Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore- new girls school
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 3:49 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
I don't have a problem with the fact that BY has a diverse crowd.

My daughters BH are friends with the yeshivish crowd and there isn't mixing out of school. While TI is diverse too, the line is much smaller. In BY, there are mothers who don't wear socks or have some hair showing but I've never seen that crowd in TI. The diversity gamut does not run nearly as broad.

When I said some consider BY to be to the left, I didn't mean in terms of exposure to outside influences. I meant their policies of which many are more in line with the MO schools in the tri state area. They don't lean Tzioni but when people want a frummer school they mean one that implements right wing/yeshivish policies and hashkafos, which by the way will naturally attract a more yeshivish parent body- no need to exclude anyone. I think some people are just growing tired of hearing that a more right wing school can't open because it will detract from the achdus in town when we all know the achdus kvetch goes out the window when a school to the left wants to open. I'm hoping this new girls school really will implement more yeshivish hashkafos because I know people who would move here that could be a huge asset to the city.

Just want to add that even yeshivish schools in the tristate mostly don't ban internet altogether for the parents. Either they ban smartphones or there needs to be an approved filter. I think most schools understand that internet access in some capacity is becoming a necessity.

First, my kids went to playgroup/shared babysitters with mothers that didn't wear socks, wore skirts barely over the knee with leggings, and had a nice few inches showing in front of their shaitel. These mothers insisted they would only send to TI and do. So if you never saw it at TI, then you never saw it, but it 100% exists. Maybe in a lower number but it's there. I keep saying there is no exclusively yeshivish boys school in Baltimore, because there really isn't! Not complaining just a statement

I don't know what rules you think are more left in BY. I was there over 25 years ago and they kept piling on the rules to the right when I was there. When I was there there were no make up, nail polish, sock rules, no uniforms in the elementary. Then they added you had to wear socks and only very neutral colors in nail polish. After I graduated added knee highs in the older grades and uniforms in the elementary (due to lack of tznius in some of the younger kids). And from what I see it keeps going more right every few years.

When the MO open a school they would not ban yeshivish from attending. That is why the rabbanim don't care. They are not making themselves exclusive. In fact it will be helpful for the yeshivish as the more MO will switch out (as happened when Rambam opened up years ago). But if a yeshivish place opened, it would be exclusive and only let type X attend. The city desperately needs a new school. BH the community is popping at the seams in the current schools. And yes each school has it's own niche and flavor. But to make a holier than thou school....that's a different story.

Look at Lakewood that has some very yeshivish schools, some less, etc. It became so separated, with people looking down at ones that go to the less yeshivish schools. Girls who don't have a place to go at all. That is what the rabbanim are trying to prevent. When there is achdus in a community it is us against the non jews. There is less community politics. The minute you split by type there will be in community politics creating way more problems. And then it becomes us (exclusive) against us (non-exclusive).

Baltimore has been on the map for close to 100 years as a unique community. It's uniqueness is that the rabbanim and as a result the kehilos are b'achdus (even if they don't agree on everything). I've lived elsewhere and seen elsewhere and it's a rare beautiful thing.

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 3:57 pm
Quote:
Posts like this get me so mad about Baltimore. Everyone's all into the beauty of it not being separated, achdus blah blah but it's one sided. Beth Tefiloh and OCA can have their own schools, more modern than BY and Bnos, Chabad can have their own school, Chasidish can have their own school, but if chas v'shalom the more yeshivish, right wing want a frummer school than BY (and gasp there are actually real people living here who strongly feel BY is to the LEFT) we are called out for wanting a different mihalech. WE have to be open minded and accepting and expose our children to things we'd rather not, but but that doesn't apply to the above mentioned schools. Sorry, that's called misguided achdus at best.

BT will take frum, OCA will take yeshivish if yeshivish wants to send, Chabad will take non-chabad, and Kehal Chasidim will take non chasidish (there are litvish too).

I have no qualm of yeshivish/non-yeshivish schools. I have issues with the results to a community with such. I have a very very yeshivish cousin who is sweet as can be. But when we talk to her we feel she is looking down on as who are yeshivish or jpf/leaning yeshivish. She doesn't have to say anything, it's the way she looks at the rest of the family. Once you have a very strong divide in a community, it causes rift in a community. Look at any community that has a split in yeshivish vs non-yeshivish schools. How do the members of the community interact and react with each other? Would they let their kids play with a neighbor who may go to the lesser yeshivish (not even not yeshivish or even not yeshivish) school?

amother
  Wheat  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 4:46 pm
@amother cyclamen, I find it ironic that you’re on the internet, on imamothers, and saying how you’re too yeshivish for Baltimore.

amother
  Cyclamen

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 7:37 am
Quote:
@amother cyclamen, I find it ironic that you’re on the internet, on imamothers, and saying how you’re too yeshivish for Baltimore.

Never said I was. Never thought I was. Never indicated I was. If I had to label myself I'd say I was JPF with some leanings toward yeshivish ideas/ideology.

Just commented there are plenty of yeshivish in the the local dayschools and none are exclusively yeshivish. I grew up with the Baltimore mix. Raising my kids with the Baltimore mix. And loving the achdus of the Baltimore mix.

I'm actually the one not loving the idea of an exclusively yeshivish school.

If you thought I was saying I was too yeshivish, then maybe it came across when I was playing devils advocate and I apologize.

amother
  Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 9:03 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Quote:

Never said I was. Never thought I was. Never indicated I was. If I had to label myself I'd say I was JPF with some leanings toward yeshivish ideas/ideology.

Just commented there are plenty of yeshivish in the the local dayschools and none are exclusively yeshivish. I grew up with the Baltimore mix. Raising my kids with the Baltimore mix. And loving the achdus of the Baltimore mix.

I'm actually the one not loving the idea of an exclusively yeshivish school.

If you thought I was saying I was too yeshivish, then maybe it came across when I was playing devils advocate and I apologize.

Sorry! Maybe I quoted the wrong person. It’s hard to keep track.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics