Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
She’s wreaking havoc! Neuropsych in Lakewood for eval, desp!

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:19 pm
DD is 11. Has a whole cocktail of diagnoses, including ADD and OCD and anxiety. Recently developed tics and we are waiting for bloodwork results. Tantrums through the nights like a three year old. It’s like she’s a split person. Great with her peers and friends, a nightmare at home. No one is sleeping. The nights are the worst, any little thing sets her off and then forget about it, the whole house is up. And it’s not even her fault. She really can’t help it. She’s desperately crying out for help. I can not afford to pay privately. I spoke to chemed today and they have an eight MONTH waiting list and are not even doing neuropsych evals anymore. We are desperate. So desperate. I cry myself to sleep every night. How can I get my child the help she needs if I don’t have two extra cents to rub together?? Someone give me an idea!!

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:27 pm
Tics + recently developed + split personality + worse at home...

As a pandas parent that's what I see. And I'd absolutely tell you to give motrin around the clock for a week and see if things improve. Yes yes. I'm an anonymous lady on the internet dispensing medical advice. But it works so...

amother
Celeste  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:48 pm
amother White wrote:
Tics + recently developed + split personality + worse at home...

As a pandas parent that's what I see. And I'd absolutely tell you to give motrin around the clock for a week and see if things improve. Yes yes. I'm an anonymous lady on the internet dispensing medical advice. But it works so...
I'll be the second anonymous lady on the internet. This sounds like classic pandas.

Dye free motrin, Claritin and robitussin around the clock for 3 days. You should see major improvement, and you'll know it's inflammation.

Then you can tackle the infections.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:56 pm
I’ll be the third one to say this is totally a pandas child , I am so sorry you’re going through this, for us I didn’t feel like a neuropsychologist helped much but I know ur doing your hishtadlus. Find a doctor to treat the pandas. If it’s strep let a doc treat it see if there’s a change on antibiotics ….. could be other underlying infections such as Lyme or mycoplasma or other things. Hatzlacha in finding the right shaliach. I really really understand what you’re going through. My 10 year old wreaks havoc on our home and whole family and no one would believe what goes on at home, I cry from him so much , any little set off and forget it..

amother
  Celeste  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 7:01 pm
I just saw you said you're waiting for blood work results. I'm not sure what you tested for but don't let any doctor convince you she "tested negative" for pandas. Pandas is diagnosed based on symptoms, not based on bloodtests or antibody levels.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 7:05 pm
Sounds like Pandas, try what everyone here is saying and see if Doc can give you antibiotics for a week to see. If it is Pandas you will see immediate relief.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 7:06 pm
Naomi Indich is a nurse practitioner in Fairlawn who specializes in PANDAS

Please treat this

Just One  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 7:11 pm
I'm in the medical field and usually roll my eyes at the very liberally dispensed PANDAS advice offered on this site. However, in this case her symptoms sound like classic PANDAS (or related inflammatory disorders).
Your best bet is Dr Delaney in Columbia. She is a brilliant neuropsychiatrist with a special focus on Lyme, PANDAS, pans. Accepts most major insurances last I heard.

Just One

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 7:15 pm
I think trying an NSAID like motrin while waiting for an appointment is a good idea. However, I wouldn't start antibiotics without an expert prescribing and developing the treatment plan. PANDAS isn't a one and done treatment and you need to be able to do accurate testing with a doctor who will believe you and knows the condition.

amother
Arcticblue  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 7:18 pm
It looks like the tics presented just recently but the behaviors have been going on for a while? Anxiety medication and adhd medication can cause tics.

Dr Kornitzers Hazlet office just got a new doctor. I would try them, hopefully they have an opening.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:02 pm
Thank you all! She’s been on ADD meds for years, no recent changes in anything there…. OCD we began noticing about a year ago…. Tics just started now. She could be the sweetest, most docile and helpful child but if something sets her off, forget about it. She’s also very immature for her age and is extremely possessive over her things. OCD comes out in that way and also with mysophonia. Still classic pandas?

amother
  Arcticblue  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all! She’s been on ADD meds for years, no recent changes in anything there…. OCD we began noticing about a year ago…. Tics just started now. She could be the sweetest, most docile and helpful child but if something sets her off, forget about it. She’s also very immature for her age and is extremely possessive over her things. OCD comes out in that way and also with mysophonia. Still classic pandas?
My DD has ADD and was recently diagnosed with ASD. She didn’t present exactly the way you describe your daughter but a lot of what you’re saying sounds familiar. I don’t know anything about pandas at all and my dds tics were med related but maybe?

Regardless I would encourage you to try to get into Kornitzers practice. I had to wait a year for my appointment but hopefully the new doctor makes it a sooner wait.

amother
  Arcticblue

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:29 pm
Btw a few years ago I called chemed about neuro and they had the doctor/nurse practitioner (can’t remember which he was) call and speak with me on the phone for a few min. Just to discuss my concerns and if he thought his department was the right fit. Did chemed offer you anything like that?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 11:45 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Btw a few years ago I called chemed about neuro and they had the doctor/nurse practitioner (can’t remember which he was) call and speak with me on the phone for a few min. Just to discuss my concerns and if he thought his department was the right fit. Did chemed offer you anything like that?

No…

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 1:41 am
amother OP wrote:

Has she always been like this? Sounds like it might be ASD

amother
  Celeste

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 3:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes absolutely

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 4:06 am
Has she been in therapy? You cant just treat these things with medication she needs therapy. Try calling relief for a referral
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)