Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Feeling the tragedy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 7:49 pm
Is there anything like a historical fiction movie or video about a story during the churban? Does such a. Thing exist? Or a book? I want to feel what it was like to be there and humanize it rather than just be sad from watching holocaust video

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:07 pm
I think the Chofetz Chaim Heritage foundation might have.. I’m not sure, but you can ask..

bakingmom

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:10 pm
I found the book 'Chains' by Leah Gebber really brought home the churban to me. It's historical fiction, but it made me feel what 1 person living through that time felt like.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there anything like a historical fiction movie or video about a story during the churban? Does such a. Thing exist? Or a book? I want to feel what it was like to be there and humanize it rather than just be sad from watching holocaust video

I read a book once about the time leading up to the destruction of the Bais hamikdash. I don’t remember if it was within a bigger book, or if that was the book itself. The part I remember was written as a novel. I wish I could remember what book it was.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

The Harp by Rabbi Meir Uri Gottesman
Chains by Leah Gebber
The first 100 or so pages of Zecharya Hoffman's Song of Redemption.

Here's an entirely different way to access the feelings you want: Imagine a world where chassanim and kallos are walking on the chutzos Yerushalayim, children are playing, old people are walking at ease and not nervous about making it to a bomb shelter. Where kavod Shamayim reigns supreme. Where near the wall, one can smell incense and korbanos coming from the BHMK on the other side.
When all people will recognize the truth and let us be.

Imagine this world in the future.

Imagine that we had this past. That we were oleh regel joyfully and securely. That we had parnassah berevach, neviim and teachers and mentors and absolute clarity.

Breathe the clear Yerushalayim air.

Then think about October 7, what happened on that day, the repercussions for all the hostages and their families, including those who BH were freed.

There are many ways to access the immense disconnect and unease and sadness. I've read Princes Among Men about the kedoshim of Mercaz HaRav, on more than one Tisha B'Av.

Hatzlacha and hatz off for you preparing and making the effort to do this with all the responsibilities you may be juggling.

May this all be moot.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:22 pm
I love And Rachel was his Wife, for this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note