Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I'm so bored :-(

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 2:06 pm
Cut my work hours to part time because I didn't like that with my older children I was always running around. Now I don't know what to do with myself. I had an extra short day today so I was home by 1. It's 5 now. It feels like it's been ages. Baby just turned a year and is at an exploring stage so I can't ignore him for a minute. I have laundry to fold and paperwork to do but as soon as I start thinking about any of it the baby starts demanding my attention. He seems to be dropping a nap so first of all I only get one break (at most. Some days that first nap is at the sitter) and secondly he's tired and kvetchy a lot so I end up nursing a lot because he seems like he wants to be calmed to sleep but instead he pops up again only to get cranky again a little while later. Changed a couple of diapers, had lunch and snack. Read a book. I let him help me make coffee and then he had a tantrum when I drank it and only gave him water. Yesterday I took him grocery shopping and still felt like the day was long, and anyway now I don't have any more shopping to do.

Anyway he's adorable and I love him and I want to be present for him but also I'm losing my mind. I gave him finger foods to do himself while I cut up a soup for supper. We went out for a walk twice, once which included a stop at a playground to go on the swings and crawl around somewhere new. Right now he's amusing himself filling a bucket with balls, but I know if I try to do anything productive he'll start screaming for attention so here I am. I've already read what feels like the entire imamother and I'm bored of that too. And I don't want to spend my life on my phone but I just don't know what else to do!

giftedmom  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 2:22 pm
If you have older kids they should be home already or home soon no? That should keep you and baby occupied.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 2:29 pm
The older ones are in camp. That's probably why I'm suddenly so much more bored. Though it was a problem in the past too. I think the loss of afternoon nap is what's killing me, no break. He's actually entertaining himself pretty well now but won't tolerate a playpen so he needs a lot of watching, plus if he catches on that I'm about to do anything the fun is over.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 2:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
The older ones are in camp. That's probably why I'm suddenly so much more bored. Though it was a problem in the past too. I think the loss of afternoon nap is what's killing me, no break. He's actually entertaining himself pretty well now but won't tolerate a playpen so he needs a lot of watching, plus if he catches on that I'm about to do anything the fun is over.

As in sleepaway? Wow that’s a heck of an age difference. It’s hard! Try to get out as much as possible while the weather is nice.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 2:33 pm
Your kids are still in daycamp at 5:32?

Where do u live? Maybe I want to send my kids there. Lol

Theres always beds to make, bathrooms to freshen up, dishes, dinner , laundry

We.are never bored.

amother
Periwinkle  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Cut my work hours to part time because I didn't like that with my older children I was always running around. Now I don't know what to do with myself. I had an extra short day today so I was home by 1. It's 5 now. It feels like it's been ages. Baby just turned a year and is at an exploring stage so I can't ignore him for a minute. I have laundry to fold and paperwork to do but as soon as I start thinking about any of it the baby starts demanding my attention. He seems to be dropping a nap so first of all I only get one break (at most. Some days that first nap is at the sitter) and secondly he's tired and kvetchy a lot so I end up nursing a lot because he seems like he wants to be calmed to sleep but instead he pops up again only to get cranky again a little while later. Changed a couple of diapers, had lunch and snack. Read a book. I let him help me make coffee and then he had a tantrum when I drank it and only gave him water. Yesterday I took him grocery shopping and still felt like the day was long, and anyway now I don't have any more shopping to do.

Anyway he's adorable and I love him and I want to be present for him but also I'm losing my mind. I gave him finger foods to do himself while I cut up a soup for supper. We went out for a walk twice, once which included a stop at a playground to go on the swings and crawl around somewhere new. Right now he's amusing himself filling a bucket with balls, but I know if I try to do anything productive he'll start screaming for attention so here I am. I've already read what feels like the entire imamother and I'm bored of that too. And I don't want to spend my life on my phone but I just don't know what else to do!

Keep baby at the babysitter so you can get some housework done. I have baby similar age and it can get really challenging! Can’t leave him alone for a second

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:06 pm
Yes, it's quite an age gap, which is part of why I was (am!) determined to be more present. Sigh.

During the school year I sometimes can extend my babysitting hours but that sitter is away for the summer, now I bring him to someone near work so he needs to come home when I do.

I do housework to whatever extent the baby lets but it's so boring!

I tried putting on a podcast while playing with him but I couldn't focus Sad

amother
  Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, it's quite an age gap, which is part of why I was (am!) determined to be more present. Sigh.

During the school year I sometimes can extend my babysitting hours but that sitter is away for the summer, now I bring him to someone near work so he needs to come home when I do.

I do housework to whatever extent the baby lets but it's so boring!

I tried putting on a podcast while playing with him but I couldn't focus Sad

How about a mother’s helper for the afternoons 2 days a week? Now in the summer the girls are more available if they’re not in camp

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:28 pm
That's a solid idea. I still wish I knew what to do with my life instead of finding it so boring. I guess I'll do a bath soon... Hope dh isn't working too late tonight. Not so predictable.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:28 pm
I'm in the same situation now. My 15 month old toddler is bored and so am I. All I can do is embrace the stage and remind myself that this too shall pass.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics