Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADOS score

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:54 am
Can someone please explain it simply? Google has not been helpful. What do the scores mean? And what are the "levels"? Thanks.

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:52 pm
If you post the scores I can help with interpretation. I am a school psychologist.

amother
NeonPurple  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:15 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
If you post the scores I can help with interpretation. I am a school psychologist.

I'm not Op, but my son just was diagnosed with asd. He is 4 and his score was 11. He went through alot of testing. What can you tell me?

amother
Whitewash  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:23 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
I'm not Op, but my son just was diagnosed with asd. He is 4 and his score was 11. He went through alot of testing. What can you tell me?

At that age my son score was 10 and he was diagnosed with moderate symptoms ASD. The higher the number the more the symptoms I believe.

amother
  NeonPurple  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
At that age my son score was 10 and he was diagnosed with moderate symptoms ASD. The higher the number the more the symptoms I believe.

How old is he now? How is he doing?

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:43 pm
How old is he now? How is he doing?

He was diagnosed 3 years ago and bh has made amazing progress with aba services. Looking back to that time I can't even believe how dysfunctional my life was.

amother
  NeonPurple  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:51 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
He was diagnosed 3 years ago and bh has made amazing progress with aba services. Looking back to that time I can't even believe how dysfunctional my life was.

Can I ask you how aba "works"? I'm so new to this. I am working on setting up aba as well.
How was your life dysfunctionaly? (mine is too...)

amother
  Whitewash

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:01 pm
Can I ask you how aba "works"? I'm so new to this. I am working on setting up aba as well.
How was your life dysfunctionaly? (mine is too...)

It's such a confusing journey but iyh you will grow so much along with your child and see a lot of nachas from them.

I'm not an expert but I belive the premise of aba is targeting specific behaviors. My son is very black and white so rewards and consequences work very well on him. He does x, gets y. We started with small behaviors like chewing his yarmulka and now we are working on bigger things like being flexible and seeing another person's perspective.

My life at the time my son was diagnosed was basically a series of tantrums every day, I'm embarrassed to admit how many of them involved my son running our of my house completely naked. I didn't know how to deal with him and he didn't understand what I wanted from him but bh bh bh we are in a much better place now. Once I started to understand how his brain is wired it all makes sense now.

amother
Mimosa  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:09 pm
We’re going through the same but I didn’t get the ADOS test done yet. Where did you get it done?

amother
  NeonPurple  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
We’re going through the same but I didn’t get the ADOS test done yet. Where did you get it done?

I did a full evaluation for 2 kids (both with asd very obvious)
One I did through yeled vyalda- they did everything - speech , or, educational and all including autism testing due to siblings with autism…
My older one I took to a psychologist privately who did the whole work up.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 10:39 pm
For the older kids and teens test (there are three ADOS tests, for different ages), the cutoff is nine. Anything above nine qualifies for ASD and the higher the score, the lower the functioning.

amother
  Mimosa

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 6:21 am
amother Mimosa wrote:

I see a psychiatrist with my daughter, why can’t she do the ADOS test? Does it have to be done with a psychologist specifically?
And anyone you’d recommend in/around Monsey?

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 6:48 am
Hi, I didn't see any of the previous answers. My 8 year old got a score of 14. I know that means yes autism. But it doesn't really compute with everything. He's extremely verbal, advanced, etc. He doesn't really tantrum or meltdown (he'll just ask to be alone for a bit). He is a bit head in the clouds and not very social. I really thought he'd be more borderline. Maybe 14 is still relatively low? I have no idea.

miami85

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 6:54 am
I'm also a school psychologist and one word of caution is that even with the ADOS-2 "a score is just a number"

It is supposed to be the "most objective" test for Autism, but I've seen the scores go both ways--kid with ADHD get an ASD score and a kid who got a 4 still get an ASD eligibility for special education.

A lot of it depends on the age and language ability of the kid and today's kids don't necessarily have the same level of language and play interactions that kids used to.

I find that the ADOS-2 does not really tap into the classic elements of ASD--like "theory of mind" deficits and "empathy" as much as it focuses on "strange" and "repetitive movements"--which can also be present in ADHD.

Especially as kids get older and the focus becomes more language and relationships but not all 11 year olds are really able to talk about relationships and future plans nowadays.

I hope they redevelop the ADOS soon to reflect current behaviors and socialization skills.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 7:48 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
I see a psychiatrist with my daughter, why can’t she do the ADOS test? Does it have to be done with a psychologist specifically?

Only a select few give the test. We had to search to find someone who does it.

amother
  NeonPurple

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 8:25 am
amother Black wrote:
Only a select few give the test. We had to search to find someone who does it.

What do they do instead?

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 8:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I didn't see any of the previous answers. My 8 year old got a score of 14. I know that means yes autism. But it doesn't really compute with everything. He's extremely verbal, advanced, etc. He doesn't really tantrum or meltdown (he'll just ask to be alone for a bit). He is a bit head in the clouds and not very social. I really thought he'd be more borderline. Maybe 14 is still relatively low? I have no idea.

A higher score indicates more ASD symptoms but doesn’t account for intelligence. A child can have lesser autism like symptoms but have lower intelligence and be overall lower functioning than a child who has more autism like symptoms but higher intelligence. Does that make sense?

Pomelo

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 2:41 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:

Psychiatrist can make a clinical diagnosis of autism but most don't know how to administer the ADOS (very structured test). Your psychiatrist may be able to recommend someone who can, or let you know if she thinks it would be helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)