Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I don't know if I should go ahead with it
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:06 pm
amother Maple wrote:
Where have you been looking?

Can you contact one of the places that adds a larger tabletop to your existing table for a quote to compare?

How much is the new table you've been looking at?

Ive never heard of such a place? Do you know the names?

A new table is between 3-10k

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:09 pm
Where do you live? I see large 2nd hand tables going for cheap all the time. Actually I just sold one myself. Worth 8000+, w ended up selling for 1200

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:17 pm
I don’t think it’s a Jewish value to deprive ourselves for no legitimate reason. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, why not buy it? Bonus points since it will iyH enhance your shabbos.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:29 pm
I added a wood board.
I’m not AT ALL handy and was able to do it myself. Lowe’s only had 8 ft x 4ft boards and I wanted a 10 foot table. I had them cut two boards into 5 foot each. I attached them by screwing 2x4s underneath along the length on both side edges.

I was so glad to save the $. Looks great and serving the purpose a year later.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:43 pm
I grew up with a 16-ft table. That was really two folding tables with a 8x4 piece of plywood on top of each one and then we put it together. So it was one long table. When I got married we simply took a piece of wood and put it on top of a folding table and used it. Eventually, I went to a furniture store that has an outlet and was able to find a dining room table there that was imperfect and they sold it to me for $500.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:16 pm
DVOM wrote:
My neighbors did this.

We bought a gorgeous, enormous, excellent condition dining room table and 10 matching chairs that seats 12 (14 in a pinch) for about 600$ off Craigslist.

Have you tried Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, Restore stores in your area?

We never buy new furniture. Within 6 months, I'm always able to find what I'm looking for used.

I would consider a new dining room table a needless expense. I have to admit though that I don't need the latest styles or furniture to be in perfect condition. If you don't mind a few nicks and scratches, used is the way to go.

This. If your grandma gave it to you, it would have a few nicks and scratches and you wouldn't mind because it was from her. Nicks and scratches polish out, anyway. Just pretend it's an heirloom.

GOODMOM

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:42 pm
If you live in tri-state area, check out the hemishe furniture stores. They usually sell the samples for cheaper. My personal opinion is ; buy a new dining room table lekuved Shabbos Kodesh and Hashem will repay you double!

Raizle

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 1:15 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I added a wood board.
I’m not AT ALL handy and was able to do it myself. Lowe’s only had 8 ft x 4ft boards and I wanted a 10 foot table. I had them cut two boards into 5 foot each. I attached them by screwing 2x4s underneath along the length on both side edges.

I was so glad to save the $. Looks great and serving the purpose a year later.
I'd love to see a picture if your wouldn't mind sharing. If you do mind then no worries

imaima  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:03 am
amother OP wrote:
We would not go into debt, we would take it from savings. I prefer savings to be for simchos and home repairs etc.
It is 💯 a practically driven desire. We don't fit at our dining room table without adding a folding table. Our dining room table fits 6 people and our family is already 8. We need a folding tables every shabbos, depending on the guests different sizes. We don't have where to store the folding tables either so they are under kids beds upstairs. Pretty annoying to shlep up and down.
We can for sure manage like this but it getting to be a bit much.
I searched second hand tables for months and I got no where.
Our original table is not worth much at all.
My friends are telling me spend the money and get a decent peice that fits your needs and lifestyle and move on, but my friends don't live as simply as I do and their DHs don't have the same approach to spending as mine does.

This is a no brainer. Absolutely get the table. You spend once and you enjoy it for many years. It is a basic need

imaima  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:06 am
amother OP wrote:
I have searched for almost a year for a table on all the second hand sites.
I am not buying new chairs.
My friends are encouraging me because I never buy things for myself just because it would make me happy. They are always pushing me to spend on myself.
Our current table is in very good condition, it's just too small.
I didn't look for fancy or the most expensive, but it does need to fit our practical needs, like the size of our room and other considerations.
Again my friends are telling me do it once, do it right, and just enjoy.
My DH is always, are you sure, is there another way, is there a cheaper solution.
Over the years I've become very insecure around spending money. I always say I wish there was a rule to follow ( if it meets these conditions it makes sense to spend the money or if it doesn't meet these conditions better not to spend the money).

This money is not earmarked, it's in a savings account that is used for larger expenses, camp, repairs, a new shaitel when that applies etc. When we use it, we replenish it as soon as we can.

Well the new dining room table qualifies. Think about if your kids are resentful of your shabbos set up. What do their friends have at home? An adequate dining room table is not a luxury

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:09 am
amother OP wrote:
So should I keep waiting and looking for second hand or should I go ahead and buy the one from the store?

Buy from the store now

camp123

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:19 am
I'm very frugel by nature. But, I would splurge for a good large dining room table. I've learned that Hashem gives us money to spend wisely. A table where you whole family can sit comfortably together for shabbos and yom tov is important and a worthwhile expenditure. Hashem can replace the savings. We bought a nice big table and I justified it by saying it was for shabbos and allowed me to comfortably have guests. I love the table it was worth every cent.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics