Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it really bad if I bought baby suede loafers as 1st pair
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:16 pm
I went to a shoe sale and the baby shoes were about 40 a pair so instead of going to a very experienced fitter in a proper store where I would pay probably 100 if not more I just bought a pair of suede loafers for him. Is it really terrible? Should I go out and buy a proper pair of leather laceups?

amother
Sand  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:22 pm
Loafers are not for new walkers. He needs more support than that.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:25 pm
I'm really hoping it's a myth that first pair has to be so supportive??

bsy  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:27 pm
It doesn't have to be supportive. They have to stay on. If you want cheap, the brand watelves on Amazon is working well for my toddler. Added benefit is they are barefoot shoes, meaning the toe box is wide. I will probably buy the next size when he outgrows these. Under 30 dollars.
The issue with loafers as I see it is that they often fall off or the foot slips out. When that happens, we tend to use our toes to grip the shoe and keep it on. That's not good, especially for little kids. I do not let my little kids wear loafers or slip ons that fall off

Last edited by bsy on Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
  Sand  

No it’s not a myth. You can mess up their feet if they don’t have the right support when they first start using their feet.

amother
Wheat

Would never buy loafers as a first shoe. They are not supportive enough.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:28 pm
So I guess I'll see if they fall off and take it from there? If I see they stay on properly then maybe I don't have to worry.

mochamix18

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm really hoping it's a myth that first pair has to be so supportive??

Nope not a myth. The babies feet are still solidifying and finding their balance and it affects their back and balance as well. There is more to having the shoe fitted then just that it seems like it fits.

amother
  Sand

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:30 pm
Has nothing to do with falling off. Has to do with him not having proper support for correct walking. It’s not worth it.

bsy  

WateLves Toddler Little Kid Wide Barefoot The First Walking Shoes Girls Boys Breathable Lightweight Splay Naturally Minimalist Sneakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D3.....ss_tl

These are the ones my toddler has (2nd pair already because he grew)

hodeez

Do yourself a favor and shop Walmart for the time being

bsy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:31 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Has nothing to do with falling off. Has to do with him not having proper support for correct walking. It’s not worth it.

Support is actually not important. Unless there are issues with tone etc. a regular walker needs less support to allow the foot to develop properly.

amother
Jade  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:31 pm
I think it’s a bit of a myth.
It really depends on the kid, not every kid needs super supportive. I’d put them on him and see how he does (bc you already own them). If he’s falling or tripping, move on.
For what it’s worth, I’ve heard very strong opinions from people on both sides of the issue. Some people really like the stiff, supportive lace ups, and some people the softer material, flexible sole. (And honestly from medical professionals I’ve only heard the latter).

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:33 pm
I wouldn't recommend at all a loafer as a first pair. Suede is good since it's usually soft. But definitely need the laces or straps to hold the feet in place.
Babies feet still form at that age. Loafers are great for shabbos or for pictures. they're not the greatest shoes for any age. If it's the right size then it's extremely hard to get onto the foot. And if your able to put it onto the foot when you buy it it ends up stretching and being a slipper.
(I worked at a shoe store)

amother
Amaranthus  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:33 pm
Their first shoes are the only time I pay a premium so they can get supportive shoes fit to their foot. After that it's Ali Express, Amazon, and Target for shoes. I would go and get the better shoes and have it fitted. Sorry. I know it's not what you wanted to hear.

Also, loafers are a poor choice. If they were sneakers I would say it's probably ok.

amother
  Amaranthus  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:35 pm
amother Jade wrote:
I think it’s a bit of a myth.
It really depends on the kid, not every kid needs super supportive. I’d put them on him and see how he does (bc you already own them). If he’s falling or tripping, move on.
For what it’s worth, I’ve heard very strong opinions from people on both sides of the issue. Some people really like the stiff, supportive lace ups, and some people the softer material, flexible sole. (And honestly from medical professionals I’ve only heard the latter).

The issue is the falling off, not the stiffness.

I buy very soft first walker shoes but they have a strap to keep them on.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:37 pm
Sigh. Ok I will give them a week or two and after that I'll have to buy a proper pair.

amother
Broom  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:37 pm
Nowadays it's considered most healthy for a baby to wear soft, flexible soled shoes. Or go barefoot when possible.
Not firm high-tops like they did a generation ago.
I like stride rite for young toddlers.

Also $40 doesn't sound very cheap for baby shoes.
Do a search on amazon"1st walker shoes".

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:39 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Nowadays it's considered most healthy for a baby to wear soft, flexible soled shoes. Or go barefoot when possible.
Not firm high-tops like they did a generation ago.
I like stride rite for young toddlers.

Also $40 doesn't sound very cheap for baby shoes.
Do a search on amazon"1st walker shoes".

Interesting there seem to be two opposite opinions on this. But everyone seems to agree that the loafers aren't good either way. Ok its not the first 40 dollars I flushed in my life. lol.

amother
  Broom

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:42 pm
Something like this is good for a new walker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075.....ss_tl
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics