Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler fracture healed but not walking

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:08 pm
My 2.5 year old fractured his lower leg beginning of july. He wore a cast and got his boot off last week. The orthopedist did x-rays and said he is healed. Problem is my son is still not walking. He scoots and crawls to get around and can stand up while holding on. Orthopedist said this is normal at this stage and I need to give it time. He said no physical therapy is necessary but I’m very concerned. Does anyone have experience with this?

springflower

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:25 pm
I know of at least 2 young kids- but older then 2.5- who also took some time to walk after being in a cast- swimming was very helpful for both of them- good for strengthening the muscles and using the leg (kicking etc) without being scared.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:29 pm
My ds was 5 when he fractured his tibia, it took a little time for him to start walking after the cast and boot was off, PT definitely helped him and got him back to almost as good as before in no time.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:01 pm
For those saying it took some time-do you have an approximation of how long? Also should I look into PT even though the orthopedist does not suggest it? Or just give it more time?

UQT

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:12 pm
It took my daughter a couple of weeks after the break to walk again. Then a month later a small toy fell from a shelf onto her foot and she didn’t walk for two days. I was flipping out but the doctor said the trauma is real and they are too young to understand they are ok now.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 3:06 am
Yes, after weeks of not being able to walk on his leg and knowing to be careful, ds was terrified to take a step. I can't remember how many days it took, but it was a few, then he had to build up his confidence again. He did limp and find it harder for a few months after, but eventually he was fine. We took him to PT who gave us some exercises to help build up his muscles and strength. PT explained that after all those weeks of sitting and not using that leg, the muscles were weaker.
Now he's nearly 2 years later and you would never know. He does still remember it, but not in a traumatized way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics