Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Enfamil formula toxic
Previous  1  2

EstyEF

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:33 pm
Guys. I didn’t even read the lawsuit but that the sketchiest looking thing I’ve ever seen.

By all means, breastfeed your babies if you can. It’s great for their health.
But can we not fear-monger?
Please?

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:26 pm
TLDR
Some of my kids were failure to thrive and were on formula. Better to have live kids than dead kids! And I didn’t have enough milk for some kids, yes I went to LC and was told to use formula. BH they’re all good now.

smss

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Should I keep giving my baby Enfamil? Or switch? I read 1 in 4 die..

Maybe 1 in 4 preemies who had NEC die, not 1 in 4 babies who had Enfamil!

The correlation between formula and NEC is thought to be the cow's milk protein so it's unlikely to be an issue with these specific brands, just cow's milk formula in general.

NEC is so so so rare in full term babies - the rate is 1 in 10,000 (0.0001%). And of those babies, 80% recover. This is a class action lawsuit I.e. people trying to sue for money. It's not in any way a warning from healthcare professionals.

cookier  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:28 am
If your baby is older than 34 weeks gestation and weighs more than 2lbs, you don’t need to worry.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 3:31 am
teachkids wrote:
It is dangerous for premies under certain circumstances. I haven’t seen anything about danger in full term infants. (Other than recalls, but that happens with food too). If your baby is a premie, go consult with your dr. Otherwise, get off Facebook

Just this specific formula or all formula?
My child was in the NICU and was given formula. Today a strapping teen that thankfully is very strong and built for a good long life. The formula "garbage" saved that child's life.

cookier

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 1:23 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Just this specific formula or all formula?
My child was in the NICU and was given formula. Today a strapping teen that thankfully is very strong and built for a good long life. The formula "garbage" saved that child's life.

All formula. Anything other than breastmilk increases the risk for NEC in preemies. Even human milk fortifiers made from cows milk can cause it, though it’s not as high risk as straight formula. My preemie is one and the NICU we were in doesn’t give formula to any baby under 34 weeks, as they’re at highest risk. The risk drops every week and by 41 weeks is almost nonexistent. The research is still evolving, and may have been almost nonexistent when your child was born, but the main theories are that the osmolality of formula (meaning the concentration of dissolved solids) or the actual protein structure of cows milk are what irritate their intestines and cause NEC.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 1:58 pm
My baby was on formula in addition to my breastmilk during his hospital stay. He did develop NEC but he was fortunate that it wasn’t very serious for him

He’s a 24 weeker
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics