Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Another camp rant- showers!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
RosePink  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:54 am
Nobody's looking, and if they are, there's something wrong with them. It's not like there's no curtain. Would you never change your clothing in a locker room? It's only women and everybody's just doing their own thing. If the curtain is closed, it's occupied. If someone comes in by accident it's their fault, but it's just an accident like if someone walks in on someone in a bathroom. It's embarrassing in the moment and then you forget. I think daughters pick up on these things from their parents. If we don't make it a big deal, then it isn't.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:56 am
We had curtains in camp I don’t see the issue. No one ever walked in if the shower was on it was obvious someone was using it.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 9:41 am
Every camp I've been in has curtains, they cover everything just fine. If the curtain is closed, you assume someone is in there, when you leave the shower, you shove it to the side so everyone knows it's available. Not a big deal. If the curtains are too small to actually cover the entrance, then that is a reason to tell the camp they need better curtains.

amother
Brown  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 9:43 am
That’s part of the camp experience. We also had this in seminary.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:01 am
Every camp I went to (4 total) had only curtains. I never showered without a swimsuit on. Not sure what the big deal is. The water can clean under the swimsuit just fine. It's a month. This is one of the last things I'd think to complain about. Let's teach our children a little resilience please

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:05 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Every camp I've been in has curtains, they cover everything just fine. If the curtain is closed, you assume someone is in there, when you leave the shower, you shove it to the side so everyone knows it's available. Not a big deal. If the curtains are too small to actually cover the entrance, then that is a reason to tell the camp they need better curtains.

Where do the girls undress & dress before/after the shower?

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:14 am
Omg. You need just one silly girl to prank someone.
Or a mishap and the curtain falls.

naomi2

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:18 am
It's camp, not a resort. For the last 75 years girls were just fine with curtains, let her deal with it and grow from the experience

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:20 am
naomi2 wrote:
It's camp, not a resort. For the last 75 years girls were just fine with curtains, let her deal with it and grow from the experience

We had regular shower stalls with doors.
Never heard of only curtains & between us siblings, we've been to several different camps.

amother
Acacia  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:25 am
naomi2 wrote:

A few decades ago, people were fine with locker rooms with full nudity, and now most people are not.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:26 am
When I was in camp decades ago, there were two showers for our entire bunk. People would rush to form lines so they would have a chance to shower that night before lights out. I had no patience for lines so sometimes I would go 3 days without showering. One OD found out and she was horrified. She let me shower even though it was after lights out and gave me a whole speech.

If you're on here, thanks! Don't worry, I turned out normal in the end. And I shower every single night LOL.

amother
Topaz  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:45 am
The camp I went to has a thin door and ppl from the other bunk can climb on the wall and see into the shower.
When I went to teen camp (8-9grade) Same camp, but they had bathtubs interestingly but they would always fill up to the top so everybody showered in rain boots.

amother
  Nemesia

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:47 am
amother Geranium wrote:
Same!! And we were considered the high maintenance camp

ha! me used to take our towel and drape it over the shower curtain so someone knew we were in there. ooh remember when someone left the back door by the lines open and a chill got in while we were showering?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 11:57 am
Never went to a camp where we showered in bathing suits! Everyone wore flip flops in the shower, though. I’ve had both doors and just curtains, I don’t remember any shocking incidents in a variety of camps.

chrysanthemum12  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:12 pm
The first year I went to camp and saw curtains by the shower I was horrified, but I dealt with it. Showered when bunkhouse was pretty much empty, spoke to my counselors about concerns. By the next year I was totally comfortable because I realized no one is looking...

chrysanthemum12

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Where do the girls undress & dress before/after the shower?

either you bring a bathrobe and undress/redress in the bathroom or you hang your clothes over the shower rod and redress there.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:17 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
I don't know what the exact conditions are like at this camp, but to me it sounds like typical self conscious tween girls in department store dressing rooms who are convinced that everybody else in the store is just dying to get a glimpse of them through the tiny space between the curtains and the wall, insisting their mothers hold the curtains for them while they change.
This is exactly it. I was the socially off teen who showered without a bathing suit. No one ever commented so clearly they weren’t peeking, or if they were they wouldn’t admit it … Wink

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 2:16 pm
I went to a camp that had shower curtains and another that had none at all. I was kind of shocked by being exposed in front of other girls, but we learned to hang towels or robes for privacy (once even a raincoat). My dorm in Israel did not have shower curtains at all. Got up early to get first shower or showered at off time in afternoon.

amother
  Acacia  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 2:32 pm
It's normal for preteens and teens to be extremely self-conscious about their changing bodies, and I don't see any reason not to give them a little more dignity. How hard is it to build a shower door with a vent?

amother
  Topaz  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 2:35 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
It's normal for preteens and teens to be extremely self-conscious about their changing bodies, and I don't see any reason not to give them a little more dignity. How hard is it to build a shower door with a vent?

My camp shower door had a hook eye, but could just pull the door on the eye Will pop open.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children