Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Rabbi Mendel Kessin- predicting techiyas hamesisim
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

b.chadash  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know I didn’t listen to all the speeches, only one where said. As we already discussed we know techiyas hameisim is in 2030.

But again, aren’t we not supposed to predict?

Hi.
I have been listening to Rabbi Kessin's shiurim since 2018 or so.
He doesn't "predict".
His calculations are based on the Zohar and the Ramchal and numerous other sources.

His angle is that he tries to explain current events through the lens of Chazal.
Of course, there is some element of interpretation.

To answer your question, most would agree with you, that it's not for us to predict and calculate. Many rabbonim stay away from that. As the saying goes, "those who know, don't say. Those who say- don't know." However I have heard people say that that would only apply when it's "achishena" (before the end time).
When it's b'ito, it's not predicting, but just obvious. (I'm not sure I expressed that right, but if you listen to Rabbi Isser Weisberg, he addresses this.)

I listen to Rabbi Kessin not for the predictions but for his penetrating insights. He does bring sources for everything he says, but obviously, the current events are his own understanding on how to apply the gemaras and Chazals he quotes.

All of his shiurim are built on the same basic premises and all fit together. He sees all current events as bringing forward the Messianic process that has to happen for the world to achieve the end goal.

Last edited by b.chadash on Tue, Aug 06 2024, 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
  Sage  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:07 pm
Thank you b chadash!

amother
  Chicory

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:07 pm
It doesn’t sound like any of us here can really answer something that deep…

He has a YouTube channel it’ll have an email there probably

First Lady  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:09 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Hi.
I have been listening to Rabbi Kessin's shiurim since 2015 or so.
He doesn't "predict".
His calculations are based on the Zohar and the Ramchal and numerous other sources.

His angle is that he tries to explain current events through the lens of Chazal.

To answer your question, most would agree with you, that it's not for us to predict and calculate. Many rabbonim stay away from that. As the saying goes, "those who know, don't say. Those who say- don't know." However I have heard people say that that would only apply when it's "achishena" (before the end time).
When it's b'ito, it's not predicting, but just obvious. (I'm not sure I expressed that right, but if you listen to Rabbi Isser Weisberg, he addresses this.)

I listen to Rabbi Kessin not for the predictions but for his penetrating insights. He does bring sources for everything he says, but obviously, the current events are his own understanding on how to apply the gemaras and Chazals he quotes.

All of his shiurim are built on the same basic premises and all fit together. He sees all current events as bringing forward the Messianic process that has to happen for the world to achieve the end goal.

Thank you. I sometimes listen to him because I find it fascinating, and he always brings sources.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:13 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Hi.
I have been listening to Rabbi Kessin's shiurim since 2015 or so.
He doesn't "predict".

Thanks!!

Also he talks about America being the last stop before geula and that Trump is going to help usher in moshiach

b.chadash  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
So how do I reconcile this with the fact that he is a tremendous Talmid Chacham and a tzadik.

Just wondering how you know he is a tzadik? I'm not saying he is not, but I'm not sure how you can know this. He isn't a well known "gadol".
I do not know him personally, though I have been listening to his shiurim for years.
He is certainly a brilliant scholar (and I believe a psychologist) and has been giving shiurim for at least 20 years.
Many of his shiurim can be heard on Torah Anytime.

You can easily hear all this from him firsthand. In his latest shiur, he mentioned about techias hameisim occurring before the year 2030, within the first 5 minutes.

Eta. My point is not to mitigate anything he says. But keep in mind that he is one Rabbi who speaks up about this, and it's not something we need to take as Toras Moshe MiSinai. Maybe he know, but maybe he is mistaken. Many great gedolim have made predictions that have not come to pass.
I like to keep an open mind.
It's valuable to listen to his classes to gain a broader understanding of Jewish history and how things fit into the broader scheme of things. I don't think it should be about the predictions.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know I didn’t listen to all the speeches, only one where said. As we already discussed we know techiyas hameisim is in 2030.

But again, aren’t we not supposed to predict?

We know this? It is news to me. I have never heard of this Rav either. Who is he?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
We know this? It is news to me. I have never heard of this Rav either. Who is he?

Sorry that was meant to be a quote from his speech, referencing that he said it before

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:29 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Just wondering how you know he is a tzadik? I'm not saying he is not, but I'm not sure how you can know this. He isn't a well known "gadol".
I do not know him personally, though I have been listening to his shiurim for years.
He is certainly a brilliant scholar (and I believe a psychologist) and has been giving shiurim for at least 20 years.
Many of his shiurim can be heard on Torah Anytime.

You can easily hear all this from him firsthand. In his latest shiur, he mentioned about techias hameisim occurring before the year 2030, within the first 5 minutes.

Eta. My point is not to mitigate anything he says. But keep in mind that he is one Rabbi who speaks up about this, and it's not something we need to take as Toras Moshe MiSinai. Maybe he know, but maybe he is mistaken. Many great gedolim have made predictions that have not come to pass.
I like to keep an open mind.
It's valuable to listen to his classes to gain a broader understanding of Jewish history and how things fit into the broader scheme of things. I don't think it should be about the predictions.

Ya I don’t actually know. But then how do I know anymore who has the truth? Who to listen to?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:30 pm
When I started listening to him, my husband was like who is this Rav? He did some research, I belive he got Semicha from R' Moshe Feinstein and said I can keep listening.

b.chadash  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!!

Also he talks about America being the last stop before geula and that Trump is going to help usher in moshiach

Yes. Many have said that America is the last stop before Moshiach, including Rav Chaim Volozhiner, who was a great gadol B'Yisroel, and who died about 200 years ago.

Rabbi Daniel Glatstein recently quoted Rabbi Mendel Kessin in connection with a fascinating discovery he made. Rabbi Kessin discovered that the founding of the USA (July 4th, 1776) fell out on Shiva Asar B'Tammuz, which is traditionally thought of as a day of tragedy. Rabbi Glatstein goes on to explain that this day also contains with it seeds of hope for redemption, and he quotes Rav Chaim Volozhiner who said that galuus America will be the last of the 10 exiles we will have to go through.
It's worth listening to this short (6 minute) talk. https://torahanytime.com/lectures/311788

amother
Beige  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:33 pm
In 3030 or by 2030?
How long before that is moshiach?

First Lady  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:33 pm
Can someone link that shiur? Thank you

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Beige wrote:
In 3030 or by 2030?

He said 2030 . I think in the one before he may have said how much before that but I didn’t hear that part

b.chadash  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ya I don’t actually know. But then how do I know anymore who has the truth? Who to listen to?

Rabbi Kessin is pretty legit (as someone said, he was a talmid of Rav Moshe Feinstein. You can probably find his bio online). He doesn't say anything outlandish, and everything he says, he quotes the source.

But I don't think that any one person has the "truth". You can listen to the magidei shiur that resonate with you.

If you want to start listening to Rabbi Kessin, I believe he posts every Motzaei Shabbos. But I would recommend that you start from the beginning. His series is called 21st century, or similar. The first 15 shiurim or so are the underpinnings of everything else that comes after. (This was before Trump was elected the first time. )

Last edited by b.chadash on Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

b.chadash  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:39 pm
amother Beige wrote:
In 3030 or by 2030?

He says techias hameisim has to start by 2030.
Moshiach has to have come by then, I think by a few years. I don't remember exactly, but I think by 2027.

sequoia  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

No human has the truth.

First Lady  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:41 pm
b.chadash wrote:
He says techias hameisim has to start by 2030.
Moshiach has to have come by then, I think by a few years. I don't remember exactly, but I think by 2027.

Do you have the link for this shiur?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:42 pm
First Lady wrote:
Do you have the link for this shiur?

Google Mendel kessin YouTube. It’s the most recent one

Thisisnotmyreal  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:44 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
There's no nevuah nowadays & absolutely no one can predict that.

Yes there is Rambam in Igeres Taimon predicts nevuah to return about a thousand years ago and Reb Chaim Vital describes the Arizal as someone who has nevuah. And many more Tzaddikim have had since then.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational