57%  [ 78 ]
Only Jewish sites/stores  
 13%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 136

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:35 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
I disagree. I have never bought in-season clothes, and likely never will, even if I could afford it (iy"H!). I only buy end of the season. I will not pay service to the norms. We make the norms. Kids are happy to get new clothes whenever. Doesn't have to be at the start of the season.

Also, what happened to hand-me-downs? I have 3 in a row of the same gender, and have never needed to buy clothing again after the 1st. I do get a few new things for each kid if I see something cute for a good price and also I like to match them sometimes, but we could definitely make do on just the clothes from the oldest.

Do people buy only current season and not pass anything down to their next kid? (If they have more than 1 of that gender)

Then you have three girls in a row. Or three very atypical boys in a row.

amother
Cerulean  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:50 am
Question for people who can tell…

If your kids are older would you still know about current styles of young children’s clothing?

If you only have boys, do you know about girls clothing styles?

Is this only about kids clothes or women’s clothing too?

amother
  Cantaloupe  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 6:10 am
amother Coffee wrote:
Then you have three girls in a row. Or three very atypical boys in a row.
Lol, yes I have girls.

But how much style is there to boy's clothes anyhow? Over age 3

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:05 am
mazelandbracha wrote:
I agree with Dolly Welsh. Especially if your daughter is older than around 5 or 6. As she said, not everything, but a few current pieces. A girl needs to feel accepted and normal and while I agree it’s silly to care about these things, girls can be mean and it is very important for your daughter to feel socially normal. Go ahead and throw tomatoes.

My DD13 doesn't give a hoot if her clothing is "current." Not every kid cares.

Is this "not normal"?

Trademark

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:08 am
amother Jetblack wrote:

Is this "not normal"?

I was actually very surprised at her post. The styles don't change so drastically from year to year that it could be that noticeable for the vast majority of people. It's not like they are wearing their mother's dresses from the 80s and '90s.

Unless she lives in a community where it's a thing.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:10 am
Yes, but only because lately I have to spend so much time browsing all the frum websites for clothes for my dd who is a hard fit. And because I have a good memory for these things. Not because I care.

Also, just because something is from "this year", doesn't mean it's more "current". At least not in my mind. Except for in a completely arbitrary sense that this is what the companies decided to produce this year. I don't see actual styles changing much from year to year.

amother
  Cerulean

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:11 am
amother Jetblack wrote:

Is this "not normal"?

It depends where you live.
By nature I also don’t care. I just want to be nice and neat. I live in a community where fashion is very important. People consider you “socially off” if you wear outdated styles.
When I first moved here I was probably considered very socially off. However my girls are teens and I see that it’s very important for them to fit in and be accepted. So I buy things that I don’t think really make sense. I do this for my kids sake because fitting in and being accepted are very important at that age.
So I think it all boils down to where you live.

giftedmom  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:12 am
Trademark wrote:
I was actually very surprised at her post. The styles don't change so drastically from year to year that it could be that noticeable for the vast majority of people. It's not like they are wearing their mother's dresses from the 80s and '90s.

Unless she lives in a community where it's a thing.

Frum brands like parni and pastel make some very popular pieces each season so girls above a certain age would know and notice if you’re wearing last years style.
There are also plenty other more generic pieces that no one would know the difference.

amother
Wine  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:22 am
giftedmom wrote:
Frum brands like parni and pastel make some very popular pieces each season so girls above a certain age would know and notice if you’re wearing last years style.
There are also plenty other more generic pieces that no one would know the difference.

You're obviously talking about specific communities here, the ones who shop in stores like parni and pastel.
For the rest of us, I make sure my kids cloths are trendy and up to date. Doesn't have to mean that it's mainly this season as long as it has the classy and clean look. For myself I really don't care, Most of my tops are 4-5 years old. I have a very classy taste so my things are never really out of style or off, just not necessarily this season's styles

amother
  Daphne  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:31 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Lol, yes I have girls.

But how much style is there to boy's clothes anyhow? Over age 3
Not much style but the way most boys shred their clothes, it’s not going to be in one piece for boy 3.

amother
  Daphne

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:34 am
amother Wine wrote:
You're obviously talking about specific communities here, the ones who shop in stores like parni and pastel.
For the rest of us, I make sure my kids cloths are trendy and up to date. Doesn't have to mean that it's mainly this season as long as it has the classy and clean look. For myself I really don't care, Most of my tops are 4-5 years old. I have a very classy taste so my things are never really out of style or off, just not necessarily this season's styles
It’s not just those stores. Every year there are a few tshirts that “everyone” is wearing. When I got it for dd the next year she was able to recognize that it was “last years”. She still wore it. But I prefer to avoid that because I don’t want her to pick up that there’s new styles every season and then I’ll be stuck paying full price

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:38 am
mazelandbracha wrote:
I agree with Dolly Welsh. Especially if your daughter is older than around 5 or 6. As she said, not everything, but a few current pieces. A girl needs to feel accepted and normal and while I agree it’s silly to care about these things, girls can be mean and it is very important for your daughter to feel socially normal. Go ahead and throw tomatoes.

A girl needs to know that she can be accepted and normal and that her worth is not based on the clothes she wears. What do we want to teach our children??

amother
  Wine  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 7:42 am
mazelandbracha wrote:

Dressing and feeling socially normal does not mean wearing this season's clothes.
I'm not against getting my dd a current piece or 2 if she needs more clothing. I am against making it into a thing, that every season you need an outfit otherwise you're socially off.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 8:27 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Make sure at least one or two pieces she has, every year, are current year. It can't be always last year. And believe me, somebody knows. Now if you were unable to spend more, that's legit. But you are able. And other people know that part, too.

I am sure the clothes you find on sale are perfectly nice, but still, pay some service to the norms she has to move around in. They are her reality.

Please educate me why one must have it least one or two pieces of the current year.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 9:36 am
Every season there's something that screams "this season." It may be a color, a tailoring detail like visible seams or asymmetric hemline, or something else. I avoid such items b'shittah and go for the classics as much as possible. Who needs an item that will be utterly passe in a few months, unless it's something disposable (which I also avoid to the extent possible)? I buy for the long haul, even for kids. Hand-me-downs rule!

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 9:53 am
I couldn’t tell you (unless something is clearly very old) and I don’t care. My kids wear almost exclusively hand me downs. They’re always very well dressed, b”h.

If I had a kid who cared, I would buy them 2-3 outfits from the current season.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 6:25 pm
I could tell. Not because that’s what I buy, I don’t. I just enjoy watching the frum fashion trends.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 6:39 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Dressing and feeling socially normal does not mean wearing this season's clothes.
I'm not against getting my dd a current piece or 2 if she needs more clothing. I am against making it into a thing, that every season you need an outfit otherwise you're socially off.

Right on, this is so nice to see.
Thank you for posting this reply

How can this fashion mishigas exist as a Jewish concept to be perpetuated? This is fostering good middos or ahavas yisrael?

Oy, meh haya lanu.

giftedmom  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 6:45 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
I girl needs to know that she can be accepted and normal and that her worth is not based on the clothes she wears. What do we want to teach our children??

We want to teach our children that we care about them and are aware of the reality of their lives. The teen years can be brutal. No need to make it harder by making them suffer for your ideals. You’re not the one sitting in a classroom desperate to fit in.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 6:51 pm
I’m a fish out of water and I could care less. I have a closet full of expensive designer items and am very into fashion

I still buy all my kids clothes from gap, old navy and carters. They are little, they don’t know what designer means and they outgrow everything in two seconds. Plus it’s cute stuff, I don’t care if no one else wears it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics