Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Rant.. I’m in the beauty industry
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkCyan  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m curious - do you think this should be a policy or maybe just something understood cuz it is pretty basic menchlakite.. or maybe we’ve come to a place where that doesn’t exist and adults need to be told with signs and rules ahead of time how to act ..

Not sure I understand your severe amnoyance.

First of all, cant tell how many times the BEAUTY SERVICE PROVIDER HERSELF I s on the phone while doing the service im paying hundreds for and twice while she was cuttimg my sheitel (two different pple - you think go back for a cut like that!)
, which results in me feeling uncomfortable trying to get her attention for my requests and questions.

Yes. This is very upsetting. I do feel im paying for the services providers attention.
Also, sometimes I want to relax and it ruins the quiet.

For the client, what is upsetting about their multitasking? Is it making things take longer for you? Is the noise annoying? Are you insulted about THEIR lack of attention?

Alot of ladies dont have the time for a beaty regimen and need to fit it in as they can. Also, when this happens to me and I take a call, that wasn't in the plan originally, I did intend to be pampered! but it didn't work out.

Sorry. Not sorry. Well I am sorry you feel bad, but I do what I need to do.

The reason you need to let pple know about your rule is they may choose a different provider who has less angst and is more flexible.

amother
Mint  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:32 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I don’t get why this bothers you. You’re doing your beauty related job, their hair or whatever. Why can’t they be productive and make personal or work calls? Their job isn’t to be social with you. It’s to show up and pay you for your service once you’re done.

Because she is a person too. And it's only derech eretz to treat her like one espescially as she is working for you!! It's not nice to treat anyone like a piece of furniture or just a lowly worker. The "I'm paying you to doa job so I can do whatever I want during that time" is NOT how you treat anyone!

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yep. Don’t plan to do anything about it. Just a vent.
Venting on imamother lately is like walking into the lions den

I feel like this is an extreme reaction..no one was being rude to you, they're just expressing their opinions on how they think you should handle the situation.

For the record, I'm with you. I think it's rude to walk into someone else's space and then shush them like they're in your office. I would never, and have never, done such a thing. Just for some perspective though, sometimes people really are just super crunched for time. There are so many things that can only happen during business hours, and working women have to double book themselves somewhere. I'm sure some of your customers are just flat out oblivious rude and but I'm also sure some of them just have little choice.

amother
  Stone

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Because she is a person too. And it's only derech eretz to treat her like one espescially as she is working for you!! It's not nice to treat anyone like a piece of furniture or just a lowly worker. The "I'm paying you to doa job so I can do whatever I want during that time" is NOT how you treat anyone!

I don’t agree at all. It’s not treating someone like a piece of furniture or a lowly worker to make phone calls while they’re doing your hair. The transaction is clear - I’m paying you to do my hair. As long as you do your part and I do my part, we’re good.

amother
  Holly

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:41 pm
It's definitely rude, but I think in today's era manners are really lacking. People aren't in tune to what is considered rude.

I sometimes have to be in a meeting or on the phone, but I'd ask you when I was making the appt if that's OK.

amother
  Mint

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:44 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I don’t agree at all. It’s not treating someone like a piece of furniture or a lowly worker to make phone calls while they’re doing your hair. The transaction is clear - I’m paying you to do my hair. As long as you do your part and I do my part, we’re good.

It is treating her like a worker by not only ignoring her, but having a conversation with others as if she is not there. It's not acting like a mensh.

And yes, I get that everyone is very busy, but planning a work call to overlap an appointment is wrong. Calls happen. Sometimes there is necessity to use the phone a bit during an appointment, but to plan that time-nope, it's not right. The least a person can do is ask (when booking the appointment) if it's ok if she plans a work call/meeting for the time of the appointment.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:45 pm
This affects every industry, every doctors waiting room, grocery line etc..

We have all lost our marbles- it’s rude, un-classy and extremely disrespectful. Tznius in public is not just clothes.

If you are expecting an important phone call, please tell your doctor/beautician/whoever that you might need to take a personal phone call. Or step out.

It’s also taking away time from whoever is working on you and the process takes much longer.

I would put a sign.

lamplighter  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for this!
Seems based on replies here that you have a controversial opinion.

Won't be the first time LOL

amother
Clover  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ye, it’s not clear. After my OP a few people responded to make a sign or have a policy when they make the appt. I wrote in my second post “do u think that’s necessary or maybe it should just be understood “ I don’t actually have any intention of doing it

I thought it was just to be understood that this behavior is rude, but then I saw replies. Yes, the policy is unfortunately necessary.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:48 pm
Aside from the rudeness issue, there's another element that really bothers me: privacy.

Last week I was in a medical clinic waiting room with many other frum patients. A man took a call regarding a shidduch he was trying to make. He happily rabbited on about some quirks in the family of the potential chosson and then began explaining why he felt the match might work.

I didn't know whom he was talking about, but I could have easily, as could 10 other people there. And even the non-Jews were subjected to listening to the whole megillah about the potential kallah's weird family situation.

Whether you're making a shidduch or participating in a work meeting, everyone involved has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Even involving a single additional person is inappropriate.

lamplighter  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:51 pm
Taking a meeting or being on the phone the entire time you are at an appointment is basically ignoring the fact that you are in the presence of another person. You're acting as if they are invisible and that feels demeaning to a service worker.

Last edited by lamplighter on Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  Clover  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:51 pm
I’m wondering. Those of you that think this is acceptable, would you do it in any other setting? Dentist appointment? Ultrasound? Massage?

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:53 pm
I use my phone to text or read but I wouldn't take a call unless it was urgent.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:57 pm
That’s really rude and not ok. It would never cross my mind to take a call while someone is working on me.

No, not even when I get manicures and the woman can be speaking in rapid chinese or Persian to her coworkers in front of my face.

Cheiny  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I work on my clients in my studio in my home. In the last few months I’ve
- listened in on several over 30 min long work zoom session
- a meeting with early intervention therapist
- many many work calls and conversations
- calls with Shadchan following up on dates

If you have an appt to have something done where you’ll actively be worked on it’s not a good time for other calls. Sometimes woman walk in and sign for me to be quiet the whole time. I find it irritating and rude
Thanks for letting me vent

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. I can’t figure out what people could be thinking! Do they not realize their private matters should be done privately and isn’t what others should hear or want to hear?

amother
  Clover

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:58 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Not sure I understand your severe amnoyance.

First of all, cant tell how many times the BEAUTY SERVICE PROVIDER HERSELF I s on the phone while doing the service im paying hundreds for and twice while she was cuttimg my sheitel (two different pple - you think go back for a cut like that!)
, which results in me feeling uncomfortable trying to get her attention for my requests and questions.

Yes. This is very upsetting. I do feel im paying for the services providers attention.
Also, sometimes I want to relax and it ruins the quiet.

For the client, what is upsetting about their multitasking? Is it making things take longer for you? Is the noise annoying? Are you insulted about THEIR lack of attention?

Alot of ladies dont have the time for a beaty regimen and need to fit it in as they can. Also, when this happens to me and I take a call, that wasn't in the plan originally, I did intend to be pampered! but it didn't work out.

Sorry. Not sorry. Well I am sorry you feel bad, but I do what I need to do.

The reason you need to let pple know about your rule is they may choose a different provider who has less angst and is more flexible.

So because some service providers are unprofessional, you need to be rude to all of them?
The OP is not responsible for others and has a right to vent here without whataboutism.

And if you don’t have time for your beauty regimen, just skip it or do it yourself at home while taking all the calls you want.

Cheiny  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:02 pm
amother Stone wrote:

The part that bothers me is that people have no compunctions about discussing private issues in public so others have no choice but to hear them… even in the supermarket, I’m constantly shaking my head at how many people are discussing every subject under the sun on their phones in loud voices as if there’s no sense of modesty and privacy.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:06 pm
Fox wrote:
Aside from the rudeness issue, there's another element that really bothers me: privacy.

Last week I was in a medical clinic waiting room with many other frum patients. A man took a call regarding a shidduch he was trying to make. He happily rabbited on about some quirks in the family of the potential chosson and then began explaining why he felt the match might work.

I didn't know whom he was talking about, but I could have easily, as could 10 other people there. And even the non-Jews were subjected to listening to the whole megillah about the potential kallah's weird family situation.

Whether you're making a shidduch or participating in a work meeting, everyone involved has a reasonable expectation of privacy. Even involving a single additional person is inappropriate.

Yes. Reminds me of the story where a few young women were on a bus in Israel loudly discussing a former classmate or friend, and were saying some not very positive things about her. A smart older woman went over to them and thanked them for allowing her to overhear their conversation, claiming that she was about to make a shidduch for the person they were discussing, and that since she now heard those negatives things about her, she’ll know not to fix her up! The young gossipers were understandably horrified, and then the woman told them what she said wasn’t really true, but it easily could have been. They got the message…

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:09 pm
amother Stone wrote:

And if your sheitelmacher or beautician would be speaking non-stop on the phone while she was doing her work, how would you feel?

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:19 pm
It’s also very hard to work on your face or hair with your phone near your ear and your constant movements. And if your phone is on speaker it’s annoying and lacking privacy. There are times that one should not multi task.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics