Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
HVAC Inspection - Settle a SB dispute for us!

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:09 am
Since we've moved into our house over five years ago, we've never had an HVAC guy. DH would change the main filter whenever I nagged him to, and then once when something didn't work, DH fixed the part himself and got it running BH.

Obviously DH is a handy guy. He thinks if something isn't broke don't fix it. On the contrary, he says, you call someone down who's going to start poking around an old unit, suddenly somehow we're going to have problems with it after.

OTOH, I don't know much about central AC units, but I do know that most of my neighbors have an "HVAC guy" who comes down in spring to do I-don't-even-know-what. I think we should have a professional come down at least once. Doesn't have to be every year since DH does change the filter on his own, but just to check out everything else because nobody has seen it in all this time that we bought the house. Somehow I also have this idea that they would be able to clean the ducts, check that everything is in optimal order.

Do you have an HVAC guy? What does he do on his annual visit? Is this something I should insist on? Why?

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 10:24 am
My husband is super handy. We don’t have an HVAC guy, or a plumber, or an electrician…he does most of the work himself and saves us loads of $$$. There are some things he can’t do so then he might call someone.

An HVAC guy would prob change the filters and lubricate the system with Freon. Freon needs to be done every 2-3 years for the most part. By living in the house you can tell of the system is efficient. If your husband can do all this you have a built in HVAC Guy. Lucky lady!!

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:04 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
My husband is super handy. We don’t have an HVAC guy, or a plumber, or an electrician…he does most of the work himself and saves us loads of $$$. There are some things he can’t do so then he might call someone.

An HVAC guy would prob change the filters and lubricate the system with Freon. Freon needs to be done every 2-3 years for the most part. By living in the house you can tell of the system is efficient. If your husband can do all this you have a built in HVAC Guy. Lucky lady!!

AFAIK he's never done Freon. I will ask him about it.

We definitely save lots of money because he's handy, but then sometimes things go wrong and it costs more to fix what he tried to fix. The other downside is that he's a busy man and doesn't get to stuff right away, so as much as he is able to do things, he doesn't have the time. Yet for me to call someone down is a waste of money and an insult to his abilities, so lots of stuff end up piling up and not getting done. He can do things doesn't mean that he actually does things. (Just putting the other side of the coin out there!)

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
AFAIK he's never done Freon. I will ask him about it.

We definitely save lots of money because he's handy, but then sometimes things go wrong and it costs more to fix what he tried to fix. The other downside is that he's a busy man and doesn't get to stuff right away, so as much as he is able to do things, he doesn't have the time. Yet for me to call someone down is a waste of money and an insult to his abilities, so lots of stuff end up piling up and not getting done. He can do things doesn't mean that he actually does things. (Just putting the other side of the coin out there!)

Freon is no longer used in the US and it doesn't lubricate - never did. It is part of the way in which air is conditioned to be cool.

There are other coolants now used which are environmentally safer but in general the coolant is in a closed system. If you needed to replace it or fill it, there is a leak in the system. Leaks are hard to find and so often if they aren't too bad, the HVAC person will just refill when the HVAC stops working properly until there is a point when it is time to replace because it is so leaky - or of course for other reasons.

I have the HVAC guy come once a year just to make sure there isn't something that should be attended to mechanically. It's relatively inexpensive and I think an ounce of prevention prevents a pound of trouble.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:17 pm
My husband is an HVAC contractor, and I agree with your husband.

If your DH is handy enough and changing filters regularly (every time you nag isn't enough), and the AC is working, then he's right... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Once you notice that something is wrong, you should call your AC guy. Yes, you should have a professional look at it when it is not working.

But if it's working fine? No. Trust your husband more.

And just a word about Freon... we don't use that brand anymore, but we do still use refrigerant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry