out of the budget donated? To be honest I don't know the reasoning. But they did say as they raise more money, more schools may be added.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:40 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Quote:

If you paid any tuition, are up to date on your obligations, attend one of the participating schools, and live in Baltimore you qualify. It has nothing to do with how much of a tuition break you get.

Read the FAQs about how it works. This year is 3.5%, but they are hoping to get donations and up it next year.

Right, and BH we met THAT criteria! I ignored the emails. All of them. Because I assumed we just did not meet it considering we get financial assistance. The money that is coming is not a lot, but it's SO amazing to me to be getting it. I cant believe it honestly. They would have been well within their rights to tell anyone who gets assistance that they rebate will be for them, in the form of tuition credit and not an actual check, to go towards the assistance we get.

This is huge for Rosh Hashana!

amother
  Catmint  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 3:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right, and BH we met THAT criteria! I ignored the emails. All of them. Because I assumed we just did not meet it considering we get financial assistance. The money that is coming is not a lot, but it's SO amazing to me to be getting it. I cant believe it honestly. They would have been well within their rights to tell anyone who gets assistance that they rebate will be for them, in the form of tuition credit and not an actual check, to go towards the assistance we get.

This is huge for Rosh Hashana!

The point is to help the families paying tuition. The schools don't see a penny of it. This is not a school initiative--it is initiated by wealthy people in town.

Even if you choose to donate it back, it goes back to the initiative to help more families. It does not go back to the schools.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 4:38 pm
What is this? I have one tuition-elementary boy in TA.
Pay full.

amother
Firethorn  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 4:46 pm
How does this work? Won’t the schools simply negotiate a tuition that is 3.5% less discounted than they would have because the family can now swing it?

amother
Mintgreen  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
How does this work? Won’t the schools simply negotiate a tuition that is 3.5% less discounted than they would have because the family can now swing it?

I don't think the community leaders would let that happen. The whole point is to help families, not give more money to the schools.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 4:54 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:

No. BH the Baltimore schools don't play games like this.

The point of the initiative is to encourage parents to complete paying that year's tuition by the end of the year and not to hold over a balance.

If you think about it, aside from being kind and generous, it's a much better way to get the tuition paid as opposed to kicking kids out of school or using the diploma as leverage for paying. Reward, don't threaten.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
The point is to help the families paying tuition. The schools don't see a penny of it. This is not a school initiative--it is initiated by wealthy people in town.

Even if you choose to donate it back, it goes back to the initiative to help more families. It does not go back to the schools.

That's true. It's through the Associated as the organizer and donors.

amother
  Firethorn

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 5:54 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I don't think the community leaders would let that happen. The whole point is to help families, not give more money to the schools.

Still don’t get this. Don’t tuition committees settle on a number based on ability to pay? If a family was only able to afford 50k tuition for their 5 kids last year based on income and assets, they can now afford 52k. The school will simply ignore the additional 3.5% in assets that the family now has when negotiating the new years tuition?

amother
Mint  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 6:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
No. BH the Baltimore schools don't play games like this.

The point of the initiative is to encourage parents to complete paying that year's tuition by the end of the year and not to hold over a balance.

If you think about it, aside from being kind and generous, it's a much better way to get the tuition paid as opposed to kicking kids out of school or using the diploma as leverage for paying. Reward, don't threaten.

How does a family in these Baltimore schools not pay? Don't you have to sign up with facts or give your bank info? Wondering how it's possible to end up with an unpaid balance

amother
  Dandelion  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 6:13 pm
amother Mint wrote:
How does a family in these Baltimore schools not pay? Don't you have to sign up with facts or give your bank info? Wondering how it's possible to end up with an unpaid balance

Was wondering that too

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:01 pm
Facts is automatic withdrawal from a bank account.
If it's overdrawn or they close the account, the tuition bill isn't being paid.

amother
Wandflower  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:42 pm
The schools have agreed not to raise tuition more than their historical norms based on this initiative.

Bnos does even better - the past couple of years you can opt for a set increase and don't even have to fill out a scholarship request form so the annual increases are pretty much set already (example - kid staying within same division is $300 annual increase; kid going up a division $600 annual increase).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics