Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
18 month old dd saying "diaper"

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 3:35 pm
My 18 month old now comes to tell me "diaper!" when she needs a change. Been happening for a couple of weeks, at first randomly but now more and more accurate. Is she ready for training? She's my first and 18 months feels kind of early!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 18 month old now comes to tell me "diaper!" when she needs a change. Been happening for a couple of weeks, at first randomly but now more and more accurate. Is she ready for training? She's my first and 18 months feels kind of early!

You could try, but you're right that it's earlier than average. is she interested in using the potty/toilet? it is possible to train at that age. OTOH, my 2.5 yo knows when she needs a new diaper, but also knows she's not interested in trying to sit on the toilet. I'm leaving it until she's closer to 3 and see if she gets interested in the meantime

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
You could try, but you're right that it's earlier than average. is she interested in using the potty/toilet? it is possible to train at that age. OTOH, my 2.5 yo knows when she needs a new diaper, but also knows she's not interested in trying to sit on the toilet. I'm leaving it until she's closer to 3 and see if she gets interested in the meantime

She's very curious about the bathroom and she knows big girls go on the toilet but she doesn't seem to know exactly what it's for.

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:34 pm
No advice, just that's really cute! Heart Heart

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:36 pm
It's a step but not a complete sign of readiness. Is there any indication she knows before she wets/dirties her diaper?

I recall one of my kids crawling to bring me a clean diaper at like 15 months before she walked, but she was far from being ready to train!

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:40 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's a step but not a complete sign of readiness. Is there any indication she knows before she wets/dirties her diaper?

I recall one of my kids crawling to bring me a clean diaper at like 15 months before she walked, but she was far from being ready to train!

Not that I can tell

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:40 pm
It doesn't mean she's ready, and even if she's ready doesn't mean it's the best time to train her.
Toilet training is a commitment, and with summer trips etc not always the best time.

erm

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:41 pm
Telling you after the fact is not the same as telling. Expressive she needs it. Will she be able to control herself to wait to get to the bathroom.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:41 pm
My 16 month old tells me stinky after she made a dirty diaper. She doesn't care sitting in it and is not aware before she goes. I also can't imagine training her without more verbal skills.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:48 pm
my 2 year old was the same from like 18 month she would tell me pamper and sit down to make. also my first so didnt want to train to early... trained her 2 weeks ago at 25 month took 5 days. I would say wait till u feel shes ready to tell u she needs to go can go up on steps to toilet etc.
Good luck!

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 5:26 pm
Most likely she is aware thet her diaper is wet/dirty and you should change it and not aware that its herself that made.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training