Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
How did we get here??Latenite and overnight trips in day cam
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
  Bronze  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:54 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Can happen from lack of sleep from just 1 night???? I don't think so. Every child has a late night every so often.
Perhaps severe lack of sleep can cause a seizure, but a 1 night thing? I doubt it.

You must be a doctor Smile.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:59 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Frum camps anywhere only go to Waterparks after hours. After hours is generally 5/6-8/9. I truly believe that only in Lakewood there's this craziness coming home from trips in the wee hours of the morning. This does not go on in Brooklyn or Monsey.
Yes, it's a lakewood only thing

amother
  NeonBlue  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Linen wrote:
niether do brooklyn camps. But I believe the parks are rented from after five. So they arrive at five. Have a cookout supper. And then enter the park at 6:00-6:30. Take a look at sahara sam schedule they close at 6. Dreamworks closed at 6. Then private rentals can come from 6-9. No reason to send kids home for supper. No reason to come home after midnight Unless you're more than 2 hours away.

Right. If the park closes at 9/10. They change. It is a 2 hr drive home. They get home at 12 am.
The big water parks close later.
Kahalari at 9, American dream at 9. And you have to wait until the park is cleared after that time. Lifeguards change shift. So they do have to go after those times. And then drive home.

flowerpower  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:01 pm
My kids never ever watch videos in dc. Is it a Lakewood thing as well?

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
You must be a doctor Smile.

I'm not a doctor but I do have experience with childhood seizures & know that lack of sleep can cause a seizure for a child that has epilepsy & is prone to seizures. It is extremely unlikely that a 1 night thing will cause a seizure for a healthy child. Which is why I'd be concerned that the child may have gotten injured at the trip.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Lack of sleep because of one late night trip, does not cause a seizure for a healthy child. It's ridiculous to blame it on that. Millions of kids have a late night every so often, without having a seizure bh. I think most of us have done late night travels, flights.... with our kids, a healthy child does not have a seizure as a result of that.
I'd be concerned that your child may have gotten injured at the trip, and I hope the child got a compromise exam with a neurologist.
Even if it doesn't cause seizures in the majority of kids, it's still not a healthy thing for a child's body. Yes, we do it if we need to in extenuating circumstances, but doing it purely for the sake of fun is a display of poor values.

amother
  NeonBlue  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:03 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My kids never ever watch videos in dc. Is it a Lakewood thing as well?

I feel like it’s a newer thing. I have older and younger kids. My older kids had a party with staff entertaining. I feel like staff is getting lazier with new generation of kids.

(Some of my older kids even went camping after these water park kids which was its own level of chaos. I don’t think any camp does that now.
It’s not a new thing seeing I’ve had kids in the system for years.
I’m wondering if it started bec parents complained about picking up their kids at 12-1 am)

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even if it doesn't cause seizures in the majority of kids, it's still not a healthy thing for a child's body. Yes, we do it if we need to in extenuating circumstances, but doing it purely for the sake of fun is a display of poor values.

I disagree that it's unhealthy if it's a 1 night thing. It's not the end of the world.

flowerpower  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

My kids have cousins weddings a few times a year. They get home 3:30 am on average. Bh no seizures.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:09 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My kids have cousins weddings a few times a year. They get home 3:30 am on average. Bh no seizures.
I'm not the one saying it's going to cause seizures. And bh it's for a good reason. Purely for the sake of fun just seems irresponsible. Humans really need to sleep every single night.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:10 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Frum camps anywhere only go to Waterparks after hours. After hours is generally 5/6-8/9. I truly believe that only in Lakewood there's this craziness coming home from trips in the wee hours of the morning. This does not go on in Brooklyn or Monsey.

Agree I'm in brooklyn and my son gets home 1030 from waterpark trips. He really enjoys it and I'm happy he has the opportunity.

I would not be ok with coming home at midnight

flowerpower  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:11 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I feel like it’s a newer thing. I have older and younger kids. My older kids had a party with staff entertaining. I feel like staff is getting lazier with new generation of kids.

(Some of my older kids even went camping after these water park kids which was its own level of chaos. I don’t think any camp does that now.
It’s not a new thing seeing I’ve had kids in the system for years.
I’m wondering if it started bec parents complained about picking up their kids at 12-1 am)

We have door stops after these trip. No pick up neefed. Definitely makes life easier. Although many do pick up their kids by choice

amother
  Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:16 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Getting home 3:30 am isn't 24 hours without sleep. And yes getting a seizure is unusual. My point wasn't that everyone will get a seizure after a trip, rather, that their little bodies need the sleep.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:18 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Getting home 3:30 am isn't 24 hours without sleep. And yes getting a seizure is unusual. My point wasn't that everyone will get a seizure after a trip, rather, that their little bodies need the sleep.
Perfectly said

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:24 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

Yes, they need sleep. Which is why they get their sleep. 1 late night, shouldn't cause any issues for children. I find that it's more the parents that have issue with it, then the children.

amother
  Linen  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:28 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Right. If the park closes at 9/10. They change. It is a 2 hr drive home. They get home at 12 am.
The big water parks close later.
Kahalari at 9, American dream at 9. And you have to wait until the park is cleared after that time. Lifeguards change shift. So they do have to go after those times. And then drive home.

So for curiosity sake I Checked
American dream closes at six
Great adventure and Kalahari 8- if they go from 8:30- 10:30. They can be home by midnight.
Many parks close at six midweek. The late nights are weekends.
Solution is choose the ones that close at six.

amother
Azalea  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

nope, it's not. dd11 is in a huge, popular daycamp in monsey and they did the same thing. got home from water park at 1:30am and instead of going home they gave them something to watch in daycamp while lounging on the floor. ridiculous. I'm so upset by this over-the-topness. so unnecessary and not healthy.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

What? My son is in a camp in Baltimore and they went to American Dream mall this summer on a Monday night (and last) to the water park. They left there around 11pm and were home at 4:30am, they had the morning off and then camp started later in the day. They have a few nights in the summer where they come back between 11-1 and then this one SUPER late night.

As a kid, we also had late nights. I went to a secular camp and the late night was the highlight of the session! Each session we had one. We'd stay late, have dinner, go to Six Flags, come back and do a camp fire and be back home REALLY late. This was in the midwest in the 80s and 90s.

We were FINE.

Those kids or parents who did not want to participate either stayed home or opted out.

flowerpower  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
nope, it's not. dd11 is in a huge, popular daycamp in monsey and they did the same thing. got home from water park at 1:30am and instead of going home they gave them something to watch in daycamp while lounging on the floor. ridiculous. I'm so upset by this over-the-topness. so unnecessary and not healthy.

No way! Why?!?!?!!!

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:13 pm
amother Azalea wrote:

I don't get it, why couldn't the kids be picked up at 1:30??? Why did they have to stay in camp?
And from which park did they get home at 1:30? The latest my kids got home from a Waterpark was about 11:00. Also monsey daycamp.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps