Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Starting Thursday is dumb
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:49 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
I’m not sure but I think part of it is the ability to go away. If the kids start, say Monday, you could be away this week and come back Sunday and have the whole weekend away. If they start Thursday then they’re only getting 5-6 hours of school for the week but it’s a whole week not going away taken out.

Im sorry but that is not a good enough reason to start school at a certain time.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:53 am
MO schools started this past Tuesday. Still a short week but not ridiculously short.

amother
  Stonewash

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 8:48 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
What can't you be away until Tuesday?
Now a days with Airbnb you can chose which days you want. It's not like it used to be where you have to book a full week for a vacation home, from Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday.

You miss almost a full week of vacation for what may be 5 hours of school, since it’s often “half days”.
I didn’t go anywhere this isn’t my personal view just speculating

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 5:44 pm
I don't get why everyone is assuming the alternative to a Thursday start would be next Monday. Why not half a day Wednesday, then a full day Thursday? It's still a slow start because it's only one full day and then it's Friday, Shabbos, Sunday.

The way it was done this year was just silly. 2 hrs of school on Thursday and then another 2 hrs on Friday? That's hardly like starting at all.

Agree, OP.

gr82no

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 5:54 pm
In places where kids go to school on buses provided by the district , busing only starts the Wednesday after labor day so that is when we started school

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:15 pm
Ladies what is the point of investing thoughts wether it's better to start on a Monday or on a Friday, on Tuesday or on a Thursday???
The schools decide the schedule and we send our kids!
Our preferences are pretty irrelevant! LOL

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:37 pm
amother Green wrote:
Ladies what is the point of investing thoughts wether it's better to start on a Monday or on a Friday, on Tuesday or on a Thursday???
The schools decide the schedule and we send our kids!
Our preferences are pretty irrelevant! LOL

Maybe she’s hoping that someone who has a say in the school schedule will see this thread and make changes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 1:20 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Maybe she’s hoping that someone who has a say in the school schedule will see this thread and make changes.

Well this year is done so what makes more sense than hoping someone sees this thread would be to get many parents together, who feel the same way, and tell the school administration, for next year. One thread is going to do nothing.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 2:10 pm
Next year September 1st is on a Monday, so no one need worry. Plenty of time to either forget about this, or develop a new policy before 2026.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics