Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it really bad if I bought baby suede loafers as 1st pair
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Amaranthus  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sigh. Ok I will give them a week or two and after that I'll have to buy a proper pair.

Keep them for shabbos. I get these for my baby (in a mom and pop shop that fits him) but you can order on Amazon also

https://www.amazon.com/See-Kai.....ss_tl

amother
Orange  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:55 pm
Not worth it
First walkers need to be soft and flexible but also have enough support up to the ankle which is why many first walker shoes go higher up the foot with laces or Velcro.
You can really mess up their feet and back if you don’t buy good shoes
We didn’t have $$ growing up but my mother always took us to be fitted and never bought from Walmart,etc.

amother
Amethyst  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I went to a shoe sale and the baby shoes were about 40 a pair so instead of going to a very experienced fitter in a proper store where I would pay probably 100 if not more I just bought a pair of suede loafers for him. Is it really terrible? Should I go out and buy a proper pair of leather laceups?

Mazel Tov on your new walker. Loafers aren’t for early walkers. That’s really not good for baby. I would take him to get fitted, especially for a first shoe. Hatzlocha

amother
  Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:57 pm
[quote="amother OP"]Sigh. Ok I will give them a week or two and after that I'll have to buy a proper pair.[/quote
I wouldn’t wait a week or two. Loafers aren’t for babies. It’s not something he should be wearing to walk in , maybe for a photo op and that’s it.

pnimi

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:13 pm
How old is he? Keep them barefoot as much as possible. No socks even better

amother
  Jade

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:19 pm
Take a deep breath, I doubt it’s that intense. As I said before and others agree, modern research and most professionals will tell you that a soft, flexible soled shoe is better. But clearly there is a nice contingent who feels otherwise and their kids are probably fine.
If the loafer is well fitted enough that it doesn’t fall off, is a soft material, and has a flexible sole I don’t see why it’s all that different from one of those baby mocs that are often recommended.
I’m not sure there is any truth to the claim that babies are in desperate need of ankle support.

amother
Waterlily  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:22 pm
why do you think you’d spend $100 or more getting properly fitted? I live in the city and even at Harry’s and Tip Top who specialize in fitting I paid a lot less.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:25 am
I read from a podiatrist:

Good quality shoes help kids walk well,
The same way a good hat helps you think well.

It’s all a myth.

What do you think Americans who don’t live near posh frum stores with “expert fitters” do for their kids shoes? Do frum kids walk better than the inner city kids?

Shoe stores are making a fortune convincing you of this.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:25 am
amother Ballota wrote:

It’s all a myth.

What do you think Americans who don’t live near posh frum stores with “expert fitters” do for their kids shoes? Do frum kids walk better than the inner city kids?

Something like this. I'm in Israel and hadn't even heard of this. When my kids were little and starting to walk, I just bought random cheap shoes in a tiny size. At least in one case second hand. They all learned to walk alright and have no foot problems now. From then until now, they are mostly barefoot inside the house. (In our DL community the majority of people wear sandals, men and women, so a naked foot at home causes no tznius shock either).

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 3:50 am
amother Sand wrote:
Loafers are not for new walkers. He needs more support than that.

First walker shoes in Europe are soft leather shoes with zero support.

gold2

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 5:18 am
Can I use sandals as my baby's first shoes? I have them in really good condition from my older kid so I want to use them if possible

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 5:27 am
gold2 wrote:
Can I use sandals as my baby's first shoes? I have them in really good condition from my older kid so I want to use them if possible

Depends what kind of sandals. I prefer closed front so their feet slide less. And they should have soft soles and a strap

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 1:46 pm
My kids wore striderite as first walkers

First walkers should not be loafers because you want them to really be on, like tie, Velcro, or buckle

I like Velcro because it’s easy for me but it’s also easy for kids to take off

The shoes should have very bendable soles

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:07 pm
It’s most definitely a myth - or a marketing lie.
Many kids walk best barefoot. Oh my! How are their ankles getting the crucial support?

What I look for when buying shoes for toddlers.

-should stay on (child shouldn’t have to work to hold it on, as often happens with loafers)
-Shouldn’t be too stiff or uncomfortable
-should be the right size
-shouldn’t chafe
-and yes, should be cute, because why not?

Ps my kids walk great in native shoes. Non support, no high top, no fancy materials. It just works for them!

amother
  Orange

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:14 pm
You don’t need to get expensive European shoes
Look online for falcotto or naturino first walkers I’m sure you can find on sale
Those are the recommended shoes for first walkers at the shoe store I shop in

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:31 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

It’s all a myth.

I agree. The shoe that podiatrists and pediatricians ALL told me to get for first walkers was soft sole like Robeez.

RE: frum shoe fitters - YES! The poor rest of the world who doesn't have these shoe stores and has to settle with second best.

OP, you are fine.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:36 pm
watergirl wrote:
I agree. The shoe that podiatrists and pediatricians ALL told me to get for first walkers was soft sole like Robeez.

RE: frum shoe fitters - YES! The poor rest of the world who doesn't have these shoe stores and has to settle with second best.

OP, you are fine.
Yes, Robeez is good for babies because it’s soft and flexible. But I’m guessing the type of loafer OP bought is the rigid and narrow type that will force baby’s foot into unhealthy positions.

It’s not only the frum world that has fitters, for one of my kids I took them to a shoe store out of town and they fitted her into a stride rite shoe.

Regardless op doesn’t need a fitter. She does need to give her baby a soft wide shoe that won’t get in the way of healthy foot development.

amother
  Waterlily

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Orange wrote:
You don’t need to get expensive European shoes
Look online for falcotto or naturino first walkers I’m sure you can find on sale
Those are the recommended shoes for first walkers at the shoe store I shop in

falcotto and naturino are both european and expensive.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 3:00 pm
whether it's a myth or not why would you take a chance??

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 4:52 pm
Keep it for Shabbes and get him a different weekday shoe.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics