amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:33 am
Local friends would get my vote.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:43 am
I would choose school C

I went to a school A type of elementry school - and without going into details a certain percentage of pre -teens really do not do well in the very involved principal kind of place.

I see school as a do no harm place. My job is to be warm and build my kids up and provide compliments.
The schools job is to teach and not do damage. In the bigger, more well run schools less issues come up because they now what they are doing and it is easier for the more independent type of kid to go under the radar - which is a good thing.

I went to a big high school and it was my saving grace - when I wasn't under the radar and being dissected as a problem kid just because I was more independent I did great, but in 7-8th grade in the small warm involved school almost pushed me OTD.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:34 am
From the way you write it, you want A, go with your gut.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 6:07 am
A sounds appealing but I don't think it's good that the principal is so warm and the close knit could be a bit too much.

C would be my choice, I've come to realise that a large established school is a safe bet because your child will be around plenty of children so that she can discover her own niche. Things tend to be organised and efficient with the staff structure making sure that problems are taken care of, I find that small schools often don't have enough staff and so problems can be overlooked more.

For my daughter, we will probably also have a choice between a school like A and C at first I was leaning towards A because the hashkafa matches more in school C we will be on the modern end. But C is more academic and I think that's important if your child is capable and also the school is well established so had enough resources to help kids with problems....

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 7:07 am
amotloopher NeonPink wrote:
I guess I'm the only one but I say B.
Actually switched 1 of my kids from a school similar to A to a different school that is B.
I can not describe the difference!
It is unbelievable. Both for me as a parent and for my child!

For my children specifically, I would choose b.

Some children don't need any type of light focused on them.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:30 am
I had only the A and C choices. I went to C as a kid. It was a great school (but also the only existing school growing up), but it's grown soooo big now. It had 60-80 girls a grade (3 parallel classes) in my time and now more like 140 (7 parallel classes). I didn't love the concept of a new principal every 2 years (which is a more recent concept). If my child has an issue, I have to build repour with a new person every 2 years!

We looked into both and would have been OK in both, but we ultimately went with A. My oldest child in that school just finished 4th grade. Because they are so warm and so on top of things, they picked up on academic issue before I even noticed anything. They worked with me and my daughter and really pulled her up academically but also emotionally (she is way more confident). My next was having difficulty picking up reading (both hebrew and english). They worked with her to give her the extra help. The advocated for her like I've never seen. BH she just finished 1st grade and is reading on level.

We really love school A.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:39 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Side note I love how wherever you live you have the schools worked out in your head 😅 I live in Lakewood so a was nachlas b bnos bracha and c bais faiga

I was thinking the exact same schools!

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:29 pm
Pick the school where they handle the girls social and emotinoal sides best. Girls in elementary school can be horrible to each other, having teachers who know how to handle that is worth more than most other factors at school

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:38 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
I was thinking BBY, BYAM, and TAG.

Who is this warm principal giving hugs at Bby?? Scratching Head
Also Bby is huge I wouldn’t call it medium size anymore

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:40 pm
I know it sounds very far off but consider where the girls go to high school amd what kid of high school you’re comfortable with and whether it’s harder or easier to get in depending on where you send for elementary. At the elementary school level the girls tend to sound similar but when you see where the girls go after you can sometimes see greater differences.

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:49 pm
amother Heather wrote:
if lakewood, I think A. is BEM B. bnos brocha and C. is Bais faiga? Curious if Im right OP.

I thought there are no choices in Lakewood, you're at the mercy of whichever school accepts you?
Op seems to think she has a choice.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:35 pm
I would be nervous about too much riding on a single principal and go with C.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics