Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/o Airbnb/hotel do u check out on time?
Previous  1  2  3

bigsis144

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 6:54 pm
Always check out on time, even if that means just 5 minutes before.

One time we had checked out on time by 10:55 and went for a walk nearby and one of the kids fell in a mud puddle. I texted the landlord to ask if we could reopen the door somehow to shower the kid off and change their clothes before getting on the road. They were really nice and said they’d let us in and checkout at 11:30 without a late-checkout charge.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Sat, Aug 31 2024, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 6:54 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I think 11 is the more common checkout time in hotels.

Lately I've seen more and more with a 12:00 checkout but I've never seen 10. Always 11 or later.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:12 pm
Am I out on 11 on the dot probably not
I guess I'm just not that punctual, but there's a difference in running 15 min late and staying another 4 hours past what you paid lol

amother
  Tulip

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:12 pm
In the UK it's always been 10am 🤷‍♀️

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:32 pm
amother Coral wrote:
So running 15 min late is a crime?

Halachically staying past the agreed upon time is probably stealing. Not criminal but, stealing , yeah.

seeker

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:33 pm
If I'm running late or want a more chilled departure, I contact the host and ask what's ok.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
We don’t. We open the lock and stay until someone shows up 😆

If you use electricity and water, it may be a halachic issue, ask your Rav.
Why not just ask if its OK to stay till the cleaning person comes?

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:41 pm
We were at an Airbnb for 10am checkout. The cleaning lady was waiting outside at 9:45. It was extremely pressuring and stressful. I only managed to get out about 10:15-10:20. I apologized to her and she told me not to worry and that it's totally normal to go a little over time.

tweety1

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 7:53 pm
That's exactly why we always choose a hotel. At a hotel they always allow late checkout. True that the amenities are less but for us late checkout is more important.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 8:01 pm
Checking out a few minutes late most places are ok with and understanding that packing up a family takes time and is hard to plan to the Minute but still technically have every right to charge you. Intentionally staying until you see someone coming is genaiva and terrible chilul hashem

ittsamother

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 8:33 pm
tweety1 wrote:
That's exactly why we always choose a hotel. At a hotel they always allow late checkout. True that the amenities are less but for us late checkout is more important.

We actually asked a hotel for late checkout once and they apologized and denied it.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 8:38 pm
Yes--If it is a couple min late I don't make a big deal. But if you go over, it is potentially geneiva. You're paying for x amount of time staying for something not paid for.

kenz

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 9:15 pm
hodeez wrote:
What's the point of opening the lock?

I thought she meant she opened the lock so the owner or cleaners could just walk in on them but they stay until that happens. I don’t know why you would do that; what are you gaining if you might have to leave any minute anyway?

amother
Melon

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 9:23 pm
We always leave on time or earlier but I have friends who don’t. They don’t manage to get their act together, sometimes for hours. It’s a huge chillul hashem even if you’re willing to pay.

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Aug 31 2024, 11:19 pm
We just stayed at 2 hotels (Marriott) and being that we’re gold status (not so hard to get) they offer late checkout upon request. So we got 2 pm in one hotel and 2:30 in the other and it was so helpful to have the extra time.

I love sleeping late and being relaxed, and my kids enjoyed the empty pool.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:41 pm
We leave on time , even a few minutes early. The checkout time is not a surprise , we know it when we book and we plan accordingly (packing up most things the night before). I would be terrified to make a chilul Hashem by just hanging around staying in the air bnb. I would also think long and hard about the message I’m giving to my kids.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:45 pm
Many places even charge for late check out. Then it’s for sure stealing.
We always leave on time. Maybe a few minutes later if busy with garbage rules or turning off lights.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 8:49 pm
Am I the only one extremely curious what op is doing in the apartment while waiting for someone to come kick them out? I assume you’re all packed up, the place is tidied up, plane tickets anyone? Like what’s there to do while anticipating being shooed out at any moment?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics