Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are you embarrassed to tell ppl if you're on vouchers?
Previous  1  2

Are you embarrassed to tell ppl you're on vouchers?
Yes  
 16%  [ 12 ]
No  
 83%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 74

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I get embarrassed and put on the spot if I'm asked outright or if someone asks where I send to a playgroup and it's a voucher only playgroup. Like it's basically letting you know my income status

I don't know which community you're from but here in BP no one gets put down for having vouchers, no one thinks of it in terms of income. Probably because it's something everyone has.
I proudly tell people that I don't believe in lying or cheating so I pay full price for playgroup for my son, but everyone does what works for them.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 5:53 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Child care vouchers for free tuition

Tuition is not free with vouchers. It pays $4,000 per child, so that's what the schools will take off. We're still paying the rest of it.

People who know me see my lifestyle and how we live according to our means. Husband and I both work, we don't own a home and don't go on yearly vacations. So no, I'm not embarrassed to say that we have vouchers.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 5:58 pm
Its officially if both parents work. I had it for one year then got kicked off it

amother
Bergamot  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 6:03 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
I don't know which community you're from but here in BP no one gets put down for having vouchers, no one thinks of it in terms of income. Probably because it's something everyone has.
I proudly tell people that I don't believe in lying or cheating so I pay full price for playgroup for my son, but everyone does what works for them.

Most people getting vouchers aren't necessarily cheating to get them. You may not be aware, but many families have 2 working parents that make under, say $120k a year. Or one can be looking for work.

amother
  Bergamot  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 6:16 pm
To answer the original question, no it wouldn't occur to me to be embarrassed.
Are you pretending to be very wealthy otherwise?

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 7:14 pm
Maybe need a spinoff but how do vouchers work in nyc? Do I have to send to a specific place for them or do they work with any legal childcare?

amother
Papaya  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Maybe need a spinoff but how do vouchers work in nyc? Do I have to send to a specific place for them or do they work with any legal childcare?

They work with any place that’s approved by them

amother
Lime  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 7:49 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Most people getting vouchers aren't necessarily cheating to get them. You may not be aware, but many families have 2 working parents that make under, say $120k a year. Or one can be looking for work.

If you’re making less than 120k a year you won’t necessarily qualify for vouchers. We’re making 100 and we don’t qualify

amother
  Bergamot

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 7:51 pm
amother Lime wrote:
If you’re making less than 120k a year you won’t necessarily qualify for vouchers. We’re making 100 and we don’t qualify

Obviously depending how many children you have. We are both working and making well under the limit, fortunately or unfortunately

amother
  Lime

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Obviously depending how many children you have. We are both working and making well under the limit, fortunately or unfortunately

Right I forgot about that. We’re 3 people

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 2:36 pm
Most people I know who have vouchers do not have it legally. And there's no shame in letting people know that their kids are in a vouchers playgroup.

They look down upon you for not adjusting your income to get vouchers.

amother
  Papaya

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Most people I know who have vouchers do not have it legally. And there's no shame in letting people know that their kids are in a vouchers playgroup.

They look down upon you for not adjusting your income to get vouchers.

Thanks for bumping up an old thread with some very useful information Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics