Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Quin vs fig vs cat
Previous  1  2

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:24 am
I'm very happy with the cat. It's fallen many times. My husband found it really cheap, for under $100. Not sure where. If you have the browser and playstore removed, it is essentially kosher. I'm not sure why people say you can't filter it. It's like any othe android phone.

amother
SandyBrown  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:28 am
how did you get the apps on the cat?

What about the sunbeam aspen phone with waze - how does that compare?

watergirl  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:36 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
how did you get the apps on the cat?

What about the sunbeam aspen phone with waze - how does that compare?

The cat comes preloaded with the aps if you get it from a frum company.

amother
  SandyBrown  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:25 pm
I was just looking at the fig phones but see that the full size one is sold out - is the mini too small to be functional?

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 4:04 pm
I was just looking at the fig phones but see that the full size one is sold out - is the mini too small to be functional?

No, not at all.
It looks like a regular sized phone.
Their other phone is bigger, so this one is the mini.

amother
  SandyBrown

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 7:21 am
I know that tag doesn't recommend the cat phone....does anyone have a link of a company that sells the cat phone pre-koshered? (I want it to have camera, waze etc.)

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:59 am
I know that tag doesn't recommend the cat phone....does anyone have a link of a company that sells the cat phone pre-koshered? (I want it to have camera, waze etc.)

Perry Sapperstein in Baltimore does and he is wonderful if you want to reach out to him. His phones are Yeshiva approved (we don't need Tag approved phones here, each school has their own standards). I'm not comfortable posting his info on here but I can send it to you another way if you want. He will not put whatsapp on a phone at all and says Tag is soon going to "assur" it.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 10:24 am

It isn’t recommended bec it comes with browser, touch screen like any smart phone.

Gen tech can filter it and put on apps.

If you are tech savvy you can filter yourself. I was able to remove the browser, apps store, message app (no txt messages) and install siddur and other apps. I did it myself. It is very locked down. It has camera. Only issue is I broke Waze and wasn’t interested in spending the time to fix it.

My son has it with no txt or browser or ability to add apps. It seems really rugged. He is tough on his phone.

I wouldn’t buy it again bec tag doesn’t recommend it and many schools in New York and New Jersey are against that specific phone.

To the above poster tag did already assur it and took out ads about it. But I heard New York schools that don’t use tag also don’t allow it. That is why I wouldn’t buy it again bec of the reputation

watergirl  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 10:29 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
It isn’t recommended bec it comes with browser, touch screen like any smart phone.

Gen tech can filter it and put on apps.

If you are tech savvy you can filter yourself. I was able to remove the browser, apps store, message app (no txt messages) and install siddur and other apps. I did it myself. It is very locked down. It has camera. Only issue is I broke Waze and wasn’t interested in spending the time to fix it.

My son has it with no txt or browser or ability to add apps. It seems really rugged. He is tough on his phone.

I wouldn’t buy it again bec tag doesn’t recommend it and many schools in New York and New Jersey are against that specific phone.

To the above poster tag did already assur it and took out ads about it. But I heard New York schools that don’t use tag also don’t allow it. That is why I wouldn’t buy it again bec of the reputation

My son's has no browser. It's literally not on the phone. We had to update the phone so 24Six would work and we could not even do the update ourselves, we had to send it back to have them do it - that's how tightly it's locked.

I don't see why a touch screen would be an issue at all. What on earth is wrong with a touch screen? It makes texting easier. So?

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
My son's has no browser. It's literally not on the phone. We had to update the phone so 24Six would work and we could not even do the update ourselves, we had to send it back to have them do it - that's how tightly it's locked.

I don't see why a touch screen would be an issue at all. What on earth is wrong with a touch screen? It makes texting easier. So?

It’s also on my son’s yeahiva approved list I’m switching from one dumb phone to another. The one he had this year the phone didn’t even last the year and now has a white screen so. O texting.

Is your son(and you) still happy with the phone?

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:46 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
It’s also on my son’s yeahiva approved list I’m switching from one dumb phone to another. The one he had this year the phone didn’t even last the year and now has a white screen so. O texting.

Is your son(and you) still happy with the phone?

Very happy. The main thing for me is he can drop it etc. He had one of the other brands before and it fell from his bed to the carpeted floor and was unusable after that one drop.

amother
Nectarine

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 7:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I want to give up my smartphone. It’s a big deal for me . I’m sitting on the idea for years but haven’t because I need to know that if I do it I won’t regret it.
I have an iPhone now .
I need a phone that
- makes it easy to text ( I do a lot of that, I have a very busy personal - family not friend - and business life ) I text with voice texting or on screen keyboard. I need a phone that can do both of those, no t9 etc

- has Waze
- will not break if dropped . I’m not hearing such good things about some of these phones
- works well

As I wrote earlier it’s a big step. I can only take it if I won’t feel regret and I’m trying to do this right. I don’t want to filters. Smartphone. I will be using my smartphone for work etc only on WiFi with no calling texting etc so I can leave it in my room and have a sep phone that’s with me all the time

Please help me out

I've had the quin and the cat both almost impossible to text with the onscreen keyboard it's tiny the cat keyboard is worse than the quin though. When someone texts me I would much rather call them to talk than to bother texting its a real pain but calling doesn't solve the issue cuz they're both touch screen and mutes itself or hangs up when I get hold it to my ear
The cat is also super heavy and has sharp edges that juts into my ear when I talk on it
If you don't want a filtered smartphone remember that these 3 phones are essentially smartphones so it's literally the same thing as having a filtered smartphone just with the inconvenience of a small phone etc.
You can get a separate smartphone that has only talk and text

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:52 am
Does anyone know which of these phones skver cheider (bp- 43rd st) accepts for the parents?

Tanya1234

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 1:00 am
I got the pom a few days ago. So far so good. It doesn’t have waze though

Molly Weasley  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 2:16 am
You can get the cat, kosher from bsd phones in lakewood. They have a custom version of it, and sell it to you with the kosher apps on and brosher etc removed.
I haven't personally used their phones, but I did get in touch with them once, and they were very friendly.

https://bsdphones.com/

Molly Weasley  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 2:18 am
amother Honey wrote:
Perry Sapperstein in Baltimore does and he is wonderful if you want to reach out to him. His phones are Yeshiva approved (we don't need Tag approved phones here, each school has their own standards). I'm not comfortable posting his info on here but I can send it to you another way if you want. He will not put whatsapp on a phone at all and says Tag is soon going to "assur" it.

You can actually send him a phone and he'll kasher it for you for a fee. His info is available online. Kphone613

Molly Weasley  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:48 am
amother Lavender wrote:
Just know that the CAT cannot be filtered.

There's some confusion over this so let me explain. You can either buy the phone with certain aspects of the operating system removed, or you can get it filtered. The filter doesn't work well with the phone because it the os is Android Go, it's not a full Android.

So it technically could be filtered but it also affects the stability of the phone. For example, the Bluetooth may not work. Or some of the apps may randomly close due to memory (ram) loss.

Molly Weasley

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:58 am
Don't mind me
I just feel obligated to share all the knowledge of my many months' worth of research.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 10:19 am
Which of these phones could have 24/6

My phone used as a 3 in 1 I don't need a browser but I need

Pictures -sharp camera
Music -I pay for zing
Talk-clear phone
Banking-$
Connection.-whats app used for grandparents only

Which phone works the most for these.
Assuming what app is a no-no?

newinbp

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:34 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Which of these phones could have 24/6

My phone used as a 3 in 1 I don't need a browser but I need

Pictures -sharp camera
Music -I pay for zing
Talk-clear phone
Banking-$
Connection.-whats app used for grandparents only

Which phone works the most for these.
Assuming what app is a no-no?

I don’t know of any kosher phone with whatsapp, banking, or a sharp camera. You would probably need to have a kosher phone and an iPad, or a kosher phone and another device or something.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics