Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
How did we get here??Latenite and overnight trips in day cam
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
  Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
You must be a doctor Smile.

I am and that is absolutely ridiculous one night lack of sleep does not cause seizures in healthy kids.

imaima

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Opal wrote:
Like with everything in life, there will always be the complainers and the ones that see the positives.

Stop looking to complain. Grin it and bear it.

Why would one do it for something that is a service they are paying for? It’s toxic positivity and absolutely misplaced. There are enough events in our lifetime that can’t be changed. But the things this thread is about can absolutely be changed when enough people speak up.

Last edited by imaima on Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  NeonBlue  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:46 pm
If you want your kid home pick them up when they get back. I’ve done that for kids who wanted and didn’t like hanging out in camp. It’s not a big deal.

Kids will not have seizures from being up less than 24 hours. No one is forcing them awake. Often kids sleep on the drive home. Or they will fall asleep or doze off back in camp. It’s rare I had a kid not sleep at all. That is more likely to happen than a seizure.

That is a ridiculous argument.

Regarding sahara Sams - It’s the earliest and closest water park to lkwd. I heard the teen camp is going today. It made my dd feel better bec she is going next week and felt it was a baby trip. The camps try not to get that reputation so they go tor bigger. But the reputation it has is that you go in 2nd grade not 7th grade…

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:53 pm
On the topic of seizures, yes it can happen!

It's unexplained epilepsy.

I was perfectly healthy, at around 7.5 years old I once stayed up very late. I got my first seizure then.

For the next few years, until 11 years old approximately, any time I would stay up very late, I would get a seizure.

There was nothing else going on, and doctors had no explanation for it.

bH I do not suffer from this anymore.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:32 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
If you want your kid home pick them up when they get back. I’ve done that for kids who wanted and didn’t like hanging out in camp. It’s not a big deal.

Kids will not have seizures from being up less than 24 hours. No one is forcing them awake. Often kids sleep on the drive home. Or they will fall asleep or doze off back in camp. It’s rare I had a kid not sleep at all. That is more likely to happen than a seizure.

That is a ridiculous argument.

Regarding sahara Sams - It’s the earliest and closest water park to lkwd. I heard the teen camp is going today. It made my dd feel better bec she is going next week and felt it was a baby trip. The camps try not to get that reputation so they go tor bigger. But the reputation it has is that you go in 2nd grade not 7th grade…
My kid got back at 5am. I wanted to pick him up then but he insisted he wants to stay and watch the video. Of course he did, what else did you expect from a 10 year old boy? Pickup was at 7 30 so for those 2 hours I wasn't going to make a big deal and make myself crazy. If he'd gotten back at 1am or even 3 I would have insisted on picking him up.
Yeah he slept on the bus... for 45 minutes.

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
My kid got back at 5am. I wanted to pick him up then but he insisted he wants to stay and watch the video. Of course he did, what else did you expect from a 10 year old boy? Pickup was at 7 30 so for those 2 hours I wasn't going to make a big deal and make myself crazy. If he'd gotten back at 1am or even 3 I would have insisted on picking him up.
Yeah he slept on the bus... for 45 minutes.

Where did they go to that they got back at 5AM?

amother
  NeonBlue  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:54 pm
amother Plum wrote:

I’m trying to guess

Maybe six flags New England. It is 4 hours away.

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:54 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
On the topic of seizures, yes it can happen!

It's unexplained epilepsy.

I was perfectly healthy, at around 7.5 years old I once stayed up very late. I got my first seizure then.

For the next few years, until 11 years old approximately, any time I would stay up very late, I would get a seizure.

There was nothing else going on, and doctors had no explanation for it.

bH I do not suffer from this anymore.

Seems like you had an epilepsy disorder that is triggered by lack sleep, and that's when you figured it out.
Most kids however do not have an epilepsy disorder & do just fine staying awake late 1 night.

amother
  Plum  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:55 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I’m trying to guess

Maybe six flags New England. It is 4 hours away.

Great Escape? But why are they leaving the park at 1AM?

amother
  NeonBlue  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:56 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Great Escape? But why are they leaving the park at 1AM?

Because they prob can’t enter until the park is empty. Maybe 7:30 or 8:00. Stay until 12. Get kids back on bus. Bathroom. Attendance. Leave around 1

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:57 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Kalahari

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:57 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Because they prob can’t enter until the park is empty. Maybe 7:30 or 8:00. Stay until 12. Get kids back on bus. Bathroom. Attendance. Leave around 1
They left lakewood at 8. It's 2.5 hours away.

amother
  NeonBlue

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

Which park? I’m trying to think which park starts late hours at 10:30 but I can’t guess

Oh. I see you wrote kalahari

flowerpower  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

Why did they leave at 8? Why so late?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:11 pm
I don't live on Lakewood, but my son has done the overnight trip to Kalahari. Yes, I thought it was over the top and unnecessary. But, it's a special experience. One night without good sleep is not going to destroy anyone. My son enjoys it. He sleeps half the day, and then gets a good night of sleep and is fine the next day. I don't think it's worth getting upset about.

amother
Bottlebrush  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:14 pm
I’m gonna chime in.
DD9 had a late night trip tonight to a water park. The asked that the girls be picked up from camp 30 mins early and returned to camp an hr later - dressed for the water park and having eaten dinner. After I picked her up (and a friend) I didn’t have enough time to go home and give her dinner cuz my other pickups are then. So I got her, drove around for 10 mins and did my other pickups. Got home with my 4 kids around 45 mins before she needs to be back in camp. Popped in a few pieces of pizza into the oven and fries and told her to change and grab snacks and drinks etc. by the time the food was ready she needed to leave back to camp so I told her to take her food into the car, piled everyone back in and drove her back. Got home and brought everyone in and my phone rings it’s DD, in the rush she forgot something important and she needs me to rush back cuz they are leaving RIGHT NOW. Piled everyone back into the car .. again. Rush back drop off her forgotten items.
It’s Thurs night. Her pickup is late.. rest of my kids have been dragged around in 95 degree heat for an hr and are cranky. I’m frustrated. Vent over

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:17 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Why did they leave at 8? Why so late?
I wish I knew

amother
  Linen  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:24 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I’m gonna chime in.
DD9 had a late night trip tonight to a water park. The asked that the girls be picked up from camp 30 mins early and returned to camp an hr later - dressed for the water park and having eaten dinner. After I picked her up (and a friend) I didn’t have enough time to go home and give her dinner cuz my other pickups are then. So I got her, drove around for 10 mins and did my other pickups. Got home with my 4 kids around 45 mins before she needs to be back in camp. Popped in a few pieces of pizza into the oven and fries and told her to change and grab snacks and drinks etc. by the time the food was ready she needed to leave back to camp so I told her to take her food into the car, piled everyone back in and drove her back. Got home and brought everyone in and my phone rings it’s DD, in the rush she forgot something important and she needs me to rush back cuz they are leaving RIGHT NOW. Piled everyone back into the car .. again. Rush back drop off her forgotten items.
It’s Thurs night. Her pickup is late.. rest of my kids have been dragged around in 95 degree heat for an hr and are cranky. I’m frustrated. Vent over

They should be providing supper and going from camp.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
nope, it's not. dd11 is in a huge, popular daycamp in monsey and they did the same thing. got home from water park at 1:30am and instead of going home they gave them something to watch in daycamp while lounging on the floor. ridiculous. I'm so upset by this over-the-topness. so unnecessary and not healthy.

idk any monsey day camps that do this. which one?

amother
  Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:36 pm
amother Linen wrote:
They should be providing supper and going from camp.

Coulda woulda shoulda … but didn’t
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps