Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore- new girls school
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Iris wrote:
I’m so confused where everyone is hearing these rumors. Does anyone mind sharing where they’ve heard this from and whether it’s confirmed? Also how do we get more info that is official

I'm sure they'll start advertising when they are ready to start enrollment

amother
Pewter  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 11:31 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Rabbi Frohlich is not involved at all. It is a woman with a similar name.

Isn’t rabbi frohlich principal in Bais Yaakov middle school??

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 11:35 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Isn’t rabbi frohlich principal in Bais Yaakov middle school??

I believe it's a different Frohlich.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:22 am
I know 2 families that moved to Baltimore recently and I can see them wanting their kids in a yeshivish BY....

amother
  Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:20 am
Where is the more modern girls school? My girls at OCA are going to have nowhere to go for high school. 🙁 I was so hoping for a more modern girls school to be opening.

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 2:56 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I believe it's a different Frohlich.

Rabbi Moshe Frohlich is at BY
This is Rabbi Eliezer Froehlich (though I think I heard it's his wife, not him....I don't know how accurate my info is)

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:33 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Rabbi Moshe Frohlich is at BY
This is Rabbi Eliezer Froehlich (though I think I heard it's his wife, not him....I don't know how accurate my info is)

I heard a Mrs. Frolich as well. My niece is knows their daughter.

amother
Poinsettia  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:44 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Where is the more modern girls school? My girls at OCA are going to have nowhere to go for high school. 🙁 I was so hoping for a more modern girls school to be opening.

Yep since Rambam closed we really need a modern orthodox girls high school. We have OCA for elementary and YMC for boys high school but nothing for girls. They really don't fit in BY and traveling to Silver Spring is far.

I see the need for a TI style school for girls but BY really worked for so many years and kept the community cohesive. We just need more schools because BY is too big. When I was there, it was 5 classes per grade. Now my daughter has 8 classes per grade. It's too much.

amother
cornflower  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:51 am
Those upset that a yeshivish school might open, would you also be upset if an MO school would open?

amother
  Poinsettia

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:54 am
amother cornflower wrote:
Those upset that a yeshivish school might open, would you also be upset if an MO school would open?

I wouldn't be but it's different. BY is a very frum hashkafically right wing school. It caters to the yeshiva crowd in a way that a MO school would not. MO is an entirely different hashkafa.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:55 am
I grew up in Baltimore but don’t live there anymore.

To me the beauty always was everyone was in one school.

I understand the need for more girls as a community grows.

It’s just bec as school ‘types’ are started ppl have to fit more into a specific box to attend that school. That is how it is were I live now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:30 am
amother Gray wrote:
I heard a Mrs. Frolich as well. My niece is knows their daughter.

(We know both families but don't live in Baltimore to catch up on the "hock" all the time...)

BY is huge, the rabbonim are okaying new schools opening. I don't think it'll take away from the existing schools and their flavor, all new schools take time to really build a presence and Baltimore has had some rocky starts to some of the newer schools.
Despite new ones opening up (boys, Chabad, Montessori, chassidish, etc) the original schools have remained the central option that most people choose from all walks of life...

amother
  Wheat  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 8:43 am
For some reason, girls schools in Baltimore aside from BY and Bnos didn’t work out. Who here remembers Shalsheles? Bais Chaya Mushka? Were there others? BY is very frum and big, but every principal/teacher/administrator knows each girl/family. Bnos wants to be small and won’t have more than two classes per grade but all schools work together to make sure every fit has a place to go. I think a modern girls high school would serve the community best. Personally I’m very happy at BY and didn’t really look into Bnos, but when my oldest girl started school Bnos was still a very new school and people were still waiting to see which direction it would go in. I wish the Frohlichs much hatzlacha, even if they open up with two classes per grade and don’t take anyone from Bnos BY will still be a nice sized school.

amother
Seagreen  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 5:18 pm
amother Violet wrote:
This. And the beauty of Baltimore is that it's not so separated.

Posts like this get me so mad about Baltimore. Everyone's all into the beauty of it not being separated, achdus blah blah but it's one sided. Beth Tefiloh and OCA can have their own schools, more modern than BY and Bnos, Chabad can have their own school, Chasidish can have their own school, but if chas v'shalom the more yeshivish, right wing want a frummer school than BY (and gasp there are actually real people living here who strongly feel BY is to the LEFT) we are called out for wanting a different mihalech. WE have to be open minded and accepting and expose our children to things we'd rather not, but but that doesn't apply to the above mentioned schools. Sorry, that's called misguided achdus at best.

And to the poster who asked why someone would want to live here if they don't feel BY and Bnos are frum enough is just dripping with sinas chinum. You obviously don't feel everyone is welcome here- only those who share YOUR hashkafos.

I have a sibling who wants to move to Baltimore so badly. There's 2 of us here so far and the ONLY thing stopping her is the fact that there is no right wing BY here. Her boys would attend TI in a second. If you really want to promote achdus let's welcome all of klal yisroel to Baltimore and not fit everyone into the same box. There's shivim panim latorah- not just your brand of it. Baltimore is a beautiful city and coming from in town I appreciate so much about it but I'm so tired of hearing about the achdus when it only works one way.

amother
  Violet  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Posts like this get me so mad about Baltimore. Everyone's all into the beauty of it not being separated, achdus blah blah but it's one sided. Beth Tefiloh and OCA can have their own schools, more modern than BY and Bnos, Chabad can have their own school, Chasidish can have their own school, but if chas v'shalom the more yeshivish, right wing want a frummer school than BY (and gasp there are actually real people living here who strongly feel BY is to the LEFT) we are called out for wanting a different mihalech. WE have to be open minded and accepting and expose our children to things we'd rather not, but but that doesn't apply to the above mentioned schools. Sorry, that's called misguided achdus at best.

And to the poster who asked why someone would want to live here if they don't feel BY and Bnos are frum enough is just dripping with sinas chinum. You obviously don't feel everyone is welcome here- only those who share YOUR hashkafos.

I have a sibling who wants to move to Baltimore so badly. There's 2 of us here so far and the ONLY thing stopping her is the fact that there is no right wing BY here. Her boys would attend TI in a second. If you really want to promote achdus let's welcome all of klal yisroel to Baltimore and not fit everyone into the same box. There's shivim panim latorah- not just your brand of it. Baltimore is a beautiful city and coming from in town I appreciate so much about it but I'm so tired of hearing about the achdus when it only works one way.

What is not right-wing enough about the girls schools? I don't have girls yet, so I don't really know what people feel is lacking. Is it the curriculum? a lack of stricter rules?

amother
  Pewter  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 5:33 pm
amother Violet wrote:
What is not right-wing enough about the girls schools? I don't have girls yet, so I don't really know what people feel is lacking. Is it the curriculum? a lack of stricter rules?

There are girls in BY and bnos that talk about movies and have smart phones. I would move to Baltimore but there’s no school like my Lakewood school and I don’t want my kids exposed to movies, internet, Netflix YouTube, smart phones and the leggings with no socks look. My girls always wear knee socks or tights and are not exposed to internet or movies.

amother
  Diamond

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:47 pm
It’s opening because the other schools mamish have no room. The other schools are asking for a new one to open.

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 11:03 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
It’s opening because the other schools mamish have no room. The other schools are asking for a new one to open.

This..
BY is bursting at the seams.
Not so bad to have other options, I don’t think it needs to take away from the beautiful achdus in this town.

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:25 am
Quote:
There are girls in BY and bnos that talk about movies and have smart phones. I would move to Baltimore but there’s no school like my Lakewood school and I don’t want my kids exposed to movies, internet, Netflix YouTube, smart phones and the leggings with no socks look. My girls always wear knee socks or tights and are not exposed to internet or movies.

I grew up in Baltimore, and graduated over 25 years ago. So I will agree times have changed. But I had some very modern girls in my class who because the school is so mixed, landed with the right friends and became way "frummer" than their family. In one case that comes to mind, she married a guy who learned in kollel and now her married son is in Kollel. This could only happen in a school like Bais Yaakov of Baltimore.

I don't know Bais Yaakov rules, but Bnos has rules about socks. Officially they don't allow leggings under the uniform (but I can't say the rule is never broken, but it's really a tiny # of kids) I have no clue which families have internet or watch movies as it's just not really brought up amongst my daughters friends. The parents on their own made a rule in my kids class that no technology be used at all when friends are over.

I heard more information about the new school over the weekend. I did not hear it 1st hand so take it as you may...The vaad harabanim of Baltimore is not allowing a more yeshivish high school to open. It would have all the other schools require re-admissions for their high school, causing issues like in Lakewood where girls don't have a school because they are closed out.

They are started with preschool maybe 1st grade. They can work their way up the grades including high school (but cannot start with high school). They were told by the vaad Harabanim, that they CANNOT turn away kids of other hashkafos based on hashkafa, but they can make strict rules that will be less of interest in the less yeshivish chevra such as no internet period in the house. The rumor is that the new kollelim in town plan to send their kids there.

If there is no internet period, it will be an issue if the wives work from home.

amother
  Lightgreen

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:33 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Quote:

I grew up in Baltimore, and graduated over 25 years ago. So I will agree times have changed. But I had some very modern girls in my class who because the school is so mixed, landed with the right friends and became way "frummer" than their family. In one case that comes to mind, she married a guy who learned in kollel and now her married son is in Kollel. This could only happen in a school like Bais Yaakov of Baltimore.

I don't know Bais Yaakov rules, but Bnos has rules about socks. Officially they don't allow leggings under the uniform (but I can't say the rule is never broken, but it's really a tiny # of kids) I have no clue which families have internet or watch movies as it's just not really brought up amongst my daughters friends. The parents on their own made a rule in my kids class that no technology be used at all when friends are over.

I heard more information about the new school over the weekend. I did not hear it 1st hand so take it as you may...The vaad harabanim of Baltimore is not allowing a more yeshivish high school to open. It would have all the other schools require re-admissions for their high school, causing issues like in Lakewood where girls don't have a school because they are closed out.

They are started with preschool maybe 1st grade. They can work their way up the grades including high school (but cannot start with high school). They were told by the vaad Harabanim, that they CANNOT turn away kids of other hashkafos based on hashkafa, but they can make strict rules that will be less of interest in the less yeshivish chevra such as no internet period in the house. The rumor is that the new kollelim in town plan to send their kids there.

If there is no internet period, it will be an issue if the wives work from home.

Do you think they would actually have a rule that you cannot have Internet at all?

We want to move to Baltimore and DH would want a drummer school... But we do have Internet, filtered, but it still exists in my house. Do you think the new school would be that strict with it?
Just curious
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics