Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Nephew Threatens to Bite My Kids
Previous  1  2

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 12:00 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
As a mother with a child with behavior issues, this is unacceptable.

#1 My child is older than 4 but even then I woud not allow him to play unsupervised for more than very short periods of time.

#2 I understand why she feels other kids are not being nice to hers, but it takes 2.
Call me a helicopter parent but if something happens I'm right there.. and if he isnt playing nicely or appropriately o can help him with his social skills and redirect.

#3 I didn't realize right away your not in the same living space. If your not, he should not be in your living space.
At all.
Anything out of bounds, say we don't act that way in our house, you need to leave now. Don't invite him back.
Minimize the time you spend together.

Your sister needs to take responsibility.

You can commiserate how hard it is to have a behavioral child, but she needs to take responsibility.

I don't pretend to have control of my child, I acknowledge its difficult and I dont feel like theres much I can do, but I wouldn't sit back while he hurts another child.

Hard to explain the living space. But basically, we have a main eating area that is shared and a living area there with most of the toys.

We are sleeping in a separate area that has a separate TV and a door that locks. This morning, nephew came into our door and then started to threaten the kids.

I can greatly commiserate about behavioral children. I have a few myself too. It has been lots of prayers, a lot of therapies and a lot of learning on my part.

The biting element is just hard for me to understand because for my kids, that has always been a hard no. Nothing to talk about. You bite, you get a big consequence. It's off limits.

Anyway, happier update was that I managed to get all the kids involved in a puzzle. I had a feeling puzzles would be good for my nephew. I do think it helped create some bonds and less hostile feelings. I think this is the goal. Try to get them to play nicely. We shall see over Shabbos.

And if he threatens my kids I will tell them to go where we are sleeping and lock the door... But here I am hoping it won't be necessary.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children