Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Did you get over a block against davening?
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 3:50 am
amother OP wrote:
I've spent so long not davening. I cry to Hashem every day and speak to Him, but davening has always been hard for me. I've had times here and there where I managed to, but not for a long time. Now I feel sort of, embarrassed maybe? Or foolish? Even to daven by myself, but more so for DH to see, maybe he'll think I'm fake or something. Has anyone got past something similar?

I'm sorry that you feel so low about yourself with davening because it sounds like you're already doing it in its purest form. That's really it, talking to hashem from your heart.

In sem, we had a teacher who told us that there are 3 parts. Praise, bakasha (requesting), and hodaah (thanking). She said if you're not going to daven, if all you say is "awesome God, please help, thanks," you're yotzei all three. If it makes you feel better, you can add those elements.

If it makes you feel better, there's been times in my life that I felt totally unconnected to davening and much later, random times when I totally connected with the words and in fact, it was easier for me that I didn't have to think up these things myself (although I've felt that more with tehillim). But honestly, it seems like you're already doing great.

imaima

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 3:55 am
amother OP wrote:
I've spent so long not davening. I cry to Hashem every day and speak to Him, but davening has always been hard for me. I've had times here and there where I managed to, but not for a long time. Now I feel sort of, embarrassed maybe? Or foolish? Even to daven by myself, but more so for DH to see, maybe he'll think I'm fake or something. Has anyone got past something similar?

I learned that informal crying out is the type of tefilla that women naturally do so it’s good enough. Formal davening is an extra but no obligation

amother
Nectarine

Post Tue, Jul 30 2024, 5:22 am
I learned to accept that formal, prescribed tefillah is just not for me. I tried so hard, so many times but the connection just isn't there. I thank HaShem everyday for the good and cry out when I'm in pain and that is how I connect with Him. I live in a rural area and often find myself in a meditative
state when out in nature during which I will talk to Him. Every so often I'll open a siddur or tehillim spontaneously and for that short time I am able to engage more successfully. Realising that this is how I maintain a very active and real relationship with HaShem helped me release the guilt I felt for not being able to daven the way I was taught.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational