Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Another thread on antisemitism
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:13 pm
Fox wrote:
So what can and/or should we do about antisemitism, especially in times when it seems to be growing exponentially out of every possible nook and cranny?

Some poskim advise simply davening for an end to galus; others advise a more proactive approach. Obvously, everyone must ask her own rav for guidance, since it depends a great deal on the person and the circumstances.

But in general, how should we respond?

We need to make practical hishtadlus. (And this is all I'll say politically: Many, many people are more concerned about antisemitism from the left than the from the right, because the left has a veneer of education and respectability, NPR jazz vs. Dueling Banjos*) And sending koach to the people who do this job.

But how should we respond? By being a light unto the nations. Which comes from being the best people we can be, making Hashem's name beloved through our actions (which means Torah study to know how to act) and loving each other (and ditto for bein odom lachaveiro).

PinkFridge  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:14 pm
Sleepdeprived wrote:
Perhaps we shouldn't be engaging with the most vocal and hateful ones and giving them more opportunities to voice their hatred?

I wonder which Rav advised Shmuly to debate Candace, I'd love to know on who's head the tremendous chillul Hashem that happened is on. I'd love to know on who's authority my Rebbe's memory was tarnished and twisted.

Oy vey. I'm so not up on things. But let's say it was a good idea. Even so, we can't outsource what we on the each one of us should be doing. What we should be doing is being our best, purest selves.

PinkFridge  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:16 pm
sequoia wrote:
Learn. Have an overall concept of history, especially Jewish and world history as they tie in together. So your worldview doesn’t come crashing down. So you’re not vulnerable to nonsense.

Read the transcripts of medieval disputations. Very enlightening. Truly, nothing new under the sun.

One of the consequences of women not learning gemara is not knowing how to respond to “did you know what the Talmud says about non-Jews???!!!” comments. Everyone should know enough not to be intimidated.

Obv that doesn’t mean engaging with every idiot.

I think we do need to be more learned. But you're right: we don't have to engage and set the world straight. The conviction that we are enjoined to be good citizens, that we're familiar with Pirkei Avos, 3:18 (Chavivin odom [hello, that's humanity, not Jews] shenivra b'tzelem) this can be helpful too.

PinkFridge  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:17 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I learned Hashem causes antisemitism to increase when Jews become too assimilated.

There is a saying in yiddish

If a Jew doesn't make Kiddush
The [non jew] will make Havdalah

If a Jew isn't Holy and Separate,
The non jews will separate the Jew out of their midst.

Very true. But we have to make sure that we relate this to US, we are who are making kiddush. Are we being holy and distinct enough?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:20 pm
sequoia wrote:
Take a look at FB groups like “commie gibberish of the day” and “common sense extremists: the fire rises.” 90% of the posts are about Jews. The other 10% are about Muslims, black people, etc.
“The era of anti-racism” has not reached everyone.

And that’s exactly my point — whoever an antisemite is, whatever he is most against, he will find some way to blame Jews.

We can't win. The Jews are white, the Jews are semitic. The Jews are stateless, the Jews are colonialist. The Jews are this, the Jews are the exact opposite, ad nauseum.

iyar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:03 pm
Thank you Sequoia for saying all of that.
I think we need to educate ourselves about our own history Your post is a great start.
Beyond that we can just be the best Jews we can be and look out for each other. All the things we tried, including building our own state, turned out not to offer protection from the worst antisemitism. It’s part of our existence at this point in our history.
We’ve been engaging in debates about our religion for many hundreds of years. The most famous is the disputation of the Ramban in Barcelona but there were other Rishonim who were forced into this. Note I used the word “forced” because the authorities made them engage in these debates. They didn’t do it of their own free will. In spite of their brilliance and in spite of the fact that they were right, nothing good came of these debates. I’m not sure we can make them helpful today. Often they do a lot of harm.

Fox

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:51 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
But how should we respond? By being a light unto the nations. Which comes from being the best people we can be, making Hashem's name beloved through our actions (which means Torah study to know how to act) and loving each other (and ditto for bein odom lachaveiro).

So this is where I think the challenge lies: the status quo in America is changing. Orthodox Jews are increasing as a percentage of all American Jews at a rate of about 1.5 percent a year.

In a few decades, we will be the ones responding to antisemitism, not the secular Jewish infrastructure. Of course, we anticipate that thinking about this will be unnecessary -- that our galus will have ended. But I'm concerned we're not thinking through the messages that are being sent.

A few examples:

* Mandated Holocaust education in schools. Done well, perhaps this could achieve its goals, but that's rarely the case. Instead, Jews are introduced to kids who've never met a Jew as perpetual victims.

* Using Holocaust museums to "rehabilitate" antisemites. This is the same problem, but on steroids.

* Allowing the ADL too much "ownership" of the topic. Aside from their recent political alignment, they simply aren't doing a good job. We need different voices and perspectives addressing the issue.

* Balancing our rights as Americans with the proper attitude toward a medina shel chessed that is nevertheless non-Jewish.

* if and when it's appropriate to criticize Jewish behavior that falls far short of our values.

Obviously, there are not easy answers to any of these issues.

meamother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Very true. But we have to make sure that we relate this to US, we are who are making kiddush. Are we being holy and distinct enough?

This. This is what it's all about.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics