Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Can you tell it's not hair? (lace top wig)
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:16 am
Hoping not to get tomatoes thrown at me... Genuinely wondering if it's just me that often cannot tell if someone is wearing a wig. Of course I assume that the people I know are married are wearing lace top even if they seem totally uncovered to me. However I recently went out to eat with my husband and as I walked through tables of couples, It struck me, that I had no idea which girls were on dates and which couples were married. I've met new people and wondered to myself if they were married (or if I should ask what type of shidduch they were looking for). I don't say anything to anyone, and don't look to butt in, but I was just wondering if I'm alone in the fact that I can't tell the difference.
To give a drop of context, I also can't tell if someone is expecting either until much later in the pregnancy. I also don't trust myself and therefore never assume anything (which has saved me from embarrassment in the past!).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:24 am
Years ago I befriended a non Jewish hardiesse. She didn't see my synthetic cheapo from Amazon was a wig.

amother
Aubergine  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:25 am
Yes always. I see the top so clearly. I actually think it’s ugly to see the skin piece and it looks weird. I don’t get the hype personally.

ap

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:26 am
I'm observant by nature but lace wigs are too natural looking..
If it's really pretty it's most likely a wig

amother
Cognac  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:28 am
I can almost always tell

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:28 am
You can literally see the lace. Drives me crazy 🤪. I still wear them.

amother
Midnight  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:30 am
Lately I’ve seen very good ones.
Eventually sometimes I can tell but it takes time. Or from afar you cannot tell at all. Like you can’t tell which are older teen daughters or the mother in a family group

Sometimes the front is super natural. But as soon as you see the back you know it’s a wig…

amother
  Cognac  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:32 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
Yes always. I see the top so clearly. I actually think it’s ugly to see the skin piece and it looks weird. I don’t get the hype personally.

You mean the lace piece?
I’m looking for a new wig and was told to expect lace to last 2 years bs skin top 3-4. I don’t get why so many people want to pay for new wigs so frequently!

amother
  Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:34 am
amother Cognac wrote:
You mean the lace piece?
I’m looking for a new wig and was told to expect lace to last 2 years bs skin top 3-4. I don’t get why so many people want to pay for new wigs so frequently!

Yes I mean the lace you see it on the forehead it’s such a clear line and you see it on the top of the head. From far it looks more natural but up close it looks weird.

amother
Violet  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:36 am
I can tell it’s a wig if it’s styled. If it’s the air dried look, I can’t always tell unless the lace is more obvious or there’s a hair bump

amother
  Violet

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:40 am
https://youtu.be/d9eiyoI9WCI?s.....OITdp

This is a video from James Borden’s show called “spot the wig”. I knew which one was the lace top within the first minute. In person, I’d probably spot it faster.

There’s always a certain wiginess

amother
  Cognac

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:41 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
Yes I mean the lace you see it on the forehead it’s such a clear line and you see it on the top of the head. From far it looks more natural but up close it looks weird.

Agree that’s why I’m prob going with a new skin top, and also bec I’m saving
Money in the long run

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 6:06 am
Not always, but than again I can't tell which men are married either.

Unless you are planning to ask a woman if she is available for shidduchim, why do you need to know her marital status from her appearence?

amother
Powderblue  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 6:09 am
I have heard that there are lace top and lace front, I'm not sure what the difference is. Some shaitels I can tell, some I can't. Maybe it's the lace top which I can? Never really asked people what they are wearing.

amother
  Powderblue  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 6:11 am
Raisin wrote:
Not always, but than again I can't tell which men are married either.

Unless you are planning to ask a woman if she is available for shidduchim, why do you need to know her marital status from her appearence?

Because the famous heter from R Moshe to wear whatever is only if women can tell it's a wig. Not sure why, but that is the halachah according to R Moshe.

I think that was a chidush because the point of wearing a wig is to show you're married, from what I understand.

amother
Cappuccino  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:39 am
I can tell by looking at the hair line.

amother
Mauve  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:40 am
I mentioned this on another thread.

I can barely tell especially if it’s super curly and looks exactly like your hair.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:44 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
Because the famous heter from R Moshe to wear whatever is only if women can tell it's a wig. Not sure why, but that is the halachah according to R Moshe.

I think that was a childish because the point of wearing a wig is to show you're married, from what I understand.

That’s not the point of a wig. The point of the wig is to cover the hair of a married woman, which is Ervah. Nothing to do with letting people know you are married.

This is a machlokes. Many rabbonim hold it’s fine, many rabbonim hold it’s not fine. The rabbonim who hold it’s not ok probably also do not allow fall wigs, and specify what length wig is ok.

This is largely community/Rav dependent.

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:58 am
I dont relate to this at all.

I have NEVER gotten confused if someone was married or not..

seriously ladies! you can 100% tell the difference in wig or hair!!

are you all extremely unobservant??

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:13 am
Hairline aside, NOONE's HAIR LOOKS THAT GOOD. Yes, I was screaming.

Look around you next time you go outside the frum world. Only women in sheitels have that perfect Pantene commercial head of hair. My non-Jewish and Jewish but not frum bosses and coworkers have the best wig radar for that reason.

Yes, we can tell. No, I don't think there are any issues with a lace top - covering is not easy and I think every women has to do it however she thinks she looks best.

I don't see an issue with Pantene hair. If she can afford it, let her have luxurious locks, and enjoy it! But let's not fool ourselves - only people right out of the salon, or wearing spectacular wigs have hair that stunning.

Yes, we can tell.

Per the rabbonim on the lace top episodes of halacha headlines, what I wrote above is the very reason these sheitels are halacically acceptable. We can all tell they are wigs, no matter how much it looks like it grew out of your scalp. The rest of the hair is just too perfect to be someone's actual natural hair. It's perfectly kosher.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels