Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Brooklyn Support Groups/ASD

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:16 pm
Hi,
I have been pushing off seeking support for myself as a mother of an amazing little autistic kid since I have social anxiety and phone calls are my worst enemy.
Does anyone have leads to support groups either in person or online that they would recommend?

In a perfect world I would just have a couple of friends who are in the same boat as me instead of meeting many new people who I likely won’t be able to relate to either way.

As of now I follow people on social media who post about their experience raising an autistic child and most of the time that’s good enough for me.

Every now and then the loneliness will hit me like a ton of bricks and I need support from people who can understand in those times.

Thanks in advance for any leads and advice 🙏

cuties' mom  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:49 pm
Where in Brooklyn are you? I'm not in any support groups, but if you live in or near Marine Park, pm me. Maybe we can hang out sometimes on a long Shabbos afternoon. Ds didn't make any friends since we moved so Shabbos is lonely.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,
I have been pushing off seeking support for myself as a mother of an amazing little autistic kid since I have social anxiety and phone calls are my worst enemy.
Does anyone have leads to support groups either in person or online that they would recommend?

In a perfect world I would just have a couple of friends who are in the same boat as me instead of meeting many new people who I likely won’t be able to relate to either way.

As of now I follow people on social media who post about their experience raising an autistic child and most of the time that’s good enough for me.

Every now and then the loneliness will hit me like a ton of bricks and I need support from people who can understand in those times.

Thanks in advance for any leads and advice 🙏
I have a whattsapp support group for moms of kids on spectrum that I find super validating and helpful

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:59 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
I have a whattsapp support group for moms of kids on spectrum that I find super validating and helpful

Can I get more info on this and how I can join?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:01 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
Where in Brooklyn are you? I'm not in any support groups, but if you live in or near Marine Park, pm me. Maybe we can hang out sometimes on a long Shabbos afternoon. Ds didn't make any friends since we moved so Shabbos is lonely.

I live pretty far from there..
Also my kid is a runner so whenever I go out I don’t really get to talk to people since I’m constantly moving around with them

Your offer means the world to me tho! ❤️

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:01 pm
I’m part of a what’s app group and also an online membership that has truly been amazing. Will find out the link for the group. The membership is called transcend. There is help out there…

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:09 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
I’m part of a what’s app group and also an online membership that has truly been amazing. Will find out the link for the group. The membership is called transcend. There is help out there…

Is it open to anyone or only those who are part of the membership?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'd love that info as well.

mother6

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
pm me

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 11:49 pm
What age is it for?
I have a 19 year old

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:37 am
Hia! How old is your child? We're based out of marine park and would love a friend on Shabbat!

cuties' mom wrote:

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:03 pm
amother Peach wrote:
Hia! How old is your child? We're based out of marine park and would love a friend on Shabbat!

Ds is 15 but he's on the lower end of the spectrum and is closer to a toddler/preschool level than a teen level.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)