Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this my responsibility or agency director?

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:21 pm
I am a psychotherapist, I work at an agency.

A few weeks ago we had a client who I did an intake for who was not an appropriate fit (substance use) and after they reviewed the intake they told me to call her back and tell her. She was very upset and I got the brunt of it.

Now, I have a client who I saw maybe 3 times and she stopped coming but she is still going to see the psychiatrist, our policy is if you aren’t seeing a therapist you can’t see the psych. They want me to call her and tell her this. (She was never informed about it from the beginning). Should this be my responsibility to call because I am her therapist or more of an agency responsibility?

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:43 pm
I would say for the first one , it would be appropriate for you to make the call since you did the intake.
For the second one , you should not make the call especially since you are her therapist. It could impact the therapeutic relationship. Additionally, if she was never told of the policy, it’s not your job. It’s front desk’s.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I would say for the first one , it would be appropriate for you to make the call since you did the intake.
For the second one , you should not make the call especially since you are her therapist. It could impact the therapeutic relationship. Additionally, if she was never told of the policy, it’s not your job. It’s front desk’s.

Thank you. My agency is not seeing it this way and they say I need to call this client. One of the reasons I left private and went to agency was to not have to have the responsibility of these things on my shoulders

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:03 pm
You didn't have to do either of these.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:17 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
You didn't have to do either of these.

So how do I let them know that. I tried to say (about the second case), it’s not my responsibility and my supervisor said, oh but it is.

I am trying to be assertive with my boundaries but also want to keep my job obviously

amother
Brunette  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
So how do I let them know that. I tried to say (about the second case), it’s not my responsibility and my supervisor said, oh but it is.

I am trying to be assertive with my boundaries but also want to keep my job obviously

Since it's your supervisor, I would do it now. And then immediately thereafter schedule a meeting to discuss and clearly delineate your job responsibilities.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:29 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Since it's your supervisor, I would do it now. And then immediately thereafter schedule a meeting to discuss and clearly delineate your job responsibilities.

Do what? And to them it’s very clear that this is my job.

amother
  Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 9:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do what? And to them it’s very clear that this is my job.

Call the client that they want you to call.

The meeting would be for you to bring up your concerns - why you feel that these task don't fall under the scope of your role. You should come prepared with your talking points, and be prepared to calmly negotiate.

But if your supervisor is not going to be reasonable, I'm not sure if you have many options.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics