Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Is eating out worth it for the amount of money spent.
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:39 pm
When you go to a ''fancy meat restaurant'' do you come home full? I have been to places that are $75 -$85 a person and did not come home full. I have been to simpler places for shawarma and was fuller. (with eating Pita). We are usually home eaters (because of financial reasons).

AlwaysHoping

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:41 pm
Not just for the full feeling, it's for the whole experience. You can get a bagel sandwitch for $5 and feel full also

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:55 pm
Yes I do but it’s more like $150-200 pp or more at fancy places

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:00 pm
I’m usually overstuffed but I’m not a big eater. I can’t finish a whole steak so it’s usually shared. That plus appetizer and dessert and I can’t move.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
When you go to a ''fancy meat restaurant'' do you come home full? I have been to places that are $75 -$85 a person and did not come home full. I have been to simpler places for shawarma and was fuller. (with eating Pita). We are usually home eaters (because of financial reasons).

Absolutely. Maybe you’re not ordering enough… some items will be smaller portion sizes like baby lamb chops, etc. But if you order a steak which comes with sides, I don’t see how you won’t get full. Plus they serve bread on the table…

When we go to a nice place, we order appetizers as well so there’s no way you leave hungry. But if you’re on a tight budget, I agree you’re better off going to a less pricey place so you get more bang for your buck food-wise, but you won’t get the atmosphere and elegance, obviously.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:03 pm
Depends where you. If it's a fancy restaraunt portions are smaller

Lucky Princess

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:04 pm
Where do you eat out for that price?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:19 pm
We come out feeling full but very fatigued. We don’t think eating out is worth it and we do it very rarely

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:30 pm
Eating out is my love language lol

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:31 pm
Restaurants are very expensive, not worth it.

But what else can a frum couple do together?

We don't go to movies.

If you go to a concert it's usually separate seating.

Separate seating at simchos.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:36 pm
Eating out at fancy places for us is really only birthdays and anniversarys.
we enjoy going but feel sick at how much it costs even though we enjoyed it.
DH asked for his birthday if I can rather make something special at home which he will enjoy more like a fancy steak meal (we generally dont eat steak otherwise) and it was really enjoyable and didnt have the huge pricetag.
for my birthday I explained its the not cooking that is the gift for me rather than the eating out experience so DH helped me make a nice meal and it was so much fun - this was 2 weeks ago.

our birthdays and anniversary is within 3 months so it can also get expensive and a bit much living in a place which doesnt have alot of nice plaes to eat at.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:44 pm
We hardly ever go because it is very expensive and high mark up but I always walk out feeling stuffed.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 4:47 pm
When I eat out I don’t think if it as getting full. I think of it as the experience.
Would I spend 500$ for a steak, and a drink? No. But here I’m spending on the experience. Not the food.
If I just wanted quick and easy food to fill myself I would spend under 20$ at a bagel shop and I’d feel full.
Or I’d go to the grocery. Shop for steaks. Put them on my grill and take a wine from my house.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 5:30 pm
OP here. We usually do not order the appetizers. Main with a drink. We also don't get 3 sides. Maybe we get a small salad. They give some bread with tiny size portions of dips but I don't want to fill up on the bread. We live Not far from Ramot. (Yerushalayim). I can't imagine spending more than $85 (each) on a meal. I would rather buy a shawarma and you get salad, pickles, it's quite filling for cheaper.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 5:40 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Restaurants are very expensive, not worth it.

But what else can a frum couple do together?

We don't go to movies.

If you go to a concert it's usually separate seating.

Separate seating at simchos.

We don't usually eat out as a couple. Not many options where we live. Our "dates" are usually hanging out together at home, going for a walk, hiking... But when the weather is bad it's tough...

You can do instrumental concerts if that's your thing. We e done it as a family...

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:34 pm
For many people, eating out isn't about filling the belly. You can do that at home with a couple of bowls of cereal and milk. Eating out "fine dining" is about the experience: getting dressed up and going somewhere, being served, eating foods you wouldn't or couldn't prepare yourself...it would be nice if you left satisfied, of course, but it's not just about that. What you pay for is the ambiance, the service, the prestige...

amother
Smokey  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:39 pm
I’ve never eaten in a fancy restaurant I don’t know if I’d consider the experience worth it or not. Maybe I should try it once 😄

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:47 pm
Not worth it. Prices have gone insane.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

Of course if you eat bread (pita) you will be full.
When my husband and I go out to eat, I usually get sushi and a few appetizers, and then I’m full. Even if I don’t get sushi, I am full after a few appetizers.

:)iknowit  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:00 pm
We don’t feel like it’s worth it for us. Much prefer to buy steak and prepare it to our taste. If we go out it’s Schwarma.
For me it’s all about the food. I get social anxiety so definitely not an enjoyable experience. A night out would be us going to Whole Foods or the like and getting beautiful produce and then picking up a nice steak. We come home and prepare it together the way we like it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics