Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bookworm encourage exercise

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 1:35 pm
Dd 10 loves reading and can sit reading for hours problem is she recently started gaining weight the doctor feels it’s because she doesn’t move around much anyway to encourage more movement? Maybe exercise videos for children something fun

amother
Copper  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 3:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dd 10 loves reading and can sit reading for hours problem is she recently started gaining weight the doctor feels it’s because she doesn’t move around much anyway to encourage more movement? Maybe exercise videos for children something fun

I don't have book ideas but I have a fitbit and I love the reminders that I can set to get a certain amount of steps in each hour.

When reading a book, one can get lost in it and not realize the time passing. A device like that buzzes and lets you know to hit your "goal" and it's realistic that it can take a few minutes.

Taps into the same brain pattern/dopamine cycle that video games do. Find something that rides along with the current processes and it will be easier.

Can you get her a watch like that? (there are cheaper options than fitbit and you want one with less features so it's less obsessive. Just something that buzzes once an hr to remind her within a timeframe. The fitbit gives me 10min to get in 250 steps and it's fun to run around the apartment).

Or can you make a game of it? Have a timer for her and every xyz amount of time it rings and everyone has to stop and do jumping jacks for one min. Something fun and manageable to slowly ease into more movement. Eventually make the time span shorter.

otstud

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 4:14 pm
My daughter is also a bookworm and she needed to move around too, not weight related reason though. So we gave her the choice of scooter, roller blades, bike, or dance/exercise class as a must do. She picked her scooter and likes it a lot. She uses it daily with no need for me to remind her, b”H!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 4:15 pm
Copper, which fitbit do you have?

amother
  Copper  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 4:30 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Copper, which fitbit do you have?

I have the HR Inspire I think. It's an old one. Not sure if the setting is automatic or something I did but I have it that if I don't meet my hourly steps goal (between 9-6 because sedentary jobs), it buzzes at the :50 mark to let me know how many steps I still "need".

It's reasonable so getting up to walk that around the apartment a few times is workable. Once doing that it's easier to implement more movement vs say "workout for 20min" which can feel like a big chunk of time vs a few minutes commitment.

amother
  Copper

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 4:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

To add, I also have an exercise bike always out and open as well as a pullup bar and stretchy bands.

One of the bikes are recumbent and one has a desk so easy to pedal while reading or working. Not sure how tall your daughter is but that is a fun way to include movement without stopping reading. Although if she gets too caught up in the book, her feet will stop pedaling. But still better than nothing.

The stretchy bands on the pull up bar is a kind of indoor gymnastics and requires muscle strength to "play" with but they're not thinking about it more just trying to see "if" they can do it (and in doing that doing exercise) and passing by the doorway reminds them to try and it's a fun challenge.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 5:53 pm
These are great ideas thanks I’m the one that barely finds time to sit and I want to do it without making her think anything of it she’s not chubby at all just gained a lot over the past year

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 5:55 pm
Please don't make this about her weight in any way. Movement and exercise is healthy, period.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:17 pm
Oh I would never mention that aside for the fact that there’s nothing wrong with her eating habits and our pediatrician was amazing too he just asked her what her hobbies are and mentioned that it’s good to exercise especially when in school she sits in her chair al day it would probably be fun to move around when she gets home

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:34 pm
OP I have the exact same situation with my son. He started gaining weight, and I realized I have never ever seen him get out of breath or break a sweat because hes always reading, doodling, or talking as he sits lol.
-we got a Ring Fit game, connects to the nintendo switch in a large screen. Worth every penny. He basically has a character on the screen that only moves when he does in real life (one of the nintendo controls is strapped to his leg and registers the movement). He needs to follow instructions and jump, jog, squat etc in order for his character to run along the challenges, jump over barriers etc and vanquish the dragon or whatever it is.
-look into the Dance Dance Revolution games, or the Jewish versions
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise