Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Starting Thursday is dumb
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:35 pm
Kids starting Thursday is so silly. Any positives? If having a half a week is a benefit than wednesday.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:43 pm
I like the idea of a slow start. It helps kids get back on schedule easier and is an easier transition

chestnut

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Kids starting Thursday is so silly. Any positives? If having a half a week is a benefit than wednesday.

Would starting next Monday be better?

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:45 pm
Totally disagree. It eases the transition. First full week (next week) will be rough. This is easy

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:48 pm
I understand starting on Thursday for preschool. It eases them into school a bit. But can someone please explain why my 16 year old only had a half day today for her first day of school?

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:48 pm
I actually love it.
Made the transition back to school so much easier for my kids.
They were so miserable to go back, and it made it so much easier for them knowing it was just one day, and then Friday, and then Shabbos!

amother
Stonewash  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:54 pm
I don’t get why they had half days. Thankfully my girls school didn’t. But my son had three half days this week. Don’t get it.

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:57 pm
My preschool child is starting tomorrow. I'm happy about it. It's a big adjustment and this will help her ease into it slowly

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 12:38 am
Starting on Thursday is way easier on the kids than starting on Monday.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 1:46 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
I understand starting on Thursday for preschool. It eases them into school a bit. But can someone please explain why my 16 year old only had a half day today for her first day of school?

It’s overwhelming for any kid to meet 8 new teachers, hear expectations, sit all day for the first time in months. Gives them time to adjust and get used to being a student again

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 2:31 am
amother OP wrote:

Why?? It's the best thing ever!! Eases them into it. Its actually brilliant.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 3:15 am
amother Kiwi wrote:

It's an adjustment for them also. M wy daughter works so hard and is not excited to have ten months of really intense studying after a whole summer of fun. My sixteen-year-old had a shortened day also where they were given schedules, had a fun team-building activity, saw their friends after a summer away etc... Tomorrow they'll have a shorter day of regular classes, and then Monday they'll have been eased back into a full day of classes. I think it's a great idea.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 3:26 am
In the israeli mamad school system, we start on septemeber 1, no matter what, if its a wed, fri or sunday. And I cant really understand why it would make any difference what day of the week school starts. If its the end of the week it eases them in slowly and if its the beginning of the week, then they have a full week.
I dont understand what the big deal is.

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:44 am
My daughter school started on Thursday, a full day! It was soooo long for her-she is a first grader. Had to sit in a desk all day.

I think it would be better for the girls to start a half day on Wednesday and then full day on Thursday.

I like that school starts midweek. The children can have a weekend break after a few days.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:48 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
My daughter school started on Thursday, a full day! It was soooo long for her-she is a first grader. Had to sit in a desk all day.

I think it would be better for the girls to start a half day on Wednesday and then full day on Thursday.

I like that school starts midweek. The children can have a weekend break after a few days.

And not boys?

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:48 am
amother OP wrote:

We can never do it right.
The schools who didn't want to start on Thursday are starting on Monday and a whole different thread was starting bashing that....

amother
  Stonewash  

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:00 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In the israeli mamad school system, we start on septemeber 1, no matter what, if its a wed, fri or sunday. And I cant really understand why it would make any difference what day of the week school starts. If its the end of the week it eases them in slowly and if its the beginning of the week, then they have a full week.
I dont understand what the big deal is.

I’m not sure but I think part of it is the ability to go away. If the kids start, say Monday, you could be away this week and come back Sunday and have the whole weekend away. If they start Thursday then they’re only getting 5-6 hours of school for the week but it’s a whole week not going away taken out.

Brit in Israel

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:04 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
I’m not sure but I think part of it is the ability to go away. If the kids start, say Monday, you could be away this week and come back Sunday and have the whole weekend away. If they start Thursday then they’re only getting 5-6 hours of school for the week but it’s a whole week not going away taken out.

What can't you be away until Tuesday?
Now a days with Airbnb you can chose which days you want. It's not like it used to be where you have to book a full week for a vacation home, from Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:05 am
It's much easier for the teachers also this way Hiding

chocolate pie

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 7:17 am
Another advantage with starting a half a day is that the first day they only half to bring in supplies for limudei kodesh, the first day. They usually have too many supplies and seforim to carry themselves- especially the younger students.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics