Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Creating a website help

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 11:04 am
I'm in the process of creating a website... I have someone from Fiver creating it for me on WordPress with a theme.

Thing is very bad figuring this stuff out. When he is done I would want someone to test it out, let me know if it's running well and doing what I want. I don't want to go live with it and then run into problems - nervous to just rely on some random guy I found online. Also maybe would want to make it more "Jewish sounding" and set it up in way that makes more sense (if how it's done isn't perfect, possibly I won't need that - basically would like a second option besides his and mine..)

What type of person am I looking for to do this? And any recommendations?

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 11:53 am
You kind of get what you pay for.

Can you afford someone more reliable than fiverr? I assume it's the job of the web developer to make sure the website works well across platforms, but I idk if I'd count on a fiver designer doing that well...

As far as a 2nd opinion about it looking Jewish enough, you don't need an expert for that. You can have a friend or two look it over.

Setting it up in a way that makes sense is called "user interface" (UI) or "graphic user interface" (GUI) and is again, probably best done by a professional. But you could always have a friend try out the website and tell you if they are having difficulty navigating and understanding the website and advise what needs improving.

Ravenclaw  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 11:56 am
Do you have access to the Wordpress and hosting account? So you can edit it as needed?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 12:06 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Do you have access to the Wordpress and hosting account? So you can edit it as needed?

Yes

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
You kind of get what you pay for.

Can you afford someone more reliable than fiverr? I assume it's the job of the web developer to make sure the website works well across platforms, but I idk if I'd count on a fiver designer doing that well...

As far as a 2nd opinion about it looking Jewish enough, you don't need an expert for that. You can have a friend or two look it over.

Setting it up in a way that makes sense is called "user interface" (UI) or "graphic user interface" (GUI) and is again, probably best done by a professional. But you could always have a friend try out the website and tell you if they are having difficulty navigating and understanding the website and advise what needs improving.

Thanks for the info regarding UO and GUI.
I'm thinking it might pay to higher someone more realible....but thinking it will still be cheaper if now I have something to start with instead of having them do it from scratch. Would a developer be ok with that or would they want the whole project?

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 12:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes

Ok that’s good. It’s pretty easy to pick up, you can always google or watch videos on YouTube if you need to make any edits

lovelylife  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 12:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the info regarding UO and GUI.
I'm thinking it might pay to higher someone more realible....but thinking it will still be cheaper if now I have something to start with instead of having them do it from scratch. Would a developer be ok with that or would they want the whole project?

I'm a designer/developer.
No, most people in the field find it easier to start from scratch than to clean up someone's mess, so it would be more expensive to do that....
Sorry

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 12:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm in the process of creating a website... I have someone from Fiver creating it for me on WordPress with a theme.

Thing is very bad figuring this stuff out. When he is done I would want someone to test it out, let me know if it's running well and doing what I want. I don't want to go live with it and then run into problems - nervous to just rely on some random guy I found online. Also maybe would want to make it more "Jewish sounding" and set it up in way that makes more sense (if how it's done isn't perfect, possibly I won't need that - basically would like a second option besides his and mine..)

What type of person am I looking for to do this? And any recommendations?
my husband builds websites for people. Let me know if you need help

e1234

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 11:40 pm
I also build websites www.awebforyou.com

The web developer should do the initial testing.

Pita  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:57 am
I had a friend create a WordPress website for me. I am not sure about the initial setup, but (and this is from someone who knows NOTHING about these things) found that WordPress is very easy to change and manipulate and adjust. You just have to tell yourself "WordPress was not created for computer programmers, it was created for people like me. What I need to do is here somewhere." Set aside some time and just scroll and click around.

I would go into your web site from another device or computer, one that is not logged in. That way you can find broken links.

My web site is www.parshanosher.com. It would be a blind leading the blind situation, but I would be happy to stumble along with you. You may PM me or write to parshanosher@yahoo.com.

My current struggle is not the web site but figuring out why when you GOOGLE "parshanosher" the Imamother page pops up, as does someone else's page that somehow is directed to my page (I need to send him a cease and desist)...but not my page. There is some process I have to do but first I am trying to get the last few posts up so there is at least one snack for every parsha before the school year begins; I am hoping this becomes more widely known so it is useful for others.

Also I have no idea whether I will ever try to make this profitable, except probably publish a printed version so people can just open a page and not spend a ton on color printing. Definitely don't want adds popping up, but everyone runs their site differently.

Anyway... write to me if you want to stumble along together. I may be half a step ahead in the process, and might be able to help.

lovelylife  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 9:50 am
Pita wrote:

My current struggle is not the web site but figuring out why when you GOOGLE "parshanosher" the Imamother page pops up, as does someone else's page that somehow is directed to my page (I need to send him a cease and desist)...but not my page. There is some process I have to do but first I am trying to get the last few posts up so there is at least one snack for every parsha before the school year begins; I am hoping this becomes more widely known so it is useful for others.

For starters, your website is not secure.
This is the url http://www.parshanosher.com./
It should be https

Pita  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 10:44 am
lovelylife wrote:
For starters, your website is not secure.
This is the url http://www.parshanosher.com./
It should be https

Oh! Thank you! I will try to figure out how to change that. I had no idea.

Pita  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 10:49 am
Pita wrote:
Oh! Thank you! I will try to figure out how to change that. I had no idea.

Wait: in WordPress the settings show HTTPS. I just put the www.parshanosher.com when I typed it here. Is it really not secure?

lovelylife

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 10:51 am
Pita wrote:
Wait: in WordPress the settings show HTTPS. I just put the www.parshanosher.com when I typed it here. Is it really not secure?

You fixed it, but now it's all redirected.

It seems like you would benefit from an SEO audit.

Pita  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 10:58 am
lovelylife wrote:
You fixed it, but now it's all redirected.

It seems like you would benefit from an SEO audit.

Thank you. I will prioritize that.
Instead of redoing the front page every week I am redirecting to the week's parsha. I guess it wasn't as brilliant idea as I thought it was.

Pita

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 4:24 am
Just an update... and I am sorry to have hijacked this thread...I believe the problem has been fixed (consulted with an expert friend, took 2 hours, ...THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!

I will still follow the rest of your advice, but at least the web site now functions as it is supposed to function! Now I can finish it up without worrying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics