Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Avoiding phone calls
Previous  1  2

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 5:40 am
lol OP that’s me completely everyone who knows me knows I don’t talk on the phone they even tease me about it or make sarcastic comments. I really don’t care though.
I’ll almost respond with a text saying I can’t talk now can you text me please ( exception for my children’s teachers. )

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 6:16 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
I have a relative who for some reason thinks it makes her superior (frummer) to call, instead of texting. It drives me nuts. Like I’ll send a group text to my family asking if everyone wants to chip in for a gift. She’ll call in response. And always at a crazy time like 10:30 at night. I just ignore. It’s 2024. You’re not a better person because you don’t text. You’re just annoying. Ugh. I feel you OP.

If she doesn't text, how did she get the message in the first place?

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 8:38 am
You don't need to answer right away but you should call or text back when you can (unless they are specifically toxic people who you shouldn't be speaking to). One of my pet peeves is people who never answer their phone calls or texts and I can't get through to them for something important eg to arrange a carpool or discuss a work schedule change.

Shani...

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 5:23 pm
It's important to remember that your phone is a tool to use at your convenience. That involves calling and texting. You are not obligated to answer calls or messages at any given time. That's my perspective.

I don't like taking calls on the street (though I do find it highly entertaining when others do it Laugh) and therefore often leave my phone at home, or put in on silent when I do not want to answer.

I do answer text and return calls if I see someone is trying to reach me consistently, simply because I would want others to do the same for me.

BasKol

Post Yesterday at 9:52 am
I pick up when I want and return phone calls if and when I want. I am not sure why callers think I am free to talk at the same time they are. Text me "are you free now?"

watergirl

Post Yesterday at 9:57 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
If she doesn't text, how did she get the message in the first place?

I'm not that OP, but people like this will tell you they like the ability to keep in touch and be in the loop that being available to receive a text grants them, but they prefer the personal connection you can only get through a phone call.

AlwaysCleaning

Post Yesterday at 11:08 am
If your perfectly capable of sending a quick text, even a "sorry can't talk now, please text!" is nicer than totally ignoring them.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Yesterday at 11:12 am
amother Snow wrote:
Leave yourself 20 voicemails until your mailbox fills up. Everyone I know does this.

What is the point of having a voicemail if you never listen to messages and never erase? So that people will have to climb over another obstacle to try to reach you?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Yesterday at 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
I guess it's more awkward when I avoid people and they leave me several voicemails... it gets way more awkward then

It's kind of rude when people are trying to reach you and you try to hide. Face them and finish it off once and for all.

Odelyah

Post Yesterday at 11:18 am
watergirl wrote:
I'm not that OP, but people like this will tell you they like the ability to keep in touch and be in the loop that being available to receive a text grants them, but they prefer the personal connection you can only get through a phone call.

Yes, this. And/or they can easily read a text but typing a response on a flip phone that has no keyboard is extremely time-consuming and annoying. There used to lots of reasonably priced non-smartphones with slider qwerty keyboards (we bought them used on ebay) but they no longer work after the 3G shutdown.. now there are like 2 available with touchscreen keyboards and they are very expensive Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette