Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dead flies in my garlic powder- dump or keep?

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:46 pm
I have a large container of garlic powder and the cover broke off a couple of weeks ago. It has holes to pour it through, and those are still intact. I just noticed 2 dead flies mixed in with the garlic powder. The weird thing is, they did not fit out through the holes and I had to unscrew the cap to get them out.

Does that mean we bought the garlic powder with the flies in it? Or did they somehow manage to squeeze their way in through the holes? And should I throw out the entire thing? There's a lot left, but it is kind of gross.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:48 pm
How is this even a question

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:49 pm
Toss.
They've pooped and spread their germs.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:50 pm
Definitely throw it out. They could have hatched in there. Why eat infested things? It’s is not worth keeping. Also not good to leave things open bugs will lay eggs in it. In the future cover with a piece of silver foil.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:50 pm
Flies are attracted to garlic. Definitely toss!!

amother
Opal  

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:51 pm
Dump!

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:55 pm
Yeah, I didn't think anyone would say to keep it. But I still asked because it is such a shame to throw out so much food. Oh well.

amother
  Opal

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 2:57 pm
Sometimes I feel like its not even worth it to buy bulk, as by the time I'm halfway done it I feel like it's just ready to be thrown out...

This post reminds me of Saar Hamashkim and Saar Haofim

emmes

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 3:58 pm
Funny, I too recently dumped a garlic powder because I found a dead fly. I'm lax about snapping the lids of my sources shut but this was definately too big to have gotten in from those five little holes.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think anyone would say to keep it. But I still asked because it is such a shame to throw out so much food. Oh well.

No. It’s not a shame. It’s garbage. That’s misplaced thinking. Shouldn’t be in your mouth, so it’s not food.
I once had a child unplug a freezer with close to $800 of meat. THAT was a shame. But we didn’t blink and threw out the food and accepted that it’s what Hashem wanted from us. Just throw out the dead fly food

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:07 pm
A maggot could wiggle in if you left the top open. And then turn into an adult fly.

sweet

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:13 pm
I actually had this last summer, Mistakenly left open the cover, side with the big opening.

I then purposely left it open on my counter to attract all the flies. Used as a fly trap.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:16 pm
DUMP!!!

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 4:20 pm
Keep it and make a separate bracha on the flies. What’s the question even?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 7:10 pm
Seriously speaking- Um, nope. I’m sorry this can’t be a serious question. Maybe your computer/phone was hacked.I don’t know, But I do know this- just throw it out asap.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 8:14 pm
Ew dump

walmart

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Lime wrote:
How is this even a question

To prove that imas can agree on something!
Such achdus, finally!

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 9:48 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Seriously speaking- Um, nope. I’m sorry this can’t be a serious question. Maybe your computer/phone was hacked.I don’t know, But I do know this- just throw it out asap.

Would you like if someone would answer to you this way or would rather more sensitivity?
It goes both ways.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:11 am
Why is this even a question? Dump, of course. The flies
may have hatched in the jar, or crawled in when they were young and slim (weren't we all, once?). There's no way for you to check reliably if there are any eggs in there, and either way, the contents are befouled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen