Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
HELP!!! Best way to cash check not through my own account

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:05 am
My husband is financially extremely controlling. He's against me going for therapy, but I'm going to start going against his knowledge.
I have checks written out in my name through my employer for side jobs I did for the company. My husband doesn't know about these checks and I'll be using this to pay for my own therapy.
How can I cash it without my husband knowing.
If I go through our regular bank, the accounts will be visible. If I go through a different bank, I'll get mail and he'll find out.
How does checks cashing work? He'll probably realize when it comes to filing taxes and he sees the numbers don't match
(asking for new checks written out to cash is not an option) Banging head Banging head

justforfun87

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:07 am
Google cash checking places in your area. There is usually a small fee involved. Even walmart has this service. Bring the check and your ID and they will give you cash.

chili-n-cholent  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:11 am
You can cash it at your own bank without it showing on your account, no need for deposit.
I bank at Chase and you just go up to the teller, show them your debit card and ask to cash a check.
You will get no statement for it, it's not considered a deposit and will not show on your account.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:12 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:
You can cash it at your own bank without it showing on your account, no need for deposit.
I bank at Chase and you just go up to the teller, show them your debit card and ask to cash a check.
You will get no statement for it, it's not considered a deposit and will not show on your account.

Can I do that even if it's not written out to "cash"?

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:

Yes

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:19 am
amother OP wrote:

yes, as long as it's the name on the account

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:20 am
You can open a bank account and get your statements emailed to you.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:24 am
Would your therapist take the checks as payment. If you sign the back anyone can cash or deposit it but not everyone will take third party checks.

watergirl  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:28 am
Open an account and have mail sent to a PO box.

But speak to a lawyer first. This can be considered hiding money. It's not a good thing. I understand that you need to have access to money and he wont allow it, but just be sure.

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:31 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:

At Chase and most other banks, this will only work if you have the funds in your account to cover the check until it clears. I tried this before when I had nothing in my account (or close to nothing) and they would not do it.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:53 am
Open a bank online and make sure its paperless so you don’t receive mail

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:56 am
I remember one time someone came to me with a check card and asked if they could get their deposits deposited onto that. You might be able to do something like that. It's similar to opening a separate bank account but not Not like a physical bank

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:17 pm
You can always open another bank account under your name only and no one on earth has access to it. You can have it set as paperless so that no letters about this account come to your house.

with that said, if your husband is the one taking care of taxes by the end of the year, you might have an issue when not disclosing an income to him.

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:35 pm
What about going to the bank from the check and asking them to cash it. They would know if there are funds backing the check in the account. The only other option is going to a check cashing place. As someone mentioned above there will be a fee. And yes, your DH will notice if your W 2 is drastically different then the amount he deposited.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics