No  
 57%  [ 78 ]
Only Jewish sites/stores  
 13%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 136

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:39 pm
I have an only child and love being frugal. To me, it's more of a hobby than a necessity. I love shopping sales and second hand. However, I always wonder in the back of my mind if ppl can tell that her clothes are not from current season.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have an only child and love being frugal. To me, it's more of a hobby than a necessity. I love shopping sales and second hand. However, I always wonder in the back of my mind if ppl can tell that her clothes are not from current season.

Yes I can, I know all the brands and styles that the frum stores sell and most designer items as well. And I couldn’t care less if your child is wearing least seasons clothing. Mine do too sometimes

ETA- I knew I’d get hugged for answering honestly. I literally don’t care what season you wear. But yea, I do know which season it’s from. Sue me

simcha12plus

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 3:10 pm
I know a lot of the Jewish clothing. However, if the clothing is clean and current enough, then it doesn’t matter.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 3:14 pm
Make sure at least one or two pieces she has, every year, are current year. It can't be always last year. And believe me, somebody knows. Now if you were unable to spend more, that's legit. But you are able. And other people know that part, too.

I am sure the clothes you find on sale are perfectly nice, but still, pay some service to the norms she has to move around in. They are her reality.

agreer

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 3:41 pm
I can't tell at all, but my question is, who cares?

If the child doesn't, don't fret.
If she's mad about it, make sure she feels good.

Also...if she's a baby or toddler, really, don't fret!!!

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:38 pm
Some people can. Most people can't. You do you and pay no mind to the fashion feinshmeckers. Even Kate Middleton occasionally wears things from previous seasons, and the fashion rags feature photos of her and extol her brilliance.

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 5:20 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Make sure at least one or two pieces she has, every year, are current year. It can't be always last year. And believe me, somebody knows. Now if you were unable to spend more, that's legit. But you are able. And other people know that part, too.

I am sure the clothes you find on sale are perfectly nice, but still, pay some service to the norms she has to move around in. They are her reality.

This is so sad. Sorry.

I went through a stage of only buying this year's style.. And I'm glad I stopped. It's so rediculous. What would be the need to give advice to someone to make sure to have one or two pieces of the current year style.

OP I sometimes do two years ago seasons because I don't need people looking at me funny. But not everyone remembers two years agos clothing.

But do what works for you.

Sad generation that were being judged which season we bought our kids clothing from.
Clean and neat I understand the importance.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 5:27 pm
Op I have plenty of money to buy new season clothes and I take handme- downs from my siblings. They have beautiful things and if they look nice, who cares

amother
Cantaloupe  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 5:38 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

I disagree. I have never bought in-season clothes, and likely never will, even if I could afford it (iy"H!). I only buy end of the season. I will not pay service to the norms. We make the norms. Kids are happy to get new clothes whenever. Doesn't have to be at the start of the season.

Also, what happened to hand-me-downs? I have 3 in a row of the same gender, and have never needed to buy clothing again after the 1st. I do get a few new things for each kid if I see something cute for a good price and also I like to match them sometimes, but we could definitely make do on just the clothes from the oldest.

Do people buy only current season and not pass anything down to their next kid? (If they have more than 1 of that gender)

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:17 pm
If her overall look fits with her peers, she's fine. If she's noticeably different, not ok imo. It's not as much about whether her clothing is the latest trend as whether or not it's just the right look. And once she's old enough to have an opinion, please respect her opinion.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:20 pm
I’m mean there’s a difference between last year and last decade, yknow…

amother
White

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:37 pm
There are certain brands that produce large quantities & sell in every jewish store around the globe. When I shop end of season (almost always) I try to stay away from those brands & anything really that I saw too much of that season.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:39 pm
no

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:42 pm
I always know but who cares...I am very into frum fashion I love checking out what the brands come out with each season. I can tell you which brand your kid is wearing easily. It's a hobby. My kids wear hand me downs tho I couldn't care less

giftedmom  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:45 pm
Yeah but who cares. My kids mostly wear last season. Their friends don’t know or care. If it’s a kid whose friends will notice I buy statement pieces that are current season and neutral basics on sale.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:52 pm
I think it depends on the piece. Some brands, styles, and colors will be easily recognizable and likely to be remembered more. Others may be able to fit in with current seasons better.

mazelandbracha

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:57 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
This is so sad. Sorry.

I went through a stage of only buying this year's style.. And I'm glad I stopped. It's so rediculous. What would be the need to give advice to someone to make sure to have one or two pieces of the current year style.

OP I sometimes do two years ago seasons because I don't need people looking at me funny. But not everyone remembers two years agos clothing.

But do what works for you.

Sad generation that were being judged which season we bought our kids clothing from.
Clean and neat I understand the importance.

I agree with Dolly Welsh. Especially if your daughter is older than around 5 or 6. As she said, not everything, but a few current pieces. A girl needs to feel accepted and normal and while I agree it’s silly to care about these things, girls can be mean and it is very important for your daughter to feel socially normal. Go ahead and throw tomatoes.

wiki

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:01 pm
A lot of the styles remain substantially the same from year to year. I pretty much can't tell what's a "last year" style.

amother
Daphne  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:05 pm
amother White wrote:
There are certain brands that produce large quantities & sell in every jewish store around the globe. When I shop end of season (almost always) I try to stay away from those brands & anything really that I saw too much of that season.
This, because my kids have commented “oh everyone wore that last year”. I don’t want them to feel like they’re wearing last years clothes. If it’s a less popular style then who cares if it’s from last year.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 7:13 pm
I wrote yes I can tell before I read the question. I thought you meant if I could tell which adult clothes are very out of style. So feel free to subtract one from the poll.

My toddler wears almost exclusively hand me downs from her older sister.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics