Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How are russet potatoes for potato kugel?

NotFunny  

Post Sat, Aug 24 2024, 10:52 pm
Bought a 10 lb bag with Walmart delivery and there was a rotten potato in the bag. I washed all the others, but still smells bad and want to use them asap…
Was thinking to make potato kugel and freeze for y’t.
Have to go find pkl’s recipe/method on freezing Wink

So how is the taste? And any good recipe?
I usually do a recipe that calls for 10 large potatoes- but these are big, small, huge and tiny…

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 24 2024, 10:54 pm
I love Russets for potato kugel. Weigh them and use (almost) 5 lbs in each kugel (make 2 9x13 pans).

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36425

amother
Offwhite  

Post Sat, Aug 24 2024, 11:05 pm
NotFunny wrote:
Bought a 10 lb bag with Walmart delivery and there was a rotten potato in the bag. I washed all the others, but still smells bad and want to use them asap…
Was thinking to make potato kugel and freeze for y’t.
Have to go find pkl’s recipe/method on freezing Wink

So how is the taste? And any good recipe?
I usually do a recipe that calls for 10 large potatoes- but these are big, small, huge and tiny…

Peel them. The smell should be gone. If not, I would discard them.
You can make the potato kugel as usual and freeze it. When you want to use the kugel, remove from freezer and add about a cup of water on top. Cover and bake on low for a few hours. You will get Overnight kugel. You can also put it into the cholent before Shabbos.

Another way to do it is to freeze the batter raw. Make the kugel as usual, cover well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and freeze immediately.
When you want to use it, remove the coverings, spray with spray oil, bake on 500 for about 45 minutes, and then lower to 400. Don't make the kugel too high, as it increases the likelihood of a raw gray kugel. But this should result in a kugel that tastes (more or less) fresh.
Hatzalacha.
PKL

NotFunny  

Post Sat, Aug 24 2024, 11:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I love Russets for potato kugel. Weigh them and use (almost) 5 lbs in each kugel (make 2 9x13 pans).

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36425

Thanks ra_mom!
Reposting your recipe here- but I have some questions based on how I usually make my kugel-
Quote:

This one is perfect and comes out like that, compared to Esti's recipe. It has 3 extra eggs, and extra half cup of boiling water, and 1 tsp more salt. It is bake for 2 hours at 350 instead of 450.

This is so good, kind of fluffy and gooey at the same time.

Potato Kugel

5 lb Idaho or Russet potatoes, peeled
1 onion (optional)
8 large eggs
3/4 cup oil (equivalent to 7 oz plastic cup-full)
1/2 cup boiling water
4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Peel potatoes and drop into large bowl of cold water, making sure that potatoes are submerged.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease then line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper (so you get full slices of potato kugel, without yummy crust being left behind/stuck to the pan).
Mix the eggs and oil in a large bowl. Set aside.
Process the onion. Grate the potatoes with the kugel blade. Pour grated potatoes/onion into the eggs & oil bowl. Add salt and pepper and mix. Add boiling water and mix.
Place the lined 9x13 inch pan into the sink (to catch splatters). Carefully pour in the potato kugel batter.
Place pan in oven and bake for 2 hours, uncovered.

So I do :
10 large potatoes
10 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup seltzer
Salt, pepper

So question-
How does seltzer compare to hot water? I saw you wrote on that thread the hot water is for fluffiness? Which I think seltzer too?
And regarding eggs- do you do large or extra large?

And curious when you do 5 lb potatoes if you do large, how many are they? Wondering What the equivalent is to my usual recipe…

Eta another question-
I usually bake it on 500 for an hour and then lower it. Does it get more gooey on a lower temperature?

Last edited by NotFunny on Sat, Aug 24 2024, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

NotFunny  

Post Sat, Aug 24 2024, 11:16 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
Peel them. The smell should be gone. If not, I would discard them.
You can make the potato kugel as usual and freeze it. When you want to use the kugel, remove from freezer and add about a cup of water on top. Cover and bake on low for a few hours. You will get Overnight kugel. You can also put it into the cholent before Shabbos.

Another way to do it is to freeze the batter raw. Make the kugel as usual, cover well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and freeze immediately.
When you want to use it, remove the coverings, spray with spray oil, bake on 500 for about 45 minutes, and then lower to 400. Don't make the kugel too high, as it increases the likelihood of a raw gray kugel. But this should result in a kugel that tastes (more or less) fresh.
Hatzalacha.
PKL

Thank you PKL Smile
Assuming you don’t defrost before baking?
Doesn’t the mixture separate before getting fully frozen?

amother
  Offwhite  

Post Sat, Aug 24 2024, 11:31 pm
NotFunny wrote:
Thank you PKL Smile
Assuming you don’t defrost before baking?
Doesn’t the mixture separate before getting fully frozen?

Don't defrost before baking, but make sure the oven is preheated. The mixture should not separate. (But I will tell you that I did occasionally have flops, where the bottom stayed gray. Maybe I didn’t freeze it fast enough, or maybe the oven wasn't hot enough. But most of the time, it comes out great, and tastes as if I made it fresh.)

I got this method from Nechama Cohen's "Enlightened Kosher Cooking."
She recommends that the kugel should be sprayed occasionally with oil while baking.
And, you're welcome:)

NotFunny

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:10 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
Don't defrost before baking, but make sure the oven is preheated. The mixture should not separate. (But I will tell you that I did occasionally have flops, where the bottom stayed gray. Maybe I didn’t freeze it fast enough, or maybe the oven wasn't hot enough. But most of the time, it comes out great, and tastes as if I made it fresh.)

I got this method from Nechama Cohen's "Enlightened Kosher Cooking."
She recommends that the kugel should be sprayed occasionally with oil while baking.
And, you're welcome:)

Thanks for instructions!

Do you use large or extra large eggs?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:18 pm
I've tried freezing batter in pan immediately and baking still frozen. Was gross.

amother
  Offwhite  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 5:42 pm
NotFunny wrote:
Thanks for instructions!

Do you use large or extra large eggs?

Usually large.
But I use 8 eggs for a 5 lb bag.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:23 pm
I freeze it cooked and then just stick it frozen , covered in a 400 degree oven and it always comes out perfect and fresh

amother
Honeydew  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:35 pm
Whats the PKL recipe for potato kugel recipe? Making potato kugel for first time and want to compare it to Ra_mom recipe

Also, can someone link what the kugel blade is? And which blade do most people use for potato kugel?

If this is too off topic, I can start a spinoff

amother
  Offwhite  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:42 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
Whats the PKL recipe for potato kugel recipe? Making potato kugel for first time and want to compare it to Ra_mom recipe

Also, can someone link what the kugel blade is? And which blade do most people use for potato kugel?

This is a link to the kugel blade:
Braun food processor Grating insert, kugel blade https://a.co/d/hTwXIsG

amother
  Offwhite  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:45 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:

I think our recipes are similar.
I add a half onion as well.
1 T of salt
I use 1 cup of seltzer in place of hot water.

Eta. I just realized I was comparing it to the above poster and not to Ra mom's.
My recipe is the same as Ra mom except she uses a bit more onion than I do, and I use seltzer. And I bake it at 500, while she bakes it at 350.

Ultimately, you need to try it different ways and see which you like best, but chances are they are so similar that it's hard to taste the difference.

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 6:47 pm
If you’re used to a different potato, it comes out tasting diff/ not as good.

amother
  Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 7:00 pm
Thank you!!!

amother
  Offwhite

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 7:06 pm
NotFunny wrote:
So I do :
10 large potatoes
10 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup seltzer
Salt, pepper

So question-
How does seltzer compare to hot water? I saw you wrote on that thread the hot water is for fluffiness? Which I think seltzer too?
And regarding eggs- do you do large or extra large?

And curious when you do 5 lb potatoes if you do large, how many are they? Wondering What the equivalent is to my usual recipe…

Eta another question-
I usually bake it on 500 for an hour and then lower it. Does it get more gooey on a lower temperature?

The longer you bake it, the more it solidifies, and becomes less gooey. When you take it out of the oven on Friday, the texture will be much gooier than when you rewarm it on Sunday. I don't think it has much to do with how high you bake it. I like to do it on 500 because it forms a nice crust and it goes faster. Also, I think it prevents the batter from going gray.

I should add that you want to make sure you get fresh potatoes. When the potatoes are a bit older, they don't make such a great kugel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics