Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbos Nachmi. Why Nachmi? Moshiach isn't here....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:39 pm
Why is shabbos Nachmi called nachmi? How is it comfort if what we mourned for is still status quo? Meaning Moshiach isn't here why are we celebrating?

First Lady

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:08 am
K, I thought this thread was about Nachamu versus Nachmi. LOL
I'm Chassidish with the Litvish Havara so I'm familiar with both pronunciations lol.

I'm sure there are many reasons. But it's called Shabbos Nachamu because we read the portion in the Torah of Nachamu Nachamu Ami....... where Hashem tells us to take Nechama in his promise to redeem us.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:10 am
huh? it’s called Nachamu. Not Nachami

Elfrida

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:18 am
Nachmu from the haftara, beginning Nachamu, nachamu ami.

Same as last week was Shabbat Chazon from the haftara Chazon Yeshayahu.

And back in the winter we had Shabat Para, and in couple of months we'll ha e Shabbat Shuva, and so on. Normally the haftara us kinked to a theme in tbe parsha, but sometimes its linked to a calandar event. In those cases, that Shabbat often becomes known by the name if the haftara.

In terms of comfort, while mashiach still hasn't come, we aren't living with the agony of the process of churban in tbe way that we were over the previous Nine Days. We're not celebrating, but we are moving on, and looking towards the future. We can be aware of consolation again. This week's haftara is only the first of seven weeks of haftarot focusing on consolation and comfort and future redemption - taking us into Elul and the Yamim Nora'im.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:29 am
These are the words of the haftora that is always lained the shabbos after Tisha B’Av.

נחמו נחמו עמי / ישעיהו מ, א-ב

נַחֲמוּ נַחֲמוּ עַמִּי יֹאמַר אֱלֹהֵיכֶם
דַּבְּרוּ עַל לֵב יְרוּשָׁלִַם וְקִרְאוּ אֵלֶיהָ
כִּי מָלְאָה צְבָאָהּ כִּי נִרְצָה עֲוֹנָהּ
כִּי לָקְחָה מִיַּד ה' כִּפְלַיִם בְּכָל חַטֹּאתֶיהָ

Hashem is saying - be comforted, my nation…

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 1:40 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
huh? it’s called Nachamu. Not Nachami

Nachami is chassidish havara. Shuruk is ee.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 7:06 am
Oooh, thanks, OP! I was just going to start a thread.

I googled "meaning of Shabbos nachamu" and found this: https://tjpnews.com/the-meanin.....hamu/
Also, I just started listening to this https://torahanytime.com/lectures/316733.

And this thread is amother-enabled so please feel free to share not just links but thoughts.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 8:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Why is shabbos Nachmi called nachmi? How is it comfort if what we mourned for is still status quo? Meaning Moshiach isn't here why are we celebrating?

Because life goes on and we're supposed to survive and thrive and live good lives and grow in our connection to Hashem, even in galus, while having hope in the ultimate geula.

We're not meant to live Tisha b'av all year.

The rest of the year we remember yerushalyim, "al rosh simchasi" but we are supposed to have simcha and feel Hashem's love.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note