Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Is eating out worth it for the amount of money spent.
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  Whitewash

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I assume we are coming from different cultures. I came With a large family on Aliyah. Maybe we are living on less but I am not interested in the ''Excitement'' of the restaurant. We are going out to eat because our family is hungry and I don't want to cook. For us $85 a person is alot of money and I am expecting a nice amount of food. I understand what you are saying though. When relatives come here and we go out for brunch or something, they do not finish eating their food. The family living here in Jerusalem laughs about this all the time. We always finish whatever is on our plates.

Then you don't go to a restaurant. You get takeout from a store, or pizza or falafel or shwarma. Or you serve breads and spreads. Then you'll not have to cook and people will be full.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 5:20 pm
I love going out but we always order a lot. I also only think its worth it if you have a lot of money, if youre struggling its not the way I would spend.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 11:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
For us $85 a person is alot of money and I am expecting a nice amount of food.

It's the other way around, though. In a fancy restaurant they give you small quantities of amazing food. Like, top-quality steak, or something artistic and unique the chef thought up.

It's the cheap restaurants that give lots of simple, filling food.

If you want to be full, go to a hummusia and get a bunch of platters of hummus and meat for 40 shekels each. Or a bunch of cheap 30-shekel pizzas or falafel. The more you pay, the more you're going to get quality not quantity.

It's not just an Israel thing FTR. In the US too, $5 gets you a hamburger that could feed a village for a week, $150 gets you a little strip of duck meat shaped like an origami swan and lightly sprinkled in pistachio-mulberry sauce.

It's not entirely logical but I guess the assumption is that the more you're paying, the more you're in it for the experience not the quantity.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 11:23 pm
Eating put is about the experience of trying new foods or foods you wouldn't usually make at home for whatever reason - accessibility, finance, patchke, etc
Not about being full.
Having said that on the rare occasions we eat out (?once a year) we are so full, but even then we go to less fancy places

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 4:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I assume we are coming from different cultures. I came With a large family on Aliyah. Maybe we are living on less but I am not interested in the ''Excitement'' of the restaurant. We are going out to eat because our family is hungry and I don't want to cook. For us $85 a person is alot of money and I am expecting a nice amount of food. I understand what you are saying though. When relatives come here and we go out for brunch or something, they do not finish eating their food. The family living here in Jerusalem laughs about this all the time. We always finish whatever is on our plates.

If you are just looking to go out because you don't feel like cooking, and are not looking for the excitement of a nice restaurant, of course a nice streak restaurant will be the wrong choice and you won't be happy with it.

It's like going into a store that sells only famcy evening gowns and then complaining that everything is too expensive and there's nothing practical to wear for everyday use.

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 4:51 am
I don't enjoy eating out. Food takes a while to come and you never know whats in the food. I would rather have help cooking and cleaning up. When I do eat out, it's at the cheaper places with simpler foods that are ready faster.

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 4:58 am
There was a time when they used to do a lot of both. When we didn't feel like cooking, we would go to a cheap place and buy lots of food for 40 bucks. When we wanted a fancy night out we'd go to a steakhouse for $200. It's a totally different experience. The question I would ask myself is do I want supper or do I want a night out?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics