Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What kind of community is Waterbury?

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 6:53 pm
Is it very yeshivish? A mix? Into fashions? What would be the equivalent of schools in Lakewood and Brooklyn that are like the Waterbury primary and BY?

notshanarishona  

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 6:56 pm
Not very yeshivish, very out of towny, a lot of people are connected to the yeshiva which is a very out of the box yeshiva for struggling buchrim

amother
Darkblue  

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 7:07 pm
The assessment above is NOT accurate for the past few years. It is a much bigger mix than it was in the past and there are a fair amount of "yeshivish" ( which obviously varies by how you define it)people. There are also many people not associated with the yeshiva at all and the mesivta itself moved out of the community, only the beis medrash is still within part of the community.

It is a growing and growth oriented community. As in any growing community there is a wide variety and some more into clothes and materialism than others. I wouldn't classify it as "very" out of towny either but you do need to be willing to manage with less intown conveniences but it isnt that far from monsey and other parts of ny

amother
Honey

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 7:12 pm
I can only speak about blue ridge- I find a lot of the younger couples are Lakewood/Passaic vibe. Not yeshivish, JPF but down to earth. Everyone is super friendly, nice, welcoming and it’s a very warm community that has a family vibe to it

There is a nice more BY type school and a yeshiva katana, and then obviously the Waterbury Yeshiva which is for out of the box teens who had previously struggled or struggled to fit in, but doesn’t have much to do with the community as most of the kids are from other towns

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 7:13 pm
Just bought food in Waterbury
Everything delicious

amother
Brickred

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 7:14 pm
FYI the warerbury bais medrash is very different then the mesivta. alot that learned in the bais medrash stayed after getting married. It's much frummer then the mesivta.

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
The assessment above is NOT accurate for the past few years. It is a much bigger mix than it was in the past and there are a fair amount of "yeshivish" ( which obviously varies by how you define it)people. There are also many people not associated with the yeshiva at all and the mesivta itself moved out of the community, only the beis medrash is still within part of the community.

It is a growing and growth oriented community. As in any growing community there is a wide variety and some more into clothes and materialism than others. I wouldn't classify it as "very" out of towny either but you do need to be willing to manage with less intown conveniences but it isnt that far from monsey and other parts of ny

So it's not yeshivish but yeshivish ppl are moving in? Is it more jpf? Any modox? Where do boys go after 8th grade?

amother
  Darkblue

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 9:00 pm
there is a decent sized ( for out of town) kollel -maybe 10ish families? with young yeshivish families plus there are rebbeim who are older and yeshivish plus other families that identify as yeshivish. there are also JPF but not too many modox because there is only one elementary school so ppl wouldnt move in if they dont fit in there. there is a small local mesivta that started last year, and there is naugatuck which is more academic and somewhat more yeshivish. A fair amount of boys still go out of town if they need something more yeshivish or different than what is close by...
if you want an area that leans more yeshivish then you want "old waterbury" or avalon but not blue ridge. naugatuck could also work but its really tiny

amother
Dill

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
So it's not yeshivish but yeshivish ppl are moving in? Is it more jpf? Any modox? Where do boys go after 8th grade?

It's a mix of yeshivish and jpf. One school so has a nice range of kids
Looking to move? Any specific questions? There are a few threads here ..
It's a nice place.
Come visit and check it out .

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Aug 17 2024, 11:23 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Not very yeshivish, very out of towny, a lot of people are connected to the yeshiva which is a very out of the box yeshiva for struggling buchrim

curious what your connection is to Waterbury because this is really not accurate--it's not very out of towny at all, and never was even when it was tiny

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 4:26 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
curious what your connection is to Waterbury because this is really not accurate--it's not very out of towny at all, and never was even when it was tiny

I will be vague considering that I am the only one using my username here but I went a few times and visited relatives in the yeshiva and have other friends who live there. I never lived there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating